Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sundays Premier Football

Old March 19th, 2017, 21:51
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Sundays Premier Football

Middlesbrough 1-3 Manchester United: - (March 19th 2017)

Jesse Lingard's thunderous strike lit up what ended up being a nervy 3-1 win for Manchester United as relegation-threatened Middlesbrough rallied under caretaker boss Steve Agnew.

The final match for these two sides before the international break always promised to be an intriguing encounter. For Boro, it was their first since Aitor Karanka's sacking while United were reeling from key absentees and a demanding schedule.

Jose Mourinho said the fixture pile-up meant United would probably lose at the Riverside but they emerged victorious, with Lingard's powerful drive the standout moment in a 3-1 victory.

The England winger took aim from 25 yards and found the top right-hand corner with an outstanding effort, deservedly adding to Marouane Fellaini's first-half header.

It had looked like United's 600th Premier League win would be straightforward against goal-shy Boro, only for Rudy Gestede to capitalise on lax defending to reduce the deficit - his side's first league goal since January 31.

Belief grew around the Riverside only for an embarrassing moment to settle the match as Antonio Valencia capitalised on former United team-mate Victor Valdes' slip to wrap up a win that moves his side up to fifth.

Tempers frayed towards the end of a match, with Gestede and Eric Bailly squaring up to each other in an unseemly end to the game with tensions still high as the players made their way down the tunnel after the final whistle blew.

United were without Paul Pogba, Ander Herrera and Zlatan Ibrahimovic through injury or suspension, with the latter's absence meaning Marcus Rashford led the line.

The veteran's outstanding form has restricted the 19-year-old's chances through the middle and perhaps that rustiness contributed to his failure to net a seventh-minute opener, having ghosted past Bernardo only to see his low strike saved by Valdes.

It was a let-off for a Boro side during what had actually been a bright start, playing with an intensity and confidence which belied their miserable run.

The talented if inconsistent Gaston Ramirez forced David de Gea into action but that was as good as it got for Agnew's men in the first half as they reverted to form.

Boro's backline was being unsettled by Rashford's movement and prised open with increasing regularity, requiring Valdes to be at his best to keep it scoreless in the 23rd minute.

Rashford's frustration was clear after he somehow failed to turn home a fine Juan Mata cross, with United's former goalkeeper producing a superb reaction save to deny the teenager before stopping Valencia's follow-up.

Such heroics could not prevent what had felt like an inevitable opener arriving on the half-hour mark.

Ashley Young, deployed as left wing-back, cut onto his right foot and floated a cross to the far post for Fellaini to power in a header.

Boro's response to the goal was creditable but, like so many times this season, intricate build-up play was not matched by an end product.

Neither side saw fit to make half-time alterations and Middlesbrough started the second period brightly, albeit again without De Gea being put under the cosh.

That intent was leaving United space to exploit on the break, with ponderous play from Rashford forgotten after Lingard sent the travelling fans wild.

Leading the charge from just inside his own half, Lingard chose against passing to Mata and Rashford.

Instead, the 24-year-old took aim from 25 yards and rifled an outstanding strike into the top corner, leaving Valdes motionless.

But the game was not over as Alvaro Negredo, a handful all afternoon, directed two headers off-target as Boro pushed for a goal that arrived in the 77th minute.

January signing Gestede shot past De Gea after some woeful defending and Negredo claimed a penalty after going down under pressure from Phil Jones.

But Valdes' slip in injury time allowed Valencia the simplest of tap-ins to finally defeat the home side.
Old March 19th, 2017, 21:54
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Man City 1-1 Liverpool: - - News: - (March 19 2017)

Manchester City's response to their Champions League exit gave Pep Guardiola one of the proudest moments of his managerial career.

Four days after City lost on away goals to Monaco, they fought back from a goal down to earn a 1-1 draw with Premier League top-four rivals Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium.

City old boy James Milner gave Liverpool the lead from the penalty spot six minutes after half-time but Sergio Aguero equalised and both sides had golden chances to win the game.

Guardiola said: "We lived a tough two days after being out of the Champions League, our mood and what happened in Monaco.

"In the first half we were what we are, and in the second half again and again and again how many chances we missed, it was tough, and playing against a team like Liverpool who were all week preparing for the game.

"How they fight until the last moment, how they put absolutely everything that they had on the pitch. Sometimes you play important games but you are just focused on that and your mood is okay.

"We were sad and that is why I am so, so happy, it's one of the days I am proud the most being coach and being coach of those guys.

"More than ever I want to help the club, if I am able and if they want to stay with me, to put in the next years to be there with the next step forward."

Guardiola accepted City were not clinical enough once again, with Aguero unusually profligate from a couple of great opportunities late on while David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne were also culpable.

"We had the clear chances but we cannot score goals again, and that's why you cannot compete with the top teams. To achieve the big targets you have to be clinical," said Guardiola.

In a passionate press conference, the Spaniard reserved his most effusive praise for much-criticised defender John Stones.

"John Stones has more balls than everyone here," said Guardiola. "I am delighted to have John with all the huge amount of mistakes he has, I love him. Because it's not easy to play central defender with this manager."

In an end-to-end game, there were several penalty shouts before and after Gael Clichy was penalised for bringing down Roberto Firmino.

City had the better of the play and chances after that but Liverpool could also have won, with Adam Lallana's miss from in front of goal almost inexplicable.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said of the midfielder: "He's one of the best if not the best player technically I ever worked with. If he can't (explain the miss) - I thought it was because he worked so hard before.

"After the game Adam said immediately to me 'sorry', and I thought, 'Why?' Now I know why he thought he had to say sorry but he doesn't have to because his performance was outstanding."

Lallana's miss among other factors left Klopp feeling his side could have come away with more than a point.

He said: "Everybody around me was so excited - not in the dressing room, they felt a little bit like I did - but the wonderful piece of football we did and then Adam couldn't finish.

"But of course I know Aguero could have scored once or twice, a lot of penalty situations in the game. I cannot change it. But the game is positive of course, it's how you have to play against good sides.

"It was intense, we defended well. The problem is I expect things like this from us and I cannot run around after a draw against Man City. But of course it's good if you get a point in a game like this."

The result left Liverpool a point behind City, who have played a game fewer, with the race for the top four places behind Chelsea looking set to go to the wire.

"There is one outstanding side this year and they will be champions probably, that's then well deserved, and all the rest fights with all they have for the Champions League," said Klopp.

"We are one of these sides and that's good. If we do it, that's a success, and if we don't we will be disappointed but we will not stop working or believing in this project."