06:57
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

British Open Golf..Who do you fancy?

Old July 14th, 2008, 13:49
talk sport tipster

Default British Open Golf..Who do you fancy?

At Royal Birkdale....Australian Craig Parry will hit the first tee shot at 6.30am to start what will be a long day for most players.
Birkdale has hosted the Open before and Tom Watson last won his last British Open here in 1983 and will be in the field again this year.

With no Tiger this year i think its going to be anybodys to win and i wouldnt be too suprised if the claret jug was being lifted late Sunday afternoon by a first time major winner from the European Tour.

Now as we have done for all the big golfing events this year (and had plenty of succsess) it would be nice to know who are everyones five against the field...So lets get selections on this thread by Wednesday so we can all have a punt to make things even more interesting...
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:02
I am Titty fancier

Default The open championship

Ross Fisher @ 66/1
Miguel Angel Jimenez @ 40/1
Justin Rose @ 33/1
Boo Weekley @ 100/1
Soren Hansen @ 100/1

All the above prices are available at Ladbrokes and I believe are the best prices available at the moment,which is very unlike Ladbrokes,as I normally find them very tight on golf prices.

I played Royal Birkdale last year and played really well and managed to break 90 , there are millions of bunkers everywhere and I felt like I visited them all.
Accuracy off the tee is everything and if the wind blows,I think the pros will struggle to break par and should make interesting viewing.

Ross Fisher is my pick for the open,I seen this lad at Loch Lomond last week and although he was hopeless on the final days play, he looks so hungry for success and hits the ball miles and straight,he must be there abouts on Sunday afternoon.

Miguel Jimenez looks a character on the course and hits the ball very straight
and hes been playing well in the majors this year is another player with a good chance.

Justin Rose popped up as an amateur here about 10 yrs ago , and played really well on this course,although he been struggling lately,I think his experience and form on this course will stand him in good stead and I expect him to be thereabouts also.He has had numerous visits to the course this year for practice sessions and appears to have his sights set on the claret jug.

Boo Weekley is another fancy of mine, I just like his name and love it when the crowd boo him on the tee.

Soren Hansen is a big price too at 100/1 and he keeps the ball in play alot and could be good value.

Theres also another hundred and odd golfers to consider and most of them have a chance except Colin Montgommerie who looks like he has the wait of the world on his shoulders.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:37
talk sport tipster

Default Superb review Taylor

Yes i have to agree with you on Monty.. if he didnt let every little thing get to him im sure by now he would have been a major winner.

Good shout with Justin Rose, has played well in a few majors without quite seeing all four rounds through and i think that playing here might just help him this time.

Im having a study of form etc later so will give you my views on what i think will be a very entertaining 4 days.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:58
Dedicated Punter

Heres my 5 + 1 against the field. After last Major probably better lays.

Ernie Els @ 16.5. A little off his best form but a decent finish at Loch Lomond, and I believe, best top 5 finish record in the last 10 years.

Jimenez @ 44 now 38. Steady golfer, likes to draw the ball which should help if windy.

Martin Kaymer @ 90. Possible star of the future, hits the ball for miles. No track record on links though.

K J Choi @ 150 now 140. Very straight off the tee, in decent form and has links experience.

Graham Storm @ 500 now 530 Brought up playing links golf in Seaton Carew. If he starts well should be a free bet.

And finally Monty @ 130, shows what a sentimental mug I am
Old July 15th, 2008, 23:07
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Great Post's Guys

I dont really follow golf these days but as it's the open i'll have a small e/w on Jim Furyk ....why ?

'Gentleman Jim' hinted at a return to form in the AT&T National two weeks ago, his third place finish his best result since the start of May. But by his own high standards the 38-year-old from Pennsylvania has been in a mini-slump, without a win in nearly a year, and just five top 10s this season.
He is 15th on the FedEx Cup list and after ranking in the top 10 in the world for more than 250 weeks between 1999 and 2008, he is now down to 12th.
Not a prolific winner even when he was climbing to number two behind Woods, Furyk has amassed over $38 million in official winnings (fourth in the all-time list) but has just 13 PGA Tour titles to his name and just five since his victory in the 2003 US Open.
He missed five straight cuts at the Open before his fourth place two years ago. He may have one more big win in him, but few would tip it to come this week !
Oh except Benny 25/1 Ladbrokes
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:34
talk sport tipster

Default Its all down to putting..

Seventeen hours from now Craig Parry will hit the first shot of the 2008 British Open at Royal Birkdale.
Some ex winners in this years field include the last winner of the Open here Mark O'Meara (1000/1), Tom Watson (1000/1) whos last major win was here, everyones favourite John Daly (500/1) and Scotlands last winner Paul Lawrie (250/1) not forgetting last years playoff winner Padreig Harrington (18/1).

Birkdale not being the longest course has some of the tightest fairways and small greens of any of the Major courses and i think over the next four days putting will be the key to victory.

If the wind blows then were going to see some big scores and maybe an over par winner but if its calm then i think round -9 to -12 could be the winning score.

Now without Tiger its all up for grabs and these are my fancies to give us a run for our money...

SERGIO GARCIA (12/1)..Six top ten finishes in the british open over the last seven years shows that he loves this major and is bang on form so must rate a very good bet to lift the Claret jug for the first time as long as his putting holds up especially over the last two rounds.

HENRIK STENSON (66/1)..Been a little hit and miss this year but loves playing British courses and has the right game for this sort of venue. Would need to improve on recent form but if he can get off to a good start day one then the 66/1 for an e/w finish will look very generous.

HUNTER MAHON (66/1)..A player i have been tipping up for a biggie for a couple of years now and even though he hasnt looked like winning one yet his game has come along a lot this year and a shorter course will be right up his street and he looks like another good e/w bet to be around in contention come Sunday afternoon.

JUSTIN LEANORD (33/1)..Past winner of the Open and one of the few Americans that look at home on British courses. Right back to form over the last few weeks in America and i think he can carry that form into this event and he will be a dangerous player if anywhere near the top three with a round to play.

MIKE WEIR (100/1)..Now heres a player who can come right back to form at anytime and although he will need to hes one of the best short game players in the world and won at Valderama when the wind blew a few years ago. Has been in contention a few times for major glory but everytime Tiger was the man leading and Weir came up short. A massive price e/w in what looks like a wide open major...

I think the value bet could be the 11/4 on offer for a playoff and maybe even the 12/1 on offer for a playoff of 3 or more players.

Anyway whatever the result im sure were in for some great entertainment over the next four days and with the BBC starting coverage at 9am tomorrow and going through till 8pm a long day in front of the tv is gaurenteed.
Old July 16th, 2008, 13:06
Archipelago 168

Thanks Tony, an excellent write-up as always. Whilst it is most unimaginative of me, I am going for Sergia Garcia
Old July 16th, 2008, 15:14
talk sport tipster

Nice one guys...plenty of good selections and reasons why.

Now just got to find the best value...i know some bookies are paying 1/4 first 6...
Old July 16th, 2008, 21:23
Dedicated Punter

I have backed :

Jim Furyk - 25/1
Miguel Angel Jiminez - 33/1
Hunter Mahan - 50/1
Boo Weekley - 100/1
Oliver Wilson - 100/1

Mahan and Weekley i have followed all season - Wilson is having a great season, ultra consistent and seems to have recovered from his back injury with a very good showing in the Scottish Open - Jiminez i fancy as it seems to be Spain or a Spaniard winning everything this summer plus he is again playing very well, and Furyk just seems good value for someone who is usually so accurate tee to green, putts well and is high on the GIR stat category.

Good luck all
Old July 16th, 2008, 23:06
talk sport tipster

Default Some good fancys their Mark..

I cant wait for it to start and it looks like the wind will be blowing..

Ive had a couple more little bets on two players who i think are way to long in the betting.

Nick Dougherty @ 150/1....local lad whos played this course all his life and has beem mentored by Nick Faldo.

David Howell @ 150/1...was in the worlds top 10 only a couple of years ago but has slumped in form the last two years....could come into this as he has a solid game tee to green and with a little better putting could be another player to come back to form here.