Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sprinter Sacre - Tha Star -

Old March 16th, 2016, 15:44
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Smile Sprinter Sacre - Tha Star -

Nicky Henderson's superstar Sprinter Sacre regained his crown with a brilliant performance in the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase at Cheltenham.

A hugely impressive winner of the two-mile championship in 2013, when he carried all before him as one of the highest-rated chasers in recent times, the Caroline Mould-owned gelding had suffered a succession of well-documented physical problems over the past couple of seasons but roared back to the Cheltenham winner's enclosure with a breathtaking three and a half-length defeat of odds-on market leader Un De Sceaux (4/6).

The front-running Special Tiara finished back in third, but Sprinter Sacre was simply imperious under Nico De Boinville and brought the loudest cheer of the week from the Prestbury Park crowds as the 5/1 second favourite crossed the line in front.

Billed as one of the races of the week with Willie Mullins' 2015 Arkle hero Un De Sceaux strongly fancied to see off three former Champion Chase winners in Sprinter Sacre, Sire De Grugy and Dodging Bullets and to add to the ever-increasing tally of Festival wins for the Irish champion trainer, it lived up to expectations in no uncertain terms but didn't quite follow the script.

Un De Sceaux was taken on for the lead early in the race as Special Tiara cut out the running under Noel Fehily at what looked a serious gallop, leaving the likes of Felix Yonger and Sizing Granite, who made an early error, unable to go the pace.

The cheers went up from the stands as Walsh sent Un De Sceaux into a share of the lead with a fine leap four from the finish but Sprinter Sacre, who then came off the bridle for a few strides, responded in kind to De Boinville's urgings coming down the hill.

As the race developed on the approach to the final bend it soon became clear that wasn't a spent force and despite Walsh not looking overly animated on the jolly, Henderson's ace poured it on coming to the second last and immediately took command.

Walsh knew his fate from that point and ultimately only managed to hold on for second by a nose from a rallying Special Tiara, but Sprinter Sacre was away and gone and sealed the win with a neat jump at the last.

Henderson said: "It's been a long, long journey - those were two very, very grim years.

"That was unbelievable. That was about dreams, wasn't it? Dreams do actually happen and come alive.

"It's nice to have everybody on your side. I knew we had some supporters and it's fantastic.

"He has been a spectacular horse, but to come back and do that after all that time - everyone has done a fantastic job.

"There were some hard days, but it was certainly worth the effort.

"I said if he and Tent (My Tent Or Yours, second in Champion Hurdle) both won I'd retire, luckily Tent got beaten!

"He (Sprinter Sacre) has been a very special horse. For those two golden years he was unbeatable.

"I said he couldn't come back to his best, but maybe he has.

"He had to be as good as he ever was to do that."

De Boinville said: "I'm speechless about that, it means so much to us.

"For him to come back like that - all credit to the guv'nor, we had a couple of desperate years with him and nearly retried him.

"I knew I had to get upsides Un De Sceaux and see what he was made of.

"It's incredible and I'm flabbergasted."

When asked how this victory compared to Coneygree winning the Gold Cup 12 months ago, the jockey said: "It has to be on a par."

Willie Mullins, trainer of the vanquished favourite, was keen to praise connections of Sprinter Sacre.

He said: "My first thought is maybe the ground was quick enough, but we've been beaten by Sprinter Sacre and there's certainly no shame in that.

"It's an unbelievable training performance by Nicky Henderson and who says they don't come back?

"Just listen to the crowd. I would say that's a winner for racing.

"He (Un De Sceaux) was closing again at the line and ran right up to it, so he may have run his race.

"I imagine he'll go to Punchestown."

Special Tiara's trainer Henry de Bromhead said: "I'm delighted with him.

"It was an exceptional training performance by Nicky Henderson to get his horse back like that.

"I've got great admiration for horse and trainer. It's unbelievable how they've brought him back to put in a performance like that, he was awesome.

"Special Tiara was very good at Sandown last year (in Celebration Chase), so we'll certainly consider it.

"At the moment we'll get over this and digest everything, but we're delighted with our guy - he lost very little in defeat and fair play to connections of the winner."