Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports

Deflate-Gate at the NFL

Old January 21st, 2015, 16:17
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Talking Deflate-Gate at the NFL

NFL probe 'Deflate-gate' .. January 20 2015

The NFL is investigating claims that match footballs may have been deflated for the New England Patriots' win over the Indianapolis Colts.

The Patriots won Sunday's game 45-7 to reach the Super Bowl. The suggestion that balls may have been tampered with was first reported by Indianapolis-based television station WTHR.

Deflating a ball can, but will not necessarily, make it easier to catch. The investigation has been dubbed 'deflate-gate' on social media.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said: "We'll co-operate fully with whatever the league wants, whatever questions they ask us."

Quarterback Tom Brady told radio station WEEI-FM: "I think I've heard it all at this point. That's the last of my worries. I don't even respond to stuff like this."

The Seattle Seahawks await New England in the Super Bowl, which takes place at the University of Phoenix Stadium on February 1.

Seattle will be looking to become the first team to successfully defend a Super Bowl title since the Patriots won in 2004 and then again 12 months later.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 14:54
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Brady: I am not a cheater (January 23rd - 2015)

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has protested his innocence after a number of footballs used in the win that took the team to the Super Bowl were found to be under-inflated..

New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady insisted he had no knowledge of any wrongdoing.

ESPN has reported that 11 of the Patriots' 12 balls from Sunday's 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts at the Gillette Stadium were below regulation pressure limits.

Brady, who will be aiming to pick up his fourth Super Bowl ring in Arizona on February 1, had an efficient evening as he threw for 226 yards.

The NFL is investigating the circumstances, which were a mystery to both star man Brady and Patriots head coach Bill Belichick when they spoke on Thursday.

Deflating a ball can, but will not necessarily, make it easier to catch. The saga has been dubbed 'deflategate' on social media.

Brady said: "I didn't alter the ball in any way. I have a process that I go through before every game where I go in and I pick the footballs that I want to use for the game. Our equipment guys do a great job of breaking the balls in. They have a process that they go through. When I pick those balls out, at that point to me they're perfect.

"I don't want anyone touching the balls after that. I don't want anyone rubbing them, putting any air in them, taking any air out. To me those balls are perfect and that's what I expect when I show up on the field."

Asked directly if he was a cheat, Brady said: "I don't believe so. I feel like I've always played within the rules. I would never do anything to break the rules.

"I believe in fair play and I respect the league and everything they're doing to try to create a very competitive playing field for all the NFL teams. It's a very competitive league. Every team is trying to do the best they can to win every week. I believe in fair play and I'll always believe in that for as long as I'm playing."

The 37-year-old added in a press conference, according to a transcript on the Patriots website: "I think everyone is obviously trying to figure out what happened.

"I think everybody has the right to believe whatever they want. I don't ever cast judgement on someone's belief system. If that's what they feel like they want to do, then I don't have a problem with that."

Belichick also faces intense questioning over the situation, which could leave the Patriots facing punishment if they are found to have wilfully deflated the balls.

The Patriots head coach said: "The National Football League is investigating this situation. We have co-operated fully, quickly and completely with every request that they have made; [we] continue to be co-operative in any way that we can.

"I have no explanation for what happened. That's what they're looking into. So I can't comment on what they're doing. That's something that you should talk to them about."

The Seattle Seahawks await New England in the Super Bowl.