Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Times Up ! But for Who ? John or Jose

Old August 17th, 2015, 09:35
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Wink Times Up ! But for Who ? John or Jose

Start of the end for Terry (August 17 2015)

Niall Quinn says John Terry’s Chelsea career hangs in the balance after he was substituted at half-time in the 3-0 defeat at Manchester City.

Terry was replaced by Kurt Zouma at the break by Jose Mourinho after Chelsea had been run ragged by Sergio Aguero in the first half at the Etihad Stadium.

City went onto win the game 3-0 with Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho adding to Aguero's first-half strike.

It was the first time Mourinho had ever substituted Terry in the 177 appearances he has made under him at Chelsea.

Mourinho revealed post match that the decision was a tactical one and the second-half performance showed it to be the right one.

Quinn thinks that the 34-year-old Chelsea captain could struggle to regain his place in the side.

“I think it could be the start of the end for John Terry,” he said.

“I think he’s got a hell of a battle on now to get back in the team. To be taken off at half-time in a big game, he would be gutted. He’ll be thinking long and hard tonight about what it means for him.

“I think the manager made too much of a point about how right he was over the substitution. That’s telling.

“Terry looked a broken man when the cameras went to him in the second half. He must have been feeling the pressure and this doesn’t come out of the blue. He effectively got the blame for the first-half performance and the manager justified it afterwards by praising Kurt Zouma.

“I don’t think it bodes well for John Terry. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am.”

Meanwhile, Graeme Souness strongly disagreed with Quinn’s notion, believing that the decision to take off his captain was Mourinho making a statement to the Chelsea board.

Chelsea have struggled to make serious inroads in the transfer window with left-back Baba Rahman, Asmir Begovic and Radamel Falcao the only signings that have been brought in to challenge in the first-team.

Everton defender John Stones is a target for Chelsea but they have yet to increase their bid of £20m that was rejected last month.

Souness thinks that Mourinho’s substitutions were attempting to make a point to owner Roman Abramovich to potentially loosen the purse strings on their transfer budget.

“I don’t think it was anything to do with Terry’s performance,” Souness said.

“John Terry is still the best centre-back out there. I think he’s trying to force the owner’s hand to go and buy John Stones.

“I think it’s a manager making a statement to the owner, saying ‘I need more players’.

“What enhances my argument is the fact Cuadrado came on, who is up for sale. I think the manager wants more players and I think he was emphasising that point today.”

Benny's View .. I've heard Sam Allardyce is still available and likes London

Last edited by bennythedip2; August 17th, 2015 at 09:56.
Old August 18th, 2015, 14:14
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Panic stations at Chelsea

Everton stick to guns on Stones (August 18 2015)

Everton remain determined to hang on to John Stones amid reports of a fresh £30million bid being made for the defender by Chelsea .

The Toffees have already rejected offers of £20million and £26million from Chelsea over the summer for the 21-year-old England international.

And while Everton would neither confirm nor deny talk on Tuesday that they had turned down a third bid of £30million, it is understood the Merseyside outfit's stance on the matter has not changed.

That is that Stones is not for sale - something stressed by Everton boss Roberto Martinez last week.

Speaking on Thursday, Martinez said: "I have said before the player is not for sale and that is the end of it.

"Our situation has been very clear from the beginning. We are not a selling club who will lose our best performers.

"He is very important player for us and we are looking forward to seeing the best of John over the next few seasons, not just the next few weeks."

Speculation of Chelsea returning for Stones has heightened after John Terry was substituted by Jose Mourinho for the first time in 177 Premier League games in Sunday's 3-0 loss at Manchester City.

After the match, Mourinho said: "The point was not to take John out, but to put (Kurt) Zouma in. I want to have my fastest player on the pitch and not on the bench."

Mourinho has spoken of his lack of first-team defensive options, with five defenders before Baba Rahman's arrival made it six.

The 21-year-old Ghana left-back signed from Bundesliga side Augsburg on Sunday evening.

Speaking prior to the start of the campaign, which has begun with a Community Shield loss to Arsenal, a draw with Swansea and a loss to City, Mourinho said: "We have five defenders and we cannot go to the Premier League with five defenders. That's our weakness. Five is not enough. That's obvious."

Mourinho was also asked how many defenders he needed ahead of the season curtain-raiser.

"Seven plus a quality kid," he said, saying Ola Aina would be promoted to the first-team squad when needed.

It means Chelsea still have one defensive position to fill, but Mourinho has also spoken of a determination for his side to continue to show their new-found financial restraint.

It is something Everton may test.