Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Serena Williams 'Loses the plot'

Old September 8th, 2018, 22:53
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Red face Serena Williams 'Loses the plot'

US Open 2018: Naomi Osaka stuns Serena Williams to become Japan's first grand slam champion . (September 08 2018)

Naomi Osaka became Japan's first ever grand slam champion as she won a dramatic US Open final 6-2 6-4 over a furious Serena Williams, who had a heated exchange with the umpire when given a coaching violation.

20-year-old Osaka won her first grand slam title in her first final as she managed to keep her cool while witnessing a remarkable Williams meltdown on the other side of the net.

The headlines were supposed to be about Williams' bid for a record-equalling 24th grand slam title and Osaka trying to become Japan's first slam winner, but instead an argument with umpire Carlos Ramos that escalated dominated the match.

Williams was furious when she was given a coaching violation early in the second set after a hand gesture from her coach Patrick Mouratoglou.

She was then docked a point for a second violation when she smashed her racket after dropping serve at 3-3. Continuing her argument with Ramos at the change of ends, Williams accused him of being a thief for taking a point away from her.

Ramos gave her a third violation, which resulted in a game penalty, putting Osaka 5-3 ahead. A tearful Williams argued her case with tournament officials but, although she held serve in the next game, Osaka served out the victory 6-2 6-4.

Serena suffers latest meltdown

After Osaka hit the final serve, Williams warmly embraced her young opponent, who grew up idolising the American, then refused to shake Ramos' hands, instead giving him a final verbal volley.

It is not the first time the 36-year-old has run into trouble with officials at Flushing Meadows. In a semi-final against Kim Clijsters in 2009, she was penalised for threatening a line judge and fined.

Two years later, during a final loss to Sam Stosur, Williams called umpire Eva Asderaki "a hater" and "unattractive inside" for calling a hindrance penalty against her.

The presentation ceremony began with more booing from the crowd before a tearful Williams said, to wild cheers: "I don't want to be rude. I don't want to do questions.

"I just want to tell you guys she played well. Let's make this the best moment we can and get through it and give credit where credit is due. No more booing. Let's be positive."

Osaka was also in tears, and said: "I know everyone was cheering for her and I'm sorry it had to end like this. I just want to say thank you for watching the match.

"It was always my dream to play Serena in the US Open finals. I'm really glad I was able to do that."

Williams was playing in her 31st grand slam final and looking to equal the 24 singles titles won by all-time record holder Margaret Court, while for 20-year-old Osaka this is her first taste of a slam final.

Osaka stunned Williams to win the first set 6-2 after 34 minutes.

Despite Williams' vast experience, it was she who looked nervous, while Osaka was able to unleash her huge groundstrokes fearlessly.

The 20-year-old showed Williams she would not be out-hit and drew a big double fault to break in the third game.

Another break followed two games later and, although Williams stopped the run of games against her at five to hold for 5-2, Osaka calmly served out the set.
Old September 9th, 2018, 12:45
Derby Winner

Default Meltdown video

Hahaha - Oh and here she is in 'Meltdown' > https://youtu.be/yHYHDP1a0BI

Oh oh boo boo , this is not fair
Old September 9th, 2018, 13:12
Dedicated Punter

And her coach has admitted he was coaching her, shows her up to be a liar and a cheat. I suppose me saying this is not fair
Old September 10th, 2018, 18:01
Derby Winner

Hahaha what can i say PT but she's lost the plot and that's for sure