Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jose Mourinho is now at the crossroads

Old December 20th, 2017, 23:22
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Jose Mourinho is now at the crossroads

Bristol City 2-1 Manchester United:

Robins claim shock Carabao Cup victory (December 20th 2017)

Bristol City knocked Manchester United out of the Carabao Cup as Korey Smith's stoppage-time strike secured a stunning 2-1 victory.

The Sky Bet Championship promotion challengers joined Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the last-four as Smith's winner rocked a star-studded United side.

Joe Bryan gave City a 51st-minute lead but Zlatan Ibrahimovic equalised shortly afterward. Then, just when extra-time beckoned, Smith was set free by Matty Taylor and delivered the victory.

United became City's fourth Premier League scalp in the Carabao Cup this season after they sent Watford, Stoke and Crystal Palace packing.

Manchester City are the next Premier League challenge for the Robins in the semi-finals.

United manager Jose Mourinho made 10 changes from the side that beat West Brom last weekend, with only Marcus Rashford retained. Ibrahimovic was named captain on his first start of the season, with Paul Pogba returning from suspension.

City boss Lee Johnson, meanwhile, called up goalkeeper Luke Steele - a regular Carabao Cup starter this season - instead of Frank Fielding, but the Robins were otherwise unchanged following a 2-1 victory over Nottingham Forest five days ago.

United's journey to the west country did not pass off incident-free, as the team's Bristol-bound private jet was diverted to Cardiff because of fog, a club spokesperson confirmed. It then meant a 50-mile journey by road to Bristol, although they arrived at the ground on schedule.

Sky Bet's Carabao Cup odds

To win the tournament

Manchester City - 8/13
Chelsea - 11/4
Arsenal - 7/2
Bristol City - 25/1

To reach the final

Manchester City - 1/20
Chelsea - 8/11
Arsenal - evens
Bristol City - 10/1

Post-match reaction

Bristol City defender Joe Bryan believes self-confidence and belief carried them into the Carabao Cup semi-finals.

Bryan told Sky Sports Football: "We don't go into any game this season we think we're going to lose. I think we're full of confidence and belief in yourself. I think we showed that tonight."

But the 24-year-old full-back can remember little about his second goal in three games.

On trying to recall the goal, he added: "I don't know. Honestly. It just broke and I hit it and it's gone in. I can't remember much until I see it again.

"Since we've (current crop of players) been playing here it's definitely the best night we've had."

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho felt it was "just another day at the office" for some of his team .

Mourinho said: "They were a bit lucky but they fought a lot to be lucky. They won the game in a moment where we have no possibilities to react. So I have to say they were a bit lucky.

"In the first half we hit the post twice before they scored the first goal but they played brilliantly. They fought like this was the game of their life, which probably it was. I think a beautiful day for football because a team from a lower division won and getting into a semi-final.

"A big day for them and a big day for their supporters so I congratulate to them. I don't want that I say they were a bit lucky to be the main thing of it. They main thing of it is that they won and they fought hard for that.

"In the first half we lacked intensity that they had and when I say intensity I say not just physical I say also mentally. For some of us was just one more day in the office. Probably a day that some of them don't even want to come to the office and for the Bristol boys was a big, big day for them.

"In the second half after their goal, we were the best team. We reacted well, the players had their pride. They tried to win the game in the 90 minutes and they were very lucky to have the goal in the last seconds. I don't want the fact that I use the word lucky to be the most important thing. The most important thing is that the Championship team beat a club like Manchester United.

"And for them a big night and in this club we know how to win and how to lose so we lose saying congratulations to them and good luck for the semi-final."