Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Racing > Dog Racing
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Derby draw April 27th

Old April 20th, 2014, 13:00
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Derby draw April 27th

20 APR 2014

My guess is two nights for the Derby first round (By Jim Cremin (rp)

PAUL HENNESSY was sitting downstairs at Wimbledon on Saturday night, filling in a pile of William Hill Derby entry forms. It looked like around half a dozen.

"I love this time of year," he said, "everything seems possible, and we're going to give it our best shot. You have to be in it to win it."

He will base his Derby team with Seamus Gaughan. Owen McKenna plans to enjoy B&B with Mark and Hayley Keightley.

Rachel Wheeler, whose Cork Laurels hero Lassa Expedition will be the subject of a Derby Countdown piece I will be filing for Monday's paper, is to stop with Chris Allsopp - after her dogs have trialled on Wednesday.

Those trainers who have expressed disappointment in not being able to secure last minute trials on Wednesday look set to be squeezed in - Gary Matthews, Wimbledon's RM, said on Saturday he was hopeful that he could juggle the bookings.

It is all a measure of the excitement surrounding the £200,000 William Hill Derby. How many entries will there be? It's going to be fairly big, but will three nights be needed (Thursday 1st, Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd May of the week after next?).

My gut feeling is a photo finish with Wimbledon keen to keep it to two nights (the Friday and Saturday) - the third night would cost them money, anathema to this extremely cost conscious management! We will see when the Classic closes to entries at noon on Wednesday.

Don't forget, completed entries forms only will be accepted, there will be no exceptions. The draw will be made next Sunday, April 27. I will attempt, as ever, to publish the heats on the net as they are pulled out. Guarding of owners now only applies to the opening two rounds - which seems a good compromise.

Julie Collier will be at Charlie Lister's kennels for reaction live that same Sunday night of the draw. It certainly wasn't easy for me to ring Charlie this Sunday morning to ask about Fear Emoski (pulled out from Hove on Thursday with a hairline hock fracture) and to also learn the news of Redbrick Stuart's injury - he misses the Derby. Let's hope the maestro now gets better luck.

Those first two Derby rounds are shown live on RPGTV - which will have recordings of the key trials from this Wednesday morning on that night's show.

Look out for the Saturday night trial stake action in Sunday's [tonight] RPGTV programme - which will also feature the semis from the Kirby Memorial at Limerick, the world's richest juvenile race.

Kate Miller, Hills PR director, says: "With RPGTV showing the opening two rounds, and the remainder of the Classic on both Sky and SIS, plus the wonderful coverage in the Racing Post and on the net, everyone has the chance to form their own view.

"This kind of prize-money level gives such a buzz to the sport, which is wonderful to see and the essence of buying a pup is dreaming about our Derby. We all do it . . . I know that I have done with my own bitch Hoof It Katie, who's trained by Seamus Cahill.

"My dad's dog Islas Scolari, a kennelmate and [Pin Point] Arc runner-up, will definitely be back for another tilt. He reached the quarter-finals last year. Dad [Hove bookie Charlie] is really well and enjoying life, which is what we have to aspire to. Hove of course is like home to me but he's also looking forward to coming along to Wimbledon, and even plans to join me on the RPGTV show this Friday night [April 25] before the Derby starts [a week later]. That will be different!

"I'm so looking forward to it all - Derby final night [Saturday May 31] is an unique occasion. I'm not old enough to remember White City but for me it's like going to a Cup Final, Melbourne Cup or Cheltenham. It's the pinnacle but what's different is that you don't have to be a big owner to get involved or spend huge money, the dream is accessible and affordable to all. That's what special about the William Hill Derby, it's something any person can get involved in, either as a punter or owner, and everyone has an opinion – it’s what makes betting and racing so engaging and exciting. I can't wait!"

*Wimbledon will be advertising for a replacement for John Simpson, who is switching to Romford on the retirement of Alison Ingram
Old April 24th, 2014, 15:04
Derby Winner

Default Everything changes now for the first 15 heats

Tough competition suddenly made tenser

WITH just the first two (2) likely to qualify from up to 15 of the 37 first round heats of the William Hill Derby (the other 22 heats would see the first three through), the record entry for the £200,000 prize involves a marked drawback.

Some trainers, especially those hoping for a soft early heat as their dogs get used to the track, have been summarily taken aback.

This is what happens when you operate an unlimited entry - trainers had got used to circumstances in recent years which produced some heats where, for instance, the first four might qualify. But the last time the field reached this type of level of 200-plus (in 2010) the same issue emerged. Unless an extra round is introduced - which in itself is hardly helpful - there is no answer to mathematically securing the required 96 second round runners other than in this manner.

At least the draw for the affected heats in made randomly before the runners are known, so it is all down to pot luck. But if you have trialled a dog several times, paid a £250 entry fee, and eagerly looked forward to the competition, the thought of going out in third place, perhaps by a short-head, is indeed horrible.

It means runners will be need to be sharper than many trainers intended, and in those heats where only two qualify, the sudden death element will add markedly to the tension.

It remains to be seen how many heats are affected as it depends on the actual numbers and the balance might yet be altered by a number of withdrawals from the current field of 222 between now and Sunday.

A number of them are trialling before racing Friday and Saturday, and any withdrawal before Sunday's draw involves a total refund.

It all means three first round heat nights next Thursday - Friday - Saturday, and all the action will be shown live on RPGTV, which also covers the second round; Sky Sports takes over from the third round onwards.

Bennys view >
There's going to be many 'hard-luck' stories now with only the first 2 going through in those first 15 heats
Old April 28th, 2014, 15:28
Derby Winner

Angry Like I said, This draw is a joke

Jack’s two-qualifier draw upsets Charlie Lister
By Jim Cremin (rp)

AFTER a disappointing week for the Charlie Lister, you could almost guarantee his reigning William Hill Derby champion Sidaz Jack was going to end up in a first round heat with only two qualifiers when he starts his bid to defend his crown in Thursday’s opening round.

At least he got his favoured trap one in heat six at Sunday's draw at Wimbledon, but the dog has looked rusty in recent races. It was one of 12 heats where only two runners go through: heats 3, 4, 6, 11, 14, 16, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28 and 32. The other 24 see the normal first three and reflects the bumper entry.

Lister said: “It’s the start of the Derby and I should be excited, but just feel disheartened. Jack finished third in the opening round last year – so on this basis would have gone straight out. How can this be right? It seems unfair, and is unfair. Benny says >> (Unfair Charlie ?? It's a complete joke)
Wimbledon should choose the field, pick 192 from 212 entries and keep the others as reserves. There are a lot of dogs who come into the first round 75 per cent fit, and improve. Trainers prepare them that way, and now you are faced with this.”

Lister added: “We also have Southern Mesut in a heat [Friday’s heat 21] where two go through, although that at least is for five runners. Sidarian Blaze has a right tough draw too [trap four in heat 18] against some good dogs. Thankfully three qualify there.”

Hills had already eased Sidaz Jack out to 28-1 over the weekend but made no changes to their ante-post odds after Sunday's draw. Kereight King and Swift Keith remain their 14-1 joint-favourites.
Odds-compiler Derek Hope said: “Overall I’d say the draw has worked out reasonably well for everything.”

Gary Matthews, Wimbledon’s racing manager, agreed:
“There are few really bad draws, although Fraser Black was a bit unlucky to get his two come out together in Saturday’s final heat. At least it’s not the toughest of the round. We’re all looking forward to a great competition.”

Barry Faulkner, the GBGB’s chief executive, said. “This is the time of year everyone looks forward to, and it’s a case of bring it on. This is one of the best Derbys in years, Hills’ £200,000 prize has got everyone going.”

*Farloe Tango goes to the vet on Monday for a check-up. “He came off sore on Thursday [from the Regency final], but let’s see what the vet says,” reported Lister.
update dtd
Old April 28th, 2014, 15:48
Derby Winner

Well for me i'll stick with my original selection 'EL FLUTTER' after seeing the draw ..
Mark has plenty of entries, (8) and not got the best of it in the draw with most .
El Flutter' at least got a 3 dog qualifier, but he has to wait until the last race on the Friday ..Still could be worse ..

So for now i'll stick with "El Flutter" at the 80/1 as my only anti post bet, then see how things go over the next 5 or 6 weeks until the final
Old May 7th, 2014, 19:27
Derby Winner

Default Ballymac Vic injured> (Out of the Derby)

Last year's third Vic injured and out of Derby

By Phil Donaldson (RP)

BALLYMAC VIC, third behind Sidaz Jack in last year's William Hill Derby, has been withdrawn from heat 12 of Saturday's second round of this year's Wimbledon showpiece.

Liam Dowling, who bred, trains and owns the dog, said yesterday: "It's a real shame and we're massively disappointed. He picked up a groin problem in the first round. It's very high up, not a tear but more of a strain.

"I was leaving it as long as I could hoping he'd be okay, but he's still on three legs this morning and there's no way he could run."
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:38
Derby Winner

Default Saturday see the last eight heats of round 2

THE final eight heats in the William Hill Greyhound Derby second round take centre stage on Racing Post Greyhound TV as part of a 13-race card from Wimbledon tonight. The programme goes on air from 7.15pm (Sky channel 212, Freesat 401 and streamed free at www.racingpost.com/greyhounds/tv.sd plus partner websites) and also features Crayford's 12-race card (three opens and six inter-tracks).

The RPGTV Flying Four focuses on Wimbledon and includes Derby heats at 8.42, 8.58, 9.15 and 10.18. All eight Derby heats have been priced early by bookmaker partners.
Wimbledon is the Totepool Jackpot meeting with the bet running from race three (7.54) through to eight (9.15) as does the Placepot. Crayford's Placepot runs from the 8.02 race through to the 9.24.

The show is hosted by Darrell Williams who will be joined in the studio by Phil Donaldson of the Racing Post while Jonathan Hobbs and Carly Philpott will be reporting live from Wimbledon. Viewers can also contact the show by emailing [email protected] or by tweeting @RPGreyhounds. Check back here from 6pm onwards for details of Phil Donaldson's nap and next best selections plus trap challenge and other betting news.

*Have you tried the Racing Post Predictor on our free Greyhoundbet app? Based on all recent relevant form, it provides a visual analysis of all races, providing a different aspect to winner finding. Available on iphone, android or mobile, go to http://www.racingpost.com/mobile/ to download onto your device today!
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:26
Derby Winner

Default Saturdays Derby heats starting 8 42

Race 6 at 20:42 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 Zero Two 1-T-3-1-2
2 Jaytee Lightning 3-6-2-1-1
3 Swift Keith 2-T-T-T-1
4 Crokers Champ 1-2-1-1-3
5 El Domingo 2-T-4-6-T
6 Brick Lane 1-T-4-T-T

Race 7 at 20:58 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 Droopys Norris 2-T-4-T-T
2 Guinness Spark 2-2-5-5-2
3 General Wolf 1-T-T-T-T
4 Roxholme Ted 1-1-2-T-6
5 Shaneboy Silas 3-T-2-3-3
6 Airlie Impact 2-4-3-T-4

Race 8 at 21:15 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 Droopys Ward 2-1-3-T-2
2 Barefoot Agent 2-1-T-4-1
3 Westmead Alexis 3-T-T-1-1
4 Johnny Kwango 1-T-1-T-4
5 Jaytee Hawaii 1-T-T-T-5
6 Ecclestone 1-1-T-3-5

Race 9 at 21:32 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 Pinpoint Finas 1-T-T-T-T
2 Express Master 1-T-T-T-4
4 El Salvador 3-T-5-2-2
5 Vanrooney 1-T-2-T-5
6 Swift Perth 1-T-1-1-2

Race 10 at 21:48 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 Caribbean Star 3-3-1-5-1
2 Kippers Usain 1-T-1-2-6
3 Benkaat Nero 3-T-2-3-6
4 Paradise Silva 1-T-T-T-2
5 Droopys Odell 2-1-2-3-1
6 El Flutter 1-T-1-2-T

Race 11 at 22:03 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 King Dec 1-T-1-2-2
2 Melodys Midnight 3-T-2-T-2
3 Blackrose Vic 2-T-T-T-2
4 Mind The Net 2-T-2-1-2
5 Scarface 1-T-T-T-T
6 Westmead Chris 1-T-T-2-6

Race 12 at 22:18 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 Jordans Brianna 1-T-6-1-T
2 Blonde Razor 2-T-T-3-1
3 Brother John 1-1-2-T-4
4 Bubbly Rocket 1-T-5-1-5
5 Borneo 1-T-5-T-T
6 Woolie No Shoes 1-5-T-2-T

Race 13 at 22:35 (Open Race 480M Flat)

Trap Runner Recent Fin's
1 Lemon Laveer 2-2-T-2-2
2 Bromwich Tom 2-T-1-4-T
3 Dustin Eagle 3-5-1-2-T
4 Fiery Splendour 1-T-1-T-T
5 Frettenham Flyer 2-T-1-4-3
6 Farloe Trent 2-T-T-1-T
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:18
talk sport tipster

EL FLUTTER is 7/1 tonight in a super tight heat.....

What amazes me is one of the heats only has 4 dogs with 3 qualifying....

Is that really fair ?
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:49
Derby Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2005 View Post
EL FLUTTER is 7/1 tonight in a super tight heat.....

What amazes me is one of the heats only has 4 dogs with 3 qualifying....

Is that really fair ?
Well if the draw was done and then 2 dogs were withdrawn afterwards, that's the luck of the draw ..

As for El Flutter (T6), yes the 4 and 3 are big players but he should qualify and 7/1 looks great e/w value (1-2 places 1/4 odds,-on the night)
Old May 10th, 2014, 15:29
Derby Winner

Default My picks tonight (Saturday)

Looking forward to Wimbledon tonight with the last heats of round 2
Interest bets

8.42 .. 6 - 4 ..... 4 - 3
8 58 .. 1 - 4 ..... 4 - 1
9 15 .. 2 - 4 ..... 1 - 6
9 32 .. 5 - 6 T6 vacant) 4 dog race, no bet here !
9 48 .. 6 - 4 .... nap .. El Flutter ..3rd ..into the next round Fav out !! and I only had a 30p tricast 6 3 5 .. result = 5 3 6 .Tri/cast for a £1 =£249.70
10 03 . 5 - 1 ..... 6 - 4
10 18 . 5 - 3 ......1 - 3
10 35 . 4 - 6 ..... 4 - 6 ..that 4 dog (Fiery Splendour) was awesome again !

small Rvs fcst doubles

Last edited by bennythedip2; May 10th, 2014 at 21:41.