17:51
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > A Chequered View
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Manchester United

Old February 8th, 2016, 16:22
Punter

Default Manchester United

After a huge hype and some exciting signings, Louis Van Gaal's tenure at Manchester United has been nothing short of disappointing. So where do the Red Devil's go from here? If Ed Woodward and the other directors had any sense they would focus on bringing success back to Old Trafford, and to do that they need to sack Louis Van Gaal and thoroughly scout players to make sure they are a fit for the Premier League.
Personally, I would not choose Jose Mourinho. This is due to the Special One not staying at one club for more than three years at a time. I think United need someone who can stabilize them and bring that success back to the Theatre of Dreams. In my eyes Diego Simeone should be the man for the job. Simeone has been at Athletico Madrid since 2011 and in that time he has brought five trophies to the Vicente Calderon including one League title and a Europa League. Diego Simeone also has a record of dealing with little money and turning players into superstars. One example would be managing Diego Costa, the Argentine managed Costa's temperament and brought out a talent that could walk into most sides across the world.
Manchester United also have to look at their Scouting Pool and make some changes. United have spent close to £90 Million on two players that never lived up to expectations. One being Angel Di Maria who signed for £59 million in the summer of 2014 and left after one season. Another player being Memphis Depay who signed for nearly £30 million and currently warms the bench. United need to look at players who have either proven to have been successful in the Premier League or they need to find players who are a perfect fit. Maybe they should take a page out of Manchester City's book, because if they want to spend big then they should at least make it money well spent. Players like Sergio Aguero and David Silva have been huge successes for Manchester City despite not playing in England before they signed. In the past few years Manchester City have outshone United in the Transfer Market and its not like the Red Devil's don't have the money to compete with them either.
Manchester United have a huge reputation of success and that is currently being ripped apart. Something has to change to keep that fear of going to Old Trafford and to become a force in Europe once again.
Old February 8th, 2016, 16:51
talk sport tipster

Fergie was always a manager that would be impossible to follow after all his success.

Bringing in Moyes wasnt the worst idea but any manager who they brought in would need time and Manchester Uniteds board didnt have the patience to keep faith with him and i think that was their first mistake.

Van Gaul didnt come to Old Trafford off the back of great success the Dutch team was pathetic at the world cup and he never looked to have a B plan when things went wrong and that has carried on this season at OT.

I dont know what their buying policy is now but im sure in Fergies day it was him who had the biggest say on transfers.

But i dont think they are that far away from being a decent team again and i would leave Van Gaul there as i dont see what Jose could bring long term and Simeone doesnt speak any English so that could be a problem and one that Chelsea have seen already and moved away from getting his services.
Old February 8th, 2016, 17:06
Punter

Totally agree that Fergie would be a very tough manager to follow, but there has to be some success after, Moyes was awful in the league but had success in Europe by getting to the Quarter finals. But Louis Van Gaal couldn't compete in a relatively straight forward group for United's standard. There should be at least a little bit of success after Fergie but there has been none and under Van Gaal, it looks like there won't be any for a while.
Simeone would be a great fit in my eyes due to his passion and style of play. For me with the success Pochettino brought Southampton without speaking English shows that the English game has evolved to allow for foreign managers to come in. With time Simeone would be able to learn the language just like Pochettino did.
United have been sub-standard for the past three years which for their calibre is very unacceptable.
Old February 8th, 2016, 17:10
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Nice 'blog' Chris

My opinion is that Jose will want to stay in London where he and his family want to live

As for Man Utd, it'll be a few years yet before they can be a force the same as in the past.

The big issue these days for fans of all 'Premier League' clubs is the price of season tickets, it's disgusting ! (just saying)
Old February 8th, 2016, 17:54
Dedicated Punter

If you'd said in the eighties what would happen to Liverpool over the last 25 years no one would have believed you. Man Utd became the force they did because they had more money then any other team. That doesn't apply now and I think their supporters should accept that no matter who is in charge they won't dominate the Premier League as they did before.
Old February 8th, 2016, 17:55
talk sport tipster

We all know its sport that makes the money.....

Look at Sky if you dont want their sports package its about £19 a month if you do then its £50

Sky has wrecked football by paying to much to get in when there were no other interested parties.

Now they have upped their payments by millions and ALL premier league clubs will benefit but will they ?

Greedy agents and players will take the vast amount of it in contract negotiations and the supporters will have to keep paying stupid prices week in week out to mainly watch over paid foreigners raping the British game.

We have great youth policies here with plenty of home grown talent who in reality have NO chance of playing top flight football because most of our top clubs now are trying to buy instant success and cant wait for youth to progress through the ranks.

The last club to really do that was United and look at the success they had for the next 15 years ...