Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Best Since "ARKLE" ??

Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:31
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default The Best Since "ARKLE" ??

DENMANIA HITS NEWBURY

Denman put in a jaw-dropping performance under top-weight to plunder the Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup at Newbury on Saturday.

Such was the manner of his victory that he usurped stablemate and current title holder Kauto Star in the betting for the Gold Cup with Coral, who slashed him into 6-4 favouritism.

The same firm quote the reigning champion at 2-1, with sponsors totesport easing Kauto Star out to the same price while quoting Denman at 5-2 - a move mirrored by Blue Square.

Ladbrokes and Stan James are 2-1 the pair.

Paul Nicholls had warned the seven-year-old would need the outing, but his fears proved unfounded as man-of-the-moment Sam Thomas allowed the gigantic gelding to stride on in the home straight on the first occasion.

His main rival and 9-2 favourite Snowy Morning crashed out around the same time and Denman - who has only been beaten once in 11 starts - had the run of the race thereafter.

He took control of matters from the head of affairs and the Paul Barber and Harry Findlay-owned 5-1 shot had a competitive field strung out behind turning towards the final four fences.

All that was left was for him to pop those and he came home by 11 lengths from Dream Alliance to join an elite group of horses to have won the historic race with the number one cloth - a club which includes such luminaries as Arkle, Mill House and Burrough Hill Lad.

Nicholls said: "He has improved and you only need to look at him to see that.

"The great thing was he settled early on. I had been worried that he would tank along for the first mile and leave himself with nothing in reserve.

"But when I saw him settle for the first mile I knew we were in with a big shout and I knew he wouldn't be beat if he was in front turning in.

"For me to have said he would win first time out, you just don't do that. There is improvement in him and he is having a good blow, but that was awesome first time out."

Cashmans make Nicholls a 2-7 shot to train the winner of the Gold Cup, but he would not be drawn into making predications about when Denman eventually clashes with last weekend's Betfair Chase winner Kauto Star.

He continued: "Last weekend was a great day and this is a great day, but they are different horses.

"Denman has won off a mark of 161 and the other horse is on 179. The gap is going to close enormously, but they won't take each other on until Cheltenham and a lot can happen between now and then, so let's just enjoy today.

"Kauto Star and Exotic Dancer will be hard to go by, but this fella might be the one who is making them go.

"He will go to the Lexus now (December 28) and then would could come back here for the Aon or go to back to Ireland - but he will only have two more runs before Cheltenham."

Stable number one Ruby Walsh will face an agonisingly tough choice come March, with Nicholls adamant riding plans will be left entirely in the Irishman's lap.

"I have always said it and while Ruby is stable jockey he will have to be man enough and make the choice. But it doesn't bother me as they (Walsh and Thomas) have both ridden each of the horses," said Nicholls.

With Walsh sidelined through injury, Thomas has been gifted a golden opportunity and the 23-year-old followed up last weekend's magical double aboard Kauto Star and Mr Pointment with a resounding victory.

The Welshman said: "I didn't think things could get much better after last weekend, but this fella is something else.

"I knew they hadn't gone a mad gallop and he stuck to the rail and was jumping and travelling.

"I was surprised how settled he was - for his first run of the season I expected him to be keener and doing too much. But he's a different horse this time, he's so relaxed.

"I couldn't believe how strung out they were when I had a look round, I hadn't even got out of first gear at that stage."

Of the two Gold Cup contenders, he added: "They are completely different horses and you wouldn't know where to start comparing them - but they are both exceptional, I know that."

Findlay is a renowned punter and left followers in no doubt where his money will be going next March.

"I have always believed we can be an 8lb inferior horse to Kauto Star at Cheltenham and still beat him." said Findlay.

"I know it sounds ridiculous, but on soft or heavy ground we could be even better then that.

"Everything is in our favour at Cheltenham and if it comes up soft or heavy then we are a certainty."

Dream Alliance is now 12-1 from 20-1 with VC Bet for the Coral Welsh National and trainer Philip Hobbs is considering the Chepstow event later this month.

He said: "He's run very well indeed. They seemed to go very steady early on and he has run on well at the end.

"The Welsh National would be the obvious race for him."

Character Building was a further eight lengths in arrears, with the David Pipe-trained Madison Du Berlais snapping at his heels and finishing a length back in fourth

Pipe's father Martin said: "It was an amazing performance by the winner but we were delighted with Madison, who is only a six-year-old."

Updated..by BTD

Sam Thomas and Harry Findlay with Denman after winning the Hennessy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newbury_Hennessy_Cognac_Gold_Cup_Denman_Harry_604517.jpg (20.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg A22084391196073059A.jpg (19.4 KB, 2 views)