Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Groves v Froch

Old May 27th, 2014, 22:51
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Groves v Froch

George Groves is adamant there is no way super-middleweight rival Carl Froch will be able to defend his IBF and WBA titles for a second time on Saturday night.

The pair were involved in a hugely controversial first bout in November which was stopped by Howard Foster Jr in the ninth round in favour of Froch, but Groves is sure the 36-year-old veteran will have no such luck when the pair clash at Wembley.

Many feel that Groves tired during the latter stages of their first meeting in Manchester but the 26-year-old Londoner believes hometown advantage and a more intense conditioning regime can ensure every conceivable outcome will fall in his favour.

Groves told Sky Sports News: "I think Carl Froch is certainly banking on the fact he thinks he's a 12 round fighter and thinks that I'm not but he's in for a rude awakening. I'm fitter than ever and 12 rounds will be a breeze - certainly once I'm into my rhythm.

"When I talk about three rounds I'm not talking about a three round fight. I'm not going to empty the tank in three rounds. I'm just saying that I'm going to do what I do and I don't think Carl could last three rounds at that pace.

"The fact of the matter is that if Carl can withstand punishment past six rounds, then it's only going to get worse for him because I'm only going to get stronger, fitter and faster as I get more and more settled into the bout.

"What people misunderstood sometimes is that because Carl has been 12 rounds a lot of times, doesn't mean he works 12 rounds. It doesn't mean that I can't go 12 rounds just because I knock most of my opponents out before 12 rounds.

"At the end of the last fight, I was in far better condition than Carl was. I'm not worried about conditioning. I can go the 12 rounds if needs be but the fact is that I don't think Carl can go past three.

"It may sound a bit strange this far along but I've never had a full-time conditioning coach at every session like I have for this camp. In the last camp, Barry O'Connell got me in shape but at arm's length because he couldn't make changes. This time, he's stamped his authority and it's paying off in the gym.

"Technically, in a purely boxing sense, I'll beat Carl Froch every day of the week. If he wants to fall apart mentally, so be it. If he needs to coach himself to not fall apart, I wish him the best of luck there too. I'm sure he's felt good at times and I'm sure he's felt vulnerable at times.

"Everything for a reason. I feel good today. Why do I feel good? Because nothing's left to chance with me. We're in fight week now and he needs to understand that his destiny is dawning. Saturday night is fast approaching and he needs to get himself up for it. He's in a fight he can't win. I won't allow him to win."

On the pressure of fighting in front of 80,000 fans at the home of football, Groves added: "There's nobody you can even speak to who's experienced in fighting in front of that many fans. It'll be a unique experience and sink or swim time, whether you deal with that occasion or not.

"I've boxed in front of pretty big crowds before and it's about containing my excitement. I'm sure I'll be pretty excited on fight night but we'll get the job done as we always do.

"I'm going to become a world champion on Saturday night. I'm prepared to leave everything in the ring but I don't think I'll need to. I'm prepared to achieve what I always wanted to achieve. Someone who everyone is jostling to fight. I hope to truly arrive across the world."