Carabao Cup final

Old February 25th, 2018, 19:02
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Carabao Cup final

Arsenal 0-3 Man City:
Pep Guardiola secures silverware in Carabao Cup final
(February 25 2018)

Manchester City won their first silverware under Pep Guardiola as they cruised past a poor Arsenal side to win the Carabao Cup final 3-0 at Wembley.

Arsenal had beaten City at this ground in last season's FA Cup semi-final before overcoming Chelsea in the final, but hopes of a repeat were damaged on 18 minutes when Sergio Aguero finished clinically after a defensive mistake.

City were by no means at their rampant best, but that goal allowed them to command the game thereafter and when Vincent Kompany doubled his side's advantage just before the hour mark, the game was over as a contest.

David Silva added a third soon after as City's longer-serving players stepped up when it mattered most and City would surely have had more but for easing off with the trophy sealed.

Arsenal came in for harsh criticism for Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville which was not misplaced, and while manager Arsene Wenger will feel that Aguero's opener should not have stood following a push on Shkodran Mustafi, questions will surely be asked as to why none of his players produced.

January signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had an early chance to put Arsenal ahead - although with VAR in play, it might have been ruled out had the striker forced the ball past Claudio Bravo having been offside in the build-up.

Ten minutes later, it was Bravo who proved an unlikely provider as a punted goal-kick saw Mustafi caught the wrong side of Aguero, and while the Argentinian forward lent into his man prompting calls for a foul, ultimately it was a case of an Arsenal defender out of position.

Aguero still had work to do but as David Ospina rushed from his goal, the decision was made for City's record-breaker and he coolly lobbed the on-rushing goalkeeper to put his side ahead.

Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere struck hopeful attempts approaching half-time and Arsenal were still in the game as they trailed 1-0 coming out for the second half, until Kompany diverted the ball past Ospina on 58 minutes.

Shortly afterwards, Silva got onto the end of a Danilo pass to fire into the corner - this goal more a product of City's quality than Arsenal's lack of it - and from there City toyed with their opponents, allowing Arsenal to keep the scoreline fairly respectable.

Yet this was not a respectable performance from the Gunners, who allowed City to win their first trophy of the season without having to produce anything like their best performance.

Arsenal would surely have left the field to a chorus of boos, had enough of their supporters stuck around for the conclusion.

Guardiola stayed down on the pitch rather than joining his players to lift the trophy, but explained simply: "It's nicer to see it from here."

He added: "It's important, we're so happy. Big congratulations for all Manchester City.

"It was so important to win this one after the defeat in the (FA) Cup, it was a pity.

"The first half today was not good, a lot of mistakes in the simple passes. The second half we played with more personality and we were outstanding."

Aguero added: "For me and the team, a trophy is always special. I'm very happy for the moment.

"For me it was no foul, the challenge (on Mustafi before the goal). The finish was good, lucky but I'm happy because it was a goal."

City captain Kompany said: "I'm going to be honest, before the game I thought I was going to score. I came close a few times, it's just the luck on the day."

The Belgian's emotion was clear as he celebrated his goal and he reflected on the many injuries which have limited his playing time in recent seasons.

He said: "You have to be prepared to put in those six months of hard work - look at (Benjamin) Mendy, he's got an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament injury) - but it's worth the hard work to be standing out there. Every chance you have, you have to take."