Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football Predictions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Alexis Sanchez - Deal Done -

Old January 22nd, 2018, 18:43
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Alexis Sanchez - Deal Done -

Alexis Sanchez signs for Manchester United; Arsenal get Henrikh Mkhitaryan (January 22 2018)

Alexis Sanchez has completed his move from Arsenal to Manchester United, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving the other way.

Sanchez had been expected to leave Arsenal for Manchester City, but their interested ended reportedly due to the financial demands of the player.

United stepped in with the offer of a swap involving Armenian international Mkhitaryan and the details were finalised on Monday night.

The Chile forward arrives at Old Trafford after three-and-a-half years at the Emirates, where his contract had been due to expire this summer.

"I am thrilled to be joining the biggest club in the world," Sanchez said on the United website.

"I have spent three-and-a-half wonderful years at Arsenal and I bring with me very positive memories of that great club and its fans.

"The chance to play in this historic stadium and to work with Jose Mourinho was something I could not turn down.

"I am very proud to be the first Chilean player ever to play for United's first team and I hope I can show our fans all around the world why the club wanted to bring me here."

Sanchez, who will wear the number seven shirt, is believed to have secured a deal which makes him the Premier League's highest-paid player.

United manager Jose Mourinho said: "Alexis is one of the best attacking players in the world and he will complete our very young and talented group of attacking players.

"He will bring his ambition, drive and personality, qualities that make a Manchester United player and a player that makes the team stronger and the supporters proud of their club dimension and prestige."

Mkhitaryan failed to hold down a regular starting place at Old Trafford following his move from Dortmund in 2016.

He was substituted at half-time on his full debut in the Premier League, against City, and again on what proved to be his final start for the club in the FA Cup.

Arsenal said Mkhitaryan had signed "a long-term contract".

The Armenian said: "I'm very happy that we could finish this deal and I'm very happy to be here. It's a dream come true because I've always dreamed of playing for Arsenal. Now that I'm here, I'll do my best for this club to create history."

Arsene Wenger added: "Henrikh is a very complete player. He creates chances, he defends well, he can absorb distances and he's very committed as well. I must say he's a player who has all the attributes."