11:09
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports

Cheltenham Festival - 'The Countdown'

Old March 7th, 2017, 01:46
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Nicky Henderson eager to get show on the road - - (March 6th 2017)

Nicky Henderson is desperate to saddle a winner at Cheltenham next Tuesday in order to "get the show on the road".

In recent seasons the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival has been dominated by the battalion of horses sent over by Irish master Willie Mullins.

It has seen punters in profit and sent bookmakers running for cover, with so many of the Closutton handler's 'good things' turning out to be just that.

This year could once again see bookmakers facing up to more misery, but not from Mullins. Instead from a man much closer to home - Nicky Henderson.

Having enjoyed two victories at each of the previous two Festivals, the 66-year-old - who is the all-time leading trainer at the showpiece meeting - could match that figure on day one such is the strength of his team this year.

While holding leading claims in the Stan James Champion Hurdle, the Seven Barrows handler should be up and running before if the majestic Altior does what is expected of him in the Arkle Challenge Trophy and adds to his win in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle of 12 months ago.

Henderson said: "It's an extraordinary game. All you need, no matter how many you have got running, is one success at the Festival.

"If you can have one on the first day, as we did with Altior in the first race last year, then you have got the show on the road and from then on you can add to it - the world ends if you do not get one.

"We are a long way from another Sprinter Sacre, but Altior is creeping up the right road, only because of the Game Spirit in that he took the same route Sprinter Sacre did. Now he has got to come out and do the same in the Arkle.

"There are bound to be comparisons. There are now. You wouldn't believe that you have to put away one that was as great as that and to replace it with another serious two-miler, and this horse is two miles and two miles only.

"I was very confident about Altior at this time last year. I think he has transferred his ability to chasing and not made many mistakes.

"He has to do it this year. He wasn't even favourite last year."

Since sending out See You Then to win the first of three consecutive Champion Hurdles in 1985, Henderson has enjoyed two further victories in the two-mile blue riband with Punjabi in 2009 and Binocular in 2010 placing him as the joint most-successful trainer in the race.

Buveur D'Air, Brain Power and last year's runner-up My Tent Or Yours represent a strong hand for Henderson in this year's renewal.

Henderson said: "They wouldn't be far off it (previous winners). You would have to say it is a very open. It's a good year to have three in there with a chance, because it is wide open. Usually we have either got something like a See You Then or a Binocular which are stand-out horses.

"Altior was always going for the Arkle, so Buveur D'Air would have found it difficult to beat him in that race. It seemed an obvious thing really (to switch back to hurdles).

"I know the Sandown race (which he won easily) did not tell us anything because he did not beat much. He beat Rayvin Black and Irving, who probably didn't perform at Sandown and neither did they perform at Wincanton. We've just got to do our own thing. I always thought he was a Champion Hurdle horse.

"He goes on soft ground and is in good form. He ran third in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle last year at the Festival and most of our very good horses of the future have been placed in the Supreme.

"He finished the Supreme very, very strongly and then he went on to Aintree and beat Petit Mouchoir, which is very solid form over two miles, and he is a better horse now.

"The change was not totally because of what was happening to the Champion Hurdle. I said to Barry (Geraghty) before racing at Cheltenham that day (trials day) that this horse needs to come back into the Champion Hurdle whatever happens with Faugheen.

"We've seen these horses come through handicaps and fall flat on their face at the first go (raised in class). It's always a big gap, but at 163 Brain Power has nowhere else to go.

"He wouldn't want bullying. He is by Kalanisi and they just take a bit of humouring. Those were tough races he won, but he was able to boss it all the way through and he was very good to watch.

"His jumping was good over fences, but his work was excellent and you thought he had more to give over hurdles."

But for all those chances Henderson will be hoping can oblige on day one and throughout the meeting, there will be one name missing from those helping him build on his record tally of 55 Festival winners - that of the mighty Sprinter Sacre, now enjoying life in retirement.

He said: "He went to Newbury for a day out and he will go to Cheltenham on the Tuesday and say hello. He loves it until you turn him back to the stables and tell him you can't go down to the start. That's where he gets annoyed.

"We miss him not stood here and waiting for the battle with Douvan in the Queen Mother, as wouldn't it be something, but unfortunately I can't pull that piece of news out of the hat for you."
Old March 7th, 2017, 20:42
Derby Winner

Default Ruby Walsh

Ruby Walsh

Strong team in rude health for Festival - - (7th March 2017)

Ruby Walsh gives us the latest news on the formidable team that Willie Mullins is sending to Cheltenham next week.

The Cheltenham Festival is going to be a bit harder than in years gone by without Vautour, Faugheen and Annie Power but Willie’s horses are well. We will go there in good form and we’ll give it our best shot.

With such as Douvan, Yorkhill, Un De Sceaux, Djakadam, Let’s Dance Airlie Beach, we have a strong enough hand.

Willie is well represented in the novice hurdles and we could have four or five in each of them. It’s probably going to be difficult enough for me, and whether I’m on the right ones or not is is a different story.

Djakadam at his peak:

Djakadam is in great shape ahead of his third run in the Gold Cup

Djakadam is in great shape ahead of his third run in the Gold Cup

I was pleased with Djakadam when he schooled after racing at Leopardstown on Sunday. He wasn’t overly extended or anything, but he seems to be in a great frame of mind and is very well in himself.

He jumped super and galloped well. He wasn’t pushed too hard but I was really happy with him and, fingers crossed, he can go to the Gold Cup in the form he’s in at the moment.

We’ve had a different approach with him him this year.

The first year he went to the Gold Cup off the back of his Thyestes win, while last year he tipped up in the BetBright Chase at Cheltenham and got a cut on his chest and went off that prep to be second to Don Cossack.

This year he’s going to go having not run since Christmas and the Lexus Chase.

His preparation has gone well and Willie is happy with him. The once or twice I’ve sat on him he’s given me a good feel and hopefully he can bring either of his Gold Cup runs to the table and that should put him there or thereabouts.

Obviously it’s a competitive race and the connections of Cue Card are Native River are both entitled to be bullish.

The Gold Cup is a brilliant race and it’s shaping up into a good one again this year when you add in

Outlander, Don Poli, Sizing John. It’s an open race and a lot of people think they have chances.

Yorkhill’s jumping technique is fine:

I was happy with Yorkhill’s schooling session at Leopardstown on Sunday.

He was sloppy at the second and I probably wasn’t going quick enough when he stood off at the third, but that seemed to wake him up and he jumped the last five down the back very well.

He cruised through his work and came home strong on the bridle. He has some engine.

I thought once he woke up and watched what he was doing, he jumped really well. I’m not concerned about his jumping - he has a good technique.

D-Day for Limini:

If she’s going to run in the Champion Hurdle she will have to be supplemented tomorrow. I can’t imagine Willie will make a decision until he has to press the button.

She seems in good order, but I guess he will how she is in the morning before deciding whether or not to enter her.

It’s an open race and you can make a strong case for plenty. The New One and Yanworth are both rated lows 160s and that probably sets the standard.

Bellshill back in groove:

Bellshill fell on Sunday but he schooled this morning and seems fine.

It took us by surprise at the weekend. We were not expecting that, at schooling pace, but maybe he’s learnt from it and he seems none the worse.

These things happen and that’s why you have a novice season. It’s a learning curve and they are getting an education. Nobody is perfect and there are going to be mistakes along the way.

I guess Willie will monitor him until end of week and see how he goes.

Augusta Kate is brave, just like her dam:

It wasn’t over when Augusta Kate fell at the last at Naas on her latest start, when up against Death Duty.

I know Jack Kennedy thought he would have won anyway - he obviously felt he had quite a bit of horse underneath him - but I thought I was challenging and going to make a race of it if nothing else.

She has schooled really well since and it was only her second start over hurdles, so she’s entitled to improve for the experience.

She had a look at the second last and last, but that was just greenness. It was her first time off the bridle, really quickening, and she had a bit of daylight and was a bit green. You would have to factor in a bit of improvement - her schooling since has been very good.

I rode the dam and she was brave, and Augusta Kate does not lack for bravery either.

I think she is going to head down Albert Bartlett route and have another go at Death Duty.

Vroum Vroum and Douvan:

Jackie [Mullins] rides Vroum Vroum Mag at home all the time and is very happy with her. It was an underwhelming performance at Doncaster but hopefully she will go back to the Festival in the kind of form she was in last year.

Douvan? He’s in wonderful order, just doing what Douvan does.
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:24
Derby Winner

Default Robbie Power

Robbie Power confident Sizing John will stay Gold Cup - (March 07 2017)

Robbie Power is confident the Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup trip is within Sizing John's compass.

Having chased home Douvan on countless occasions in his younger days with Henry de Bromhead, new trainer Jessica Harrington has stepped him up in trip.

Connections have been rewarded with wins in the Kinloch Brae Chase and last time out in the Irish Gold Cup, beating Empire Of Dirt and Don Poli.

"Sizing John has always given the impression that he stays very well. He galloped all the way to the line in the Irish Gold Cup." said Power.

"I suppose you don't know until you try, but I'd be confident he will get the extra two furlongs and obviously a bit better ground would help.

"He's run well twice at Cheltenham before over two miles and his big strength is his jumping. He's very quick through the air and he gets that from having run over two miles in top-class races.

"On a line through Don Poli, he's probably got the best chance of the Irish runners, but the one Irish horse I'd be afraid of is Djakadam as he's going there fresh and it's the first time he's done that.

"It's competitive Gold Cup and there'll be a big field so you'll need a lot of luck.

"I've been with Jessie 16 years now so it would be great to win a Gold Cup for her.

"I've hopefully got a few nice rides. Forge Meadow was very impressive at Naas and we've always thought a lot of her. Good ground over two miles is ideal for her, I thought Naas would be too soft for her but she handled it.

"The race (Trull House Stud Mares' Novices' Hurdle) will suit her but the mares' races this year look very competitive, lots of strength in depth, so she'll have to be on her A game.

"Supasundae has a nice mark, he's on 145 and will carry 11st in the Coral Cup. He was only beaten 14 lengths in the Supreme last year, so he has form at Cheltenham and the extra trip will suit him."
Old March 8th, 2017, 22:47
Derby Winner

Talking Ok Guys -You can't miss this

This is the 'Cheltenham Preview Night' at 'The Goat Bar' in Dublin .. https://youtu.be/Pi5AZGWDUlw

Great entertainment and some useful tips for the Cheltenham Festival..

So take notes and enjoy

Last edited by bennythedip2; March 9th, 2017 at 00:39.
Old March 9th, 2017, 16:18
Derby Winner

Default Inside Views

So as the days draw closer now to the 'Greatest Show On Turf' let's get some inside views and the build up to the Festival

First up is Daryl Jacobs but let the 'reel' keep running to get some trainers views as well . https://youtu.be/QjWhkafFgQ4 .
Old March 9th, 2017, 22:20
Derby Winner

Default Ruby Walsh

Ruby Walsh gets his revenge :) https://youtu.be/XQClFD5hr6I .
Old March 12th, 2017, 02:08
Derby Winner

Default Preview Cheltenham

Nicky Henderson going fears over Buveur D'Air (March 11 2017)

Nicky Henderson will walk the course at Cheltenham on Sunday morning to get a feel for himself of how going conditions are shaping up for the Festival, which gets underway 48 hours later.

The trainer has a host of major contenders for the meeting, including three leading contenders for the Stan James Champion Hurdle, but speaking at the post-racing Cheltenham Festival preview at Sandown on Saturday evening, Henderson said he felt ‘the pendulum might be swinging’ against the horse that is the shortest-priced of the trio, recent Sandown scorer Buveur D’Air.

The man who has sent out more Cheltenham Festival winners than any other trainer said: “I’m going to have a look at the ground in the morning and see which way it’s going.

“The important thing for our trio in the Champion Hurdle is going to be the ground. Between our lot, he is the one guy who really loves soft ground. The pendulum sounds like it’s swinging towards the other two. It’s not like he can’t go on good ground, he’s just so effective on soft ground. I’m very happy where he is.

“On soft ground, I see Buveur D’Air doing best. On good ground, Brain Power might just have the edge.”

Also appearing on the same panel was Alan King, trainer of the race’s favourite Yanworth, who offered a positive report on a recent schooling session with Mark Walsh, the rider who has come in for the mount in the injury-enforced absence of Barry Geraghty.

“He popped over 10 flights with Mark Walsh on Thursday morning and he’s never jumped quicker or slicker,” said King. “All I can say he’s in the best form I’ve had him in all season. Whether that’s good enough to win, I don’t know, but I certainly think he’s going to run a big race.”

Nine other snippets of note to emerge from the preview

1) Nicky Henderson is still thinking of running L’Ami Serge in the Champion Chase, but says the only way he can envisage defeat for Douvan is if he’s taken on for the lead by the likes of Special Tiara and his jumping comes under pressure. “He just wouldn’t want to get too low at one,” says Henderson.

2) Alan King said he was still to decide about the possibility of putting headgear back on Uxizandre in the Ryanair. “I imagine he’ll run in cheekpieces, but it’s still not finalised,” he said. “I never like to run them back first time after a break in headgear, so I kept them off him then, but I might just run him in cheekpieces and keep the visor back for later if we need it. I’ll talk to JP and Frank on Sunday morning about it.”

3) Henderson said he was “not convinced” by Unowhatimeanharry – Jezki gets his vote in the Sun Bets Stayers’ Hurdle. “I think they’ve had a couple of issues with his wind and on good ground, I can see him lasting over the trip. He’s a good horse.”

4) Charli Parcs received a substantial vote of confidence from the trainer, despite his latest fall at Kempton. He’s clearly firmly on track for the JCB Triumph Hurdle.

“He clearly got into a bit of a muddle down the back last time,” reflected Henderson. “Noel Fehily said he was slightly doing the same thing the first time he won. It’s only the third race he’d ever had of any kind. Noel said just for a moment, he was thinking ‘Henderson has told me this is a machine but he’s not travelling like one’. Then he pulled him out and he was electric. I think the reason he fell is that he just grabbed hold of the bit. He is just very special.

“He has been very good. His schooling is fantastic. I’m afraid he came out of the race quite a bit better than Barry did. It never worried him. Noel rode him on Friday, schooled him, and he was great – he worked excellent. This is a horse I am mad about. I think he’s very talented. I would love it to go good ground by Friday.”

5) King, on the other hand, says he’s “worried about Nicky’s eyesight if he thinks Charli Parcs would have beaten Master Blueyes last time”. However, he still thinks favourite Defi Du Seuil is the one to beat. King is more than willing to forgive a relatively laboured performance from him at Chepstow, a track he seemingly doesn’t have a great deal of time for.

6) Henderson expressed fears over Might Bite’s suitability for Cheltenham, but doesn’t see the fact he also plans to run Whisper and O O Seven in the race as being a negative pointer to the favourite’s prospects.

“I know what Might Bite can do,” said the trainer. “He’s got into this position of being favourite because of what he was going to achieve at Kempton and it would have been mighty. He got beaten at Ffos Las, but he got into a rhythm after that at home and I think he is a very good horse.

“I am nervous about Cheltenham for him, but to be fair, until the day before yesterday, I have never seen him school so well. What I would say is that I do think that if Might Bite is favourite, it doesn’t smack of it being the hottest, hottest RSA. O O Seven would have to carry 11st 8lb in the Ultima. Whisper is an old horse learning new tricks and this looked easier than the JLT. We’ve got to run all of our horses in the race that suits them best. The more mud you through at it…”

7) King gave Messire Des Obeaux a very good talking-up ahead of the Neptune Novices’ Hurdle. “He’s come out of his race at Huntingdon very well, and that race has done what I hoped it would do,” he said. “I can’t see us beating Neon Wolf, but he’s 10/1-12/1 and I think that’s a huge each-way price. I just can’t see him being out of the frame.”

8) Henderson confirmed that Divin Bere has undergone “some tinkering with his soft palate” since Huntingdon. “Can we win the Fred Winter off top weight? It’s a big ask, but I like Divin Bere and it’s possible to argue that he’s about 10-15lb well-in on his form with Master Blueyes.”

9) Alan King runs Elgin in the Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle: “He’ll run. He was a decent second to Neon Wolf at Haydock. His form woldn’t be good enough to win but I think he can run well. Good ground will suit him and I don’t think the tracks he has been running at have been playing to his strengths as much as Cheltenham might.”