Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Racing > Horse Racing Video links

Al Kazeem back in training

Old May 8th, 2014, 11:30
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Al Kazeem back in training

Al Kazeem back with Charlton

Trainer Roger Charlton admitted to feeling "mixed emotions" after welcoming multiple Group One winner Al Kazeem back into training after he was found to be sub-fertile at stud.

Al Kazeem: Has returned to training with Roger Charlton

The six-year-old was retired following a fantastic campaign in 2013, winning the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh, the Prince of Wales's Stakes at Royal Ascot and the Coral-Eclipse at Sandown.

After finishing sixth in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe in October, the son of Dubawi was bought by the Queen and syndicated among leading breeders to stand at the Royal Studs in Sandringham.

However, since beginning his stallion career earlier this year, he has failed to reach the required fertility levels and was the subject of an insurance claim.

Al Kazeem has now returned to Charlton's Beckhampton yard with a view to returning to the racecourse in the colours of former owner, John Deer.

Charlton said: "I have mixed emotions. I'm really sad, like everyone else, he has proved to be sub-fertile. He had great potential to make the grade as a stallion.

"On the other hand I am delighted to welcome him back into an environment he knows and now we now face the challenge of teaching him to be a racehorse again.

"Some horses adapt very well to going back into training and some don't, but it wasn't long ago he left the yard and he is a horse with a good personality.

"He was always a very sound horse and easy to train during his previous spell here, so we'll see how we go."

When asked when Al Kazeem could make a return to competitive action, the trainer said: "It's impossible to know. We have nothing planned at this stage."
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:31
Derby Winner

oops .. wrong section
Old July 14th, 2014, 14:54
Derby Winner

He's back this weekend 19th July
Old September 30th, 2014, 19:23
Derby Winner

Wink Al's back and going in the Arc !

Al Kazeem given Arc go-ahead

Owner John Deer confirmed Al Kazeem an intended runner in Sunday's Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp.

Roger Charlton's six-year-old also holds an entry in Saturday's BMW Cumberland Lodge Stakes at Ascot, but he will instead bid for Arc glory for a second time, with regular rider James Doyle set to be on board in Paris.

The three-times Group One winner was brought back into training with Charlton earlier this year following an unsuccessful stint at stud.

Following a pleasing comeback at Newbury and a return to winning ways in the Winter Hill Stakes at Windsor, Al Kazeem came up short when fifth in the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown, but Deer is keen to see how he fares back over a mile and a half.

He said: "I'm pretty sure he's going to go to France.

"He seems to be in good form and is going nicely on the gallops and we're keen to give it a go.

"I'm not sure what the ground is going to be like, possibly good to firm.

"I believe James is available, which is a big help."

Al Kazeem was a creditable sixth in last year's Arc, but looks sure to encounter less demanding conditions upon his return to France.

Although there is little rain forecast, course officials have no plan to water, according to the International Racing Bureau.

A statement on the IRB website read: "The ground (on Tuesday) at Longchamp is officially good.

"The clerk of the course has said that there is very little rain forecast for this week and he does not intend watering and expects the ground to be good.

"He will try and have it the same as it was for the Arc trials on September 14."
Old October 20th, 2014, 20:12
Derby Winner

Default Al Kazeem for Hong Kong Cup (Dec)

Kazeem team eye Hong Kong trip - Updated: October 20 2014

Al Kazeem is in line for a trip to Hong Kong following his gallant effort in defeat at Ascot on Saturday.

The Roger Charlton-trained six-year-old returned to training this season having proved sub-fertile at stud, and has gradually rediscovered his best form, finishing just over five lengths behind Treve in the Arc before going down fighting to Noble Mission in the QIPCO Champion Stakes.

Charlton told his website, www.rogercharlton.com: ``We will consider going to Hong Kong with him in mid-December to run in either the Longines Hong Kong Cup over 10 furlongs with a first prize of nearly $1.1million or the Longines Hong Kong Vase over 12 furlongs.

``I have always been of the opinion that he is better suited going right-handed, as his record suggests. He is likely to remain in training next year and races like the Ganay and the Tattersalls Gold Cup could be on his agenda in the spring.

``Al Kazeem happily led the string out this morning, as he always does, and his regular rider James Horton reported him to be in fine form, and suggested that you wouldn't know that he had had a race!

``What a remarkable horse.''
Old October 22nd, 2014, 16:19
Derby Winner

Wink Proud of AL

Charlton proud of Kazeem

Roger Charlton has spoken of his pride at seeing Al Kazeem return to his best in Saturday’s QIPCO Champion Stakes at Ascot.

The six-year-old returned to training this season having proved sub-fertile at stud and ran by far his best race when going down all guns blazing to Noble Mission at the Berkshire track.

The trainer told Racing UK: “I’m so pleased for the horse. He’s never given me any concern other than getting him fit and then trying to defy the statistics that it's really unlikely they are going to come back and be at their best.

“I felt slightly that he didn’t really have the respect he deserves going into the race. I don’t back horses very often but I backed him at 100/1 on Betfair and I backed him at 60/1 and 30/1. I could see no reason why he should be that price.

“He was only beaten five-and-a-half lengths in the Arc and as long as he went on the ground I thought he had a chance of getting in the money.

“I didn’t expect him to be able to win so therefore I was proud of him. His Timeform rating suggests he ran as well there as he did in winning the Eclipse."

Charlton feels the horse has improved with racing this term - including that run behind Treve at Longchamp.

“I thought when he came back from France he looked fit for the first time. It’s not a normal thing to run a horse in the Arc then pull him out 13 days later but he was so fresh and so well and moving beautifully and I felt we had nothing to lose," he added.

“I needed to prove he should stay in training another year, which I’m grateful he is, and it’s been a great story.”
Old March 19th, 2015, 15:44
Derby Winner

Cool April 6th & May 24th

Curragh on Kazeem radar .. (March 19 2015)

Former winner Al Kazeem is one of 28 entries for the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh on May 24.

Roger Charlton's seven-year-old returned from a spell at stud last year to run right back up to his best form, agonisingly beaten by Noble Mission in the Champion Stakes at Ascot.

He beat Camelot in the 10-furlong Group One two years ago and the race is likely to be on his agenda once more.

"It's certainly one we'll look at, ground permitting," said Charlton.

"He'll go to France before that, for the Prix d'Harcourt at Longchamp on April 6, a Group Two over 10 furlongs.

"It really was great to get him back last season."

Also among the entries for the Curragh highlight is Kevin Ryan's The Grey Gatsby, winner of the Irish Champion Stakes last season where he beat the Derby winner Australia.

St Leger winner Kingston Hill, Adelaide, winner of the Cox Plate for Aidan O'Brien, and John Oxx's My Titania are also entered.

Dermot Weld's exciting Free Eagle, stablemate Fascinating Rock and Sir Michael Stoute's Cannock Chase catch the eye.

Ralph Beckett's exciting Air Pilot is an interesting contender over middle distances this season, while Ger Lyons has entered Chopin, formerly trained in Germany.

Curragh general manager Paul Hensey said: "We are delighted to see so many Classic and Group One winners among the initial entries for this world-class race and we are very grateful to both owners and trainers for supporting what promises to be one of the highlights of our 2015 season."
Old April 6th, 2015, 15:47
Derby Winner

Wink Al Kazeem wins it in France

Al Kazeem strikes in France .. (April 6 2015)

Al Kazeem made a successful seasonal reappearance with a hard-fought win in the Group Two Prix d'Harcourt at Longchamp. . .

Ryan Moore always had the Roger Charlton-trained seven-year-old close to the pace set by Celtic Rock, with Godolphin's Fractional close up.

Al Kazeem went on a furlong and a half from home but was all out to hold Affaire Solitaire, with Fate finishing strongly to finish a close third.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image27-570x413.jpg (96.2 KB, 0 views)
Old May 24th, 2015, 14:36
Derby Winner

He's done it again Al Kazeem wins the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh worth 155,000 euro to the winner
Old May 24th, 2015, 15:07
Derby Winner

Default Al Kazeem still brilliant in the Cup

Popular veteran Al Kazeem clinched another Group One prize in a thrilling renewal of the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh.

The Roger Charlton-trained seven-year-old claimed the first of three top-level victories in this event two years ago and returned from an unsuccessful stint at stud almost as good as ever last season, going down narrowly in the Champion Stakes at Ascot.

Having made a winning reappearance at Longchamp before being denied by Cirrus Des Aigles in the Prix Ganay, Al Kazeem was sent off at 3/1 on his return to Ireland and raced with his usual enthusiasm throughout in the hands of James Doyle.

Postponed employed a front-running role from the outset, with fellow British raiders The Grey Gatsby and Al Kazeem his closest pursuers.

Heading inside the last two furlongs, Al Kazeem was initially short of room as he angled for a gap between runners, but bravely went between rivals to get to the lead.

For a moment it looked as though Fascinating Rock was being produced to foil the raiding party, but Al Kazeem held him off under a jubilant Doyle, who was winning the race for the third successive year.

Postponed was close-up in third, with 11/10 favourite The Grey Gatsby a disappointing fourth.

"I can't speak highly enough of this horse," Doyle told At The Races. "The ground today was absolutely perfect. I just felt it was a bit holding in France and he got stuck in it, but he's a class horse and once he got his shoulder in that gap I knew he'd take a bit of beating. He's a big horse.

"I knew passing the three he was cantering and we were going very well. He's everything you look for in a racehorse. He looked an absolute picture beforehand and he's a credit to his connections."

Al Kazeem: A brilliant performance from the popular veteran.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg al-kazeem-sl_3054463.jpg (95.9 KB, 0 views)