11:03
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The US Open Golf...Forum selections

Old June 11th, 2008, 12:30
Dedicated Punter

Default Agreed

Definitely agree Tony....by the time I had posted and re-read mine I saw yours was up and was happy to see our thought processes very similar.

I would love to see Tiger win - in a day and age where sportsmen (and women!) abuse their privileged status so much and are arrogant beyond belief, Tiger is a perfect role model and someone I would suggest universally loved and respected as well as being the greatest player to ever play the worlds hardest game. I think this tourney will come a touch too soon though for the phenom though....but I fully respect your opinion Tony....and good luck to you my friend. I will also be having little saver bets on your selections, especially after your very impressive tipping at the Masters!!!

Tell you what Tony...as we have both selected the top two in the market...and they are paired together in Rds 1 & 2...what say, as a friendly little side bet, we have an even fiver on who finishes with the low score over the four rounds? Phil v Tiger? You fancy it?
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:38
talk sport tipster

Lool, yes m8 would love that bet.....£5 who finishes higher.

Should be a great four days golf.

The thing with Tiger is that its never quite the same when hes not in contention for a major....always gives us tv watching golf fans value when hes up there win or lose.
Old June 11th, 2008, 16:37
Dedicated Punter

Garcia has a new putting coach, within weeks of starting working with him he won a very big competition, admittedly without Tiger. He was always near the top of the field and his putting held up under pressure. He now has had another couple of weeks practice. He hardly missed a fairway or green over 4 days, leading the %'s in both I believe.

Last edited by Part-Timer; June 11th, 2008 at 17:00.
Old June 11th, 2008, 17:47
talk sport tipster

Default Part Timer..............

This was the thread for the TPC that Garcia won....

Tony2005
talk sport tipster Join Date: Aug 2007

Heres my thoughts..............

Firstly this is one of my favs as anything can happen over the last few holes so if your up there on the last day you always have a chance.

Looking at the field its very open now Tiger isnt playing. For my sort of bets i prefer Tiger in as he keeps the prices a bit tighter and good for laying later in the tournie.

Well after a study i have five against the field at Laddies prices (although i will bet with the exchanges as you could get 10 or more points over Laddies).

STUART CINK...(20/1) Has been playing some consistant golf over the last few weeks 7 top ten finishes in his last 10 starts. Not the greatest of winners but i think he could be right there come Sunday afternoon on a course that rewards consistancy ahead of flair.

SERGIO GARCIA...(40/1) Been right off his game over the last 18 months but i think hes starting to get his game together again and with the help of his girlfriends father (Greg Norman) i think his putting is beginning to get somewhere near to what it was when he was winning consistantly.

SCOTT VERPLANK,,,(100/1) A player who has promised so much and has been right in contention at the big ones but has failed to deliver. He has always played well here and i think that this course provides his best chance to win big

STEPHEN AMES...(80/1) Overpriced as usual for a golfer who when he gets on a roll is as good as most of the top 10 (Tiger being the exception). I have backed him a few times and although he has never won for me has always given me a good run and i have been able to lay him off for a profit

HENDRIK STENSON...(40/1) Not a player i back very often but hes the man in form and if you take away his early departure from this years WGC matchplay his last events read...17th 3rd 6th 2nd 2nd and i think hes going to be my main bet in this and i hope his good form can continue on a course that suits his game and one where he has played well before.

Lets hope we get a good run for our money......good luck guys and enjoy..

We can keep up todate on this thread.

Old June 11th, 2008, 22:13
Dedicated Punter

This was posted before I joined, first time I have read it mate. Garcia leads the stats for distance and accuracy in driving, if his putting holds up @20/1 must be a good bet. Hope so, my moneys down
Old June 11th, 2008, 22:16
talk sport tipster

Good luck, should be a good tournement....ive always liked Garcia but my concern is that his putting wont hold up on what will be lightening quick greens.

If it does then he is a major contender..
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:33
talk sport tipster

Default My Bets............

I have taken onboard everything that has been said and i have backed the following players..

HARRINGTON..(26/1)

PAREZ..(200/1) E/W

ELS..... (58/1)

HOLMES..(190/1) E/W

WOODS...(4.80)

APPELBEY..(92/1)

WEEKLEY...(101/1) E/W

GARCIA.....(22/1)

Good luck guys......
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:52
Dedicated Punter

Heres mine,

Garcia win @ 22.0 ( now 20.0)

Garcia top 10 @ 3.3 ( now 2.9)

M. Campbell to make cut @ 4.0

C. Parry to make cut @ 3.25

Montie top 10 @ 19.0 ( heart more than head )

Any others had a bet?

Last edited by Part-Timer; June 12th, 2008 at 09:58.
Old June 12th, 2008, 14:10
talk sport tipster

i used to back Monty all the time hoping that one day he would come good in a major...the only time i won monet was when i laid him 1.08 on betdaq when he stood over his second shot to the 18th in the US Open a couple of years ago....

Even though ive given up backing him i would love to see him lift one of these....although i think his best chances have long gone.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:42
Dedicated Punter

Absolutely awesome watching this yesterday....loved it.

Mickleson 1 shot up over Tiger after Round 1 in the Shark v Tony side bet...thats nothing at all though on this course - around the 12th/13th hole Tiger was 4 up on Lefty!! Great to see Tiger back though and he seems in very decent fettle....wouldnt be surprised to see him come through over the weekend.

Excellent starts by my other tips - Villegas, Weekley and Appleby all within 5 shots of the lead and Appleby only 1 off it. If they can all shoot anywhere close to level par in Round 2 they will be in superb position for the weekend. Come on boys...keep it going.