03:51
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Masters 2013

Old April 7th, 2013, 17:14
talk sport tipster

Default The Masters 2013

Starts on Thursday at Augusta and for most golf fans its the biggest major of the four....

Tiger Woods goes into it as the 7/2 fav after winning the other week and looking like his form is coming back ...

For me thats too skinny a price to be taking against the rest of this field.

Tigers has been playing well but will have to get the driver out here now the have made the course longer and that club is his weakness at the moment so could go anywhere..

Big Phil Mickelson is at around 12/1 and the two time champ should have won a third last year when finishing two behind after a treble boggy...He must be around on Sunday afternoon and in my opinion is vastly better value then Tiger...

Rory has been poor all year and at 8/1 is another who i dont really think you can bacjk with any real confidence..

Putting is the key here so players like Luke Donald and Keegan Bradley could well do well if holding their nerve..

I will be posting my fancies on Wednesday so anyone who is having a bet post here and we can see how we are all doing....

Old April 10th, 2013, 15:43
talk sport tipster

This time tomorrow most will have either started or will be making their way to the practice range for this years Masters......

Like i said before a few players are just not a backable price at the moment but may become so after a round or two ....

So saying that who we going for ....

LUKE DONALD @ 48...is big for a player that not long ago was the worlds No1....has finished top 5 here and top ten last two years so plays this course well..
A fair striker of the ball and one of the best short games going will make him a contender this year..

LEE WESTWOOD @ 36...is a player who maybe was unlucky not to win this two years ago , Great driver of the ball mixed with decent short game could make his price look way to big if he can just get the putter going.

KJ CHOI @ 120..isnt really a golfer i back but another who has a decent record here and could well spring back to some kind of form.

HENRIK STENSON @ 110..is a player woh finally looks to be getting his game back on track and another who has done ok in this before..
And just one at a massive price who might surprise and maybe worth an e/w bet ...

BERNARD LANGER @ 1000..past winner and maybe past it but you never know ...(remember Tom Watson in the Open the other year)....

Anyway its going to be a great four days of golfing action and if all is lost after day 2 you can always go back in.....

Prices from Betdaq......
Old April 10th, 2013, 19:26
I am Titty fancier

my 5 for this week are
Justin Rose @ 20/1
Ian Poulter @ 50/1
Henrik Stenson @ 60/1
Martin Laird @ 100/1
George Coetzee @ 150/1
£5 e/w on them all. I have left Sergio Garcia out this week,so he is a must bet for everyone. Im really looking forward to this as I have the golf bug back and when the sun shines you will find me on the fairways this year.
Old April 10th, 2013, 19:32
talk sport tipster

Lets hope for a Stenson win then Andy ......
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:05
Dedicated Punter

http://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/index.html

See where your money goes
Old April 13th, 2013, 13:41
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Masters worry for Tiger Woods
Tiger Woods could face disqualification from the Masters for an alleged illegal drop during his second round at Augusta.

World number one Woods saw his approach shot at the 15th hit the flag stick then spin back into the water, just as he was making a charge to the top of the leaderboard.

He decided against playing from the drop-zone and instead went back to where his original shot was played, but decided to move two yards further back, from where he produced a stunning shot to make bogey.

However, rule 26-1 states that he should play his second attempt as near as possible from the spot of the first, and in Woods' own words he decided to move it two yards back.

"I went down to the drop area, that wasn't going to be a good spot, because obviously it's into the grain and it was a little bit wet," said Woods.

"I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit. I felt that that was going to be the right decision to take off four right there. And I did, it worked out perfectly."

It is Woods' own admission that he moved the ball further back that could be his undoing, as that could be deemed by officials to be a breach of the rules, and that would carry a two-shot penalty.

However, since Woods has already signed his scorecard, it would then get even worse as signing for an incorrect scorecard comes with the penalty of disqualification from the event.

While it would be a huge move from Masters officials to throw the world number one out of the prestigious event, Sky Sports pundit David Howell told Masters Breakfast that Woods is right on the edge with his drop.

"He's exactly on the border, one more yard and Tiger's being disqualified, I don't think any of the officials would be able to give him that much leeway," said Howell.

"He's right on the limit. If he's done it deliberately because he preferred one more yard then he should be disqualified. If he just thought it was near enough then that's fine but only he knows really."

With reports of the incident growing, Masters officials face a huge problem when they get back to Augusta with the biggest name in golf under scrutiny.

Especially after teenager Tianlang Guan was docked a shot for slow play, there will be calls for the rules to be adhered to strictly again in the Woods case
Old April 13th, 2013, 14:03
talk sport tipster

Tiger Woods assessed 2-shot penalty at Masters

Tiger Woods was assessed a 2-shot penalty for an illegal drop
It came on hole No. 15 in the second round
Woods, a four-time Masters champ, has not won here since 2005.
AUGUSTA, Ga. — Tiger Woods was assessed a two-shot penalty at the Masters Saturday for taking an illegal drop during Friday's second round.

The world's No. 1 player, who is trying to win his fifth green jacket and 15th major championship, was deemed by the Masters' Rules Committee to have taken an illegal drop on the 15th hole. He was not disqualified, however, for signing an incorrect scorecard as a result of a rule change two years ago.

The R&A and U.S. Golf Association relaxed its rules on disqualification for signing an incorrect scorecard after an incident involving Padraig Harrington in a European Tour event. A television viewer, watching coverage in high definition TV, phoned tournament officials that Harrington's ball moved ever so slightly as he addressed a putt. Harrington did not realize the ball had moved. When it was reviewed, however, officials determined the ball had moved and gave him a two-stroke penalty. Thus, Harrington was disqualified a day after the incident for signing an incorrect scorecard.

The governing bodies determined players should not be disqualified because of "facts that he or she didn't know and could not reasonably have discovered prior to returning his scorecard. Thus, stroke penalties will be added to a score retrospectively.

He signed for a 1-under-par 71, which included a 6 on the 15th hole. With the penalty, his scorecard now shows an 8 on 15 and a 73 on Friday. He will be at 1 under par overall, and five shots out of the lead.

Tournament officials waited for Woods to arrive to the course to consult with him before making their decision.

Woods, who has not won a major since the 2008 U.S. Open, was just one shot out of the lead when he hit his third shot on the par-5 from 87 yards. The ball, however, hit the flag stick and caromed backward into a water hazard fronting the green.

From here, under Rule 26-1, Woods had three options.

He could have played his next shot from the designated drop area, which was to the left front of the water hazard. He did not choose this option.

Or he could drop the ball as far back from the original position, keeping the point where it last crossed the margin of the water between the hole and the spot on which the ball would be dropped. The ball entered the water well left of Woods' position from the fairway. It seemed Woods did not choose this option – which would have allowed him to drop on a straight line as far back as he wanted.

Or he could return to the original spot from which he played, and drop "as nearly as possible,'" from where he played the third shot.

After the round Woods said he chose to play his fifth shot from the area in which he hit his third shot. He said he wanted to go two yards back of the original divot to make sure the ball landed short of the flag.

The issue at question is whether that violates the rule stating the ball should be dropped "as nearly as possible" to the spot where it was last played.

"I went back to where I played it from, but I went 2 yards further back and I took, tried to take 2 yards off the shot of what I felt I hit," Woods said.

Woods was penalized earlier this year for taking an illegal drop. In Abu Dhabi, his first tournament of the season, Woods thought he had made the cut when he shot 73 in the second round. But he was given a two-stroke penalty form taking a free drop when his ball was embedded in sand. That was not allowed in the tournament. The two strokes pushed Woods' total to 3-over-par 147. The cut was 146.
Old April 13th, 2013, 14:23
Dedicated Punter

When Woods was asked about the penalty shot given to Guan he said "rules are rules" Unless you are called Tiger Woods, it makes the Tournament an absolute sham.
Old April 13th, 2013, 15:11
I am Titty fancier

Very harsh to disqualify Tiger in these circumstances, He did not knowingly break a rule and gained no advantage by playing shot from new position, he has received a 2 shot penalty which I think in itself is harsh, Guan had been warned three times about slow play and continued, I thought you could go back as far as you wanted if your ball went into a water hazard,some of the rules in golf are pecuilar to say the least,
Old April 13th, 2013, 16:01
Dedicated Punter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormade View Post
Very harsh to disqualify Tiger in these circumstances, He did not knowingly break a rule and gained no advantage by playing shot from new position, he has received a 2 shot penalty which I think in itself is harsh, Guan had been warned three times about slow play and continued, I thought you could go back as far as you wanted if your ball went into a water hazard,some of the rules in golf are pecuilar to say the least,
He stated in his interview that he deliberately went back another 2 yards. He knew the Rules, he stated he picked this one out of the three options he had. He then dropped it illegally and signed for a wrong score. The result of signing for a wrong score is disqualification. How many players previously have unknowingly broken the rules and then been disqualified? The answer is every previous player, now everyone can break the rules and escape disqualification as they have set a precedent.

You can go as far back as you want, as long as you keep the point of entry and flag in line, this was one of Woods options, which he declined. Guan is 14 years old, playing in his first major on a course that takes years to learn. And on finding out what had happened Woods said rules are rules therefore the rule for signing for a wrong score is DQ.