Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Masters (After day 3)

Old April 7th, 2018, 22:54
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default The Masters (After day 3)

The Masters:

Patrick Reed leads Rory McIlroy by three heading into Sunday at Augusta (April 07 2018)

Patrick Reed will take a three-shot lead into the final round of the Masters, with Rory McIlroy the man in nearest pursuit.

Reed got the better of McIlroy in a Ryder Cup singles clash for the ages at Hazeltine in 2016, but should McIlroy gain his revenge on Sunday it could be enough to complete a career grand slam of majors.

It was McIlroy who made the first move in round three, birdies at the third and fourth holes seeing him eat into Reed's overnight lead, before a dart into the par-three sixth set up another birdie to move to six-under.

After a par at seven, McIlroy then chipped in for eagle at the par-five eighth and briefly shared the lead as Reed searched for the form which had carried him to a Friday 66.

He took little time to find it, spring to life with birdies at eight, nine and 10 to go three clear, but the lead was reduced to two again when he failed to get up and down at the 12th, something McIlroy had managed in the previous group.

Another turning of the ride came at the par-five 13th, when McIlroy was forced to scramble par after a brief but heavy shower interfered with his second shot, which came to rest in a flowerbed by the side of the green.

After McIlroy had holed from four feet to remain at eight-under, Reed blasted his second inside 15 feet and converted the eagle putt to move four ahead for the first time.

Four then became five after Reed followed McIlroy's birdie at the same hole by chipping in for another eagle at the 15th, but there was time for one final twist as the Northern Irishman fired a brilliant approach to the last and made birdie, while Reed bogeyed 16 and did well to avoid another blemish at 17.

After missing a final birdie chance at the last, Reed signed for a five-under-par 67 which McIlroy bettered by two, the pair separated by three shots and set to play together in the final group on Sunday.

Rickie Fowler and Jon Rahm also carded best-of-the-week 65s to reach nine- and eight-under respectively, with Henrik Stenson a shot further back in fifth after a solid but unspectacular 70.

But a day which began with any number of potential challengers saw McIlroy emerge as by far the biggest threat to Reed, and with that came the promise of something truly special on Sunday.

"It was a little bit of a cagey start," said McIlroy. "I got a couple of fortunate breaks, but I think to win a golf tournament like this you need a bit of luck on your side.

"I know what it's like (to lead the Masters)," he added. "I'm going to try and freewheel it, play as if I've nothing to lose and everything to gain."

Asked how this compared to 2011, when a major-less McIlroy led by four shots but fell to 15th after a nightmare final round, McIlroy confirmed that he's much more comfortable following four major wins in the intervening years.

"I've always said that the final round of 2011 was a huge turning point in my career - it was the round that got me ready to win major championships," he added.

"This is my next opportunity to be in the final group again at the Masters. I come in a much better player."