08:50
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

NFL Season 2008/09

Old August 11th, 2008, 13:37
Dedicated Punter

Cleveland Browns....i think of them and i think of Bernie Kosar, who had the biggest afro in the world yet was as white as the driven snow and wondering why they were called the Browns yet had orange helmets.....

Anyway, in recent years the Browns have been the Browns of normal - languishing in their own division, providing most teams with comfortable wins and doing well to get close to a .500 season. But something happened last year....and no one really understands why.

There were problems at QB for Cleveland, with people coming and going and having no effect, then they get a rookie superstar QB from the draft, yet dont play him, favouring a young and hitherto unheralded QB called Derek Anderson.

The season started off mundane for Cleveland, then i think it was around week 4 or 5, they won a ridiculous game against divisional rivals Cincinatti something like 64-49 (thats like a Prem game finishing 8-6 or something). This guy Derek Anderson suddenly became one of the hottest QB's in the NFL and found a wide receiver called Braylon Edwards who seemed to have superglue on his hands, and together they put up some monster numbers. Why or how is still a ???? but as a duo they became one of last seasons elite.

They became the closest challengers to the eventual divisional winners, Pittsburgh Steelers, but ran them very close and nearly made the end of season playoffs, only missing out by .5 of a game.

This season is gonna be interesting for the Browns. Were they a one season wonder or are they the real deal. Its probably AK v 88, but they are definitely a team to keep an eye on. I would say no to a realistic chance of SB glory, as they are in the AFC and need to better teams like the Patriots, Chargers, Colts, Jaguars and Steelers to be the AFC rep, but we will know after 5 or 6 games just how much they have improved...they have a tough schedule though and personally I think they will end up something like 8-8, 7-9 come the end of the regular season.
Old August 11th, 2008, 14:54
Dedicated Punter

Default The Shark's Divisional Review

Seeing as at least two people are enjoying the NFL season preview (or just humouring me!) and seeing as im a total NFL junkie, i thought id do a division by division review for the forthcoming season.

Wont do them all in one go, just one at a time over the next few weeks, but i'll start with the one I know most about, and will try and be as fair and objective as possible...though please note this first one will be like me trying to review a division that contains just Derby Co, Notts Forest, Leicester Chity and dirty Leeds.

NFC EAST - teams : New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles and the Washington Redskins

Last season order of finishing with season Won/Loss record:

1. Dallas Cowboys 13-3 (lost to Giants in NFC Divisional play off game)
2. New York Giants 10-6 (won the Superbowl)
3. Washington Redskins 9-7 (lost to Seattle in Wildcard play off game)
4. Philadelphia Eagles 8-8 (did not qualify for playoffs)

DALLAS COWBOYS.

Swallows the bile back down.....Dallas are known as "Americas Team" and are probably the most famous/successful NFL team of all time (very arguably). They currently have a very strong squad, lead by QB Tony Romo, though he is more famous for dating Jessica Simpson. But with Marion Barber at RB, and the "love him if he plays for your team otherwise hate him" Terrell Owens at WR, they do, unfortunately, remain the team to beat in the NFC East. Notorious for starting off awesome and then choking as the season heats up (like Liverpool in the EPL) Dallas will be looking a postseason football at a minimum but will be many peoples tip to be the NFC rep at this years Superbowl.

Offensive Rating : 9/10
Defensive Rating : 8/10

My prediction : 12-4, playoffs but no SB appearance again for the Redskins most hated of rivals.

NEW YORK GIANTS.

I still do not know how this bunch of non-descripts won the Superbowl. OK, non-descripts a touch harsh, but the "Big Blue" surely cannot repeat last years against all odds success. They have lost one of their talismen, Jeremy Shockey, to the New Orleans Saints, and have a few injury concerns, but either way, Eli Manning and Co will not be a surprise package anymore and have the weight of defending Champs to play to as well. In this rough and tough division, I see them struggling, even though their coach, Tom Coughlin, will be as tactically astute as ever.

Offensive Rating : 7/10
Defensive Rating : 7/10

My prediction : 7-9, no playoffs this year and a poor defence of the Crown.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

New Head Coach Jim Zorn brings his West Coast offense to DC, which should give more potency to Washingtons offense, which sometimes does struggle to put points on the board. However, young QB Jason Campbell will have more weapons to fire this season, with the Skins using their draft picks wisely to enhance their WR corps which now looks very healthy, along with top notch TE Chris Cooley and stud RB Clinton Portis. The defense has also been strengthened, with Pro Bowl veteran Jason Taylor added to a high rated D from Miami which will give the Skins a great pass rush as well as a talented secondary. For once the Skins have a decent looking schedule and if they can negotiate the usual intense games against their divisional rivals, they could well push the Cowgirls all the way.

Offensive Rating : 7.5/10
Defensive Rating : 8.5/10

My prediction : 11-5, playoff football...and im dreaming of what could be for my beloved boys....

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

The Eagles will always be dangerous opponents, but they are not the force of a few seasons ago, despite having probably the best all purpose RB in the NFL in Brian Westbrook. Their QB, Donovan McNabb, is now aging and quite injury prone, and there seems to be no confidence in the backup QB's in Philly. The defense is very suspect against the pass, and games often end in shootouts. The Evil Birds will be no pushovers, but I think there is more hope than expectation in Philly this season, and a .500 record will be fairly well received I believe.

Offensive Rating : 7.5/10 (would be 6 if not for Westbrook, watch out of he gets injured!)

My Prediction : 7-9, struggle again for Philly and a battle to avoid the wooden spoon placing with NYG.

NFC EAST OVERALL

Without doubt the most combative division in the NFC and rivalled only by the AFC South in the NFL overall. Much will depend on the divisional matchups - if these are shared equally then you could again see three teams qualifying from this division. However i see the division being a shootout between the two most intense rivals in the NFL, the Cowboys and the Redskins, with both the Giants and the Eagles struggling to keep pace.

1. Cowboys
2. Redskins
3. Giants
4. Eagles
Old August 11th, 2008, 15:32
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Thumbs up Sharky, trust me !

I'm definitely not humouring you I think it's great to read your in-site into a sport i like to watch when possible . I went to Wembley back in the 80's to see the 1st NFL game played in this country, i think it was Browns v Eagles ( not sure now) !! Any way that was when i followed the game on Channel 4, and we had a great day out .
It was also a time when i liked betting the spread on these games but along the way horse racing and then greyhounds took over . The one thing i remember from a betting point was, like yourself, if you followed what was happening with certain players some bets were 'nailed on' !! glk mate and keep us informed

benny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan_glly.jpg (10.8 KB, 0 views)
Old August 11th, 2008, 16:00
Dedicated Punter

Cheers for that Benny....and dont worry, i'll be posting very regularly with updates, info, news and views because i totally adore the NFL...as you can probably tell...

One of the best days of my life was watching a live NFL game for the first (and only to date) time...i was in New Orleans and went to the Superdome to watch the Saints beat the Cowboys. One day i will get to Fedex Field to watch the Skins play at home as well....one of my lifetimes ambitions.

But for now, ill be playing countless fantasy league games, watching any live games that are on, keeping up to date with everything going on and posting my own views and thoughts on here as much as is possible, whether people read it/take it seriously or not!!!
Old August 11th, 2008, 19:45
talk sport tipster

Default As we have some interest....

on the NFL im going to watch a few games this season and like i used to follow the fortunes of The Cleveland Browns...

Great write ups Mark and keep them coming.......
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:07
Dedicated Punter

Default The Shark's Divisional Review (2)

We will stay in the NFC and this time look at the NFC North Division

NFC NORTH - Teams : Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears

Last Season :

1. Green Bay Packers 13-3 (Lost NFC Champ. Game to New York Giants
2. Minnesota Vikings 8-8 (Did not qualify for playoffs)
3. Detroit Lions 7-9 (DNQ)
4. Chicago Bears 7-9 (DNQ)

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Green Bay enjoyed a stellar season last time, primarily due to the continuing talents of Brett Favre, who enjoyed a record breaking season with two excellent WR's in Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, but also due to the discovery of RB rookie Ryan Grant, who after keeping the bench warm for the first half of the season got his chance due to injury and ran teams ragged. Green Bay looked certs to reach the SB but ran headlong into the Giants who beat them in their own backyard to reach the SB. This season though, as has been mentioned, Brett Favre retired, then didnt, then retired, then rejoined, but was traded to the New York Jets to allow rookie QB Aaron Rodgers a chance to develop into another franchise QB. Another 13-3 season is too much to expect though and Green Bay will have a fight on their hands to win the division. Lambeau Field remains a hostile environment though that few teams enjoy playing at....the Pack will be competative as always.

Offensive Rating : 7/10 (Favre-less now!)

My Prediction : Playoff chances, but may be a wildcard route only

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

I've always had a soft spot for Minnesota, and they have threatened consistently to have a breakout season, but rarely have they done it. This season though they will surely not get a better chance to go deep into the playoffs. Adrian Peterson was "just" a rookie RB this time last year....This time this year he is the NFL's hottest property and expected to be the #1 RB come January. Ably assisted by Chester Taylor, the Vikes have a running game to be proud of, and there is no doubt that HC Brad Childress will run teams into the ground, behind a very big O line. The passing game though is questionable, with QB Tavaris Jackson misfiring all too regularly to get the Vikes out of trouble when their running game is stuffed at source. But the Vikings also have the #1 rated Defence, and it is this that could carry them to the big dance at the end of the season. It must also be noted that Minnesota play their home games indoor on astroturf....when they are away, playing outdoors on grass, in inclement weather, they do tend to suffer for it...

Offensive Rating : 8/10 (would be higher with a better QB, would be lower without Peterson)
Defensive Rating : 9.5/10 (still a little suspect against the pass)

My Prediction : Playoff football for the Vikings - could do with home field advantage in the playoffs though

DETROIT LIONS

Wheres Barry Sanders when you need him? Detroit usually flit somewhere between competative to woeful, and this season looks to be erring more to the latter than the former. Their QB, Jon Kitna, reckons the Lions should be winning 10 games this season....he said that last season as well, and though the Lions started promisingly, they soon faded and become the one dimensional team we know and chuckle at. A pair of talented WR's they have its true, but their O line is paper thin and their running attack is almost non existant. Could be a long season for the Lions...

Offensive Rating : 6/10
Defensive Rating : 5/10

My Prediction : Should be in line for a decent early draft pick next April....

CHICAGO BEARS

Now here is an enigma of a team. Last season much was expected of them, and they disappointed massively. Reason is they depend too much on their very good defense, whilst their offense struggles to put any sort of drives together. Last season Chicago's biggest scoring weapon was a special teams player called Devin Hester - this guy had a habit of running punts and kick offs straight back for TD's - so much so that teams started to kick it straight out of bounds and take a penalty rather than try and stop him. Hester has been promoted to WR this season and chances are they will just dump the ball to him with short screen passes and let him laser his way to the endzone. That alone wont be enough though, and Chicago need more consistency to be competative. Problems at QB and RB dont fill you with confidence, though their Defense remains as rough and tough as ever.

Offensive Rating : 6/10
Defensive Rating : 9/10

My Prediction : Not sure they can put enough points on the board to win more matches than they lose.

NFC NORTH OVERALL

Minnesota should take the division, though alot will depend on Peterson staying fit and them finding a few wins away from their Dome. Green Bay will be their biggest challenger, but only if they get rid of the Favre effect sooner rather than later, whilst Chicago could make it a three horse race if they find some offensive consistency. Cant see Detroit being competative, though they wont be the worst team in the NFL either.

1. Vikings
2. Packers
3. Bears
4. Lions
Old August 17th, 2008, 14:55
talk sport tipster

Default Nfl............

Sharky...when does the season start on tv here...Sundays nights are boring so the sooner the better...
Old August 17th, 2008, 17:59
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Boring Tony ?

You speak for yourself mate.....Sundays is "Swingers Night"
Old August 17th, 2008, 18:02
talk sport tipster

Default Errrrrrrrrrrr

Dont you need a partner to go swinging...?

or if i go on my own maybe they call it....swung....
Old August 17th, 2008, 20:38
Dedicated Punter

NFL regular season is still a few week away mate....unfortunately.

First game is Thurs 4 Sept, when my heroic Washington Redskins take on the defending world champs the New York Giants in the traditional season opener.

That game will be televised but Week 1 and NFL Sunday gets underway properly on Sunday 7 Sept - dont think first live games have e
been announced yet but as soon as they are ill post on here.

Will do a round up tomorrow of 2nd round of preseason friendly games, as well as continue my divisional reviews, and updates of latest injuries, trades and rumours.