Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football

Brighton 2-2 Stoke:

Old November 20th, 2017, 22:39
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Brighton 2-2 Stoke:

Brighton 2-2 Stoke:

Jose Izquierdo snatches point for Brighton as they twice come from behind (November 20 2017)

Jose Izquierdo snatched a point for Brighton as they twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Stoke.

The Seagulls' club record signing struck after an hour to extend their unbeaten run to five matches.

Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting had fired Stoke, looking to climb into the top 10 with a win, into an early lead.

Then a frantic two minutes before the interval saw Brighton equalise through Pascal Gross, before Kurt Zouma headed home his first Stoke goal.

But Izquierdo had the final say with his second goal since since his £13million summer switch from Club Brugge to secure a point.

Meanwhile, Peter Crouch made a record 143rd Premier League appearance as a substitute when he came on for Stoke.

Crouch's 73rd-minute introduction took him past ex-Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi's tally, set between 2000 and 2015.

And Crouch has been effective in the role, averaging a goal every 162 minutes compared to every 271 minutes as a starter.

Match reaction

Brighton striker Glenn Murray on his side's home form: "We seem to be better away from home at the moment which we need to sort out, but points on the board, that's what we need. It felt very open, it was an enjoyable game to play in, we're just disappointed we didn't clinch it. We showed great character, we've got to be happy with it. (We're) disappointed to concede as soon as we equalised the first one, but all-in-all we're happy with a point."

Stoke skipper Ryan Shawcross: "It was a bit end-to-end, probably not what we wanted as the away team but there were bits of quality in there from both teams. A point away from home for us is brilliant so we'll take that, move on and pick up some points over the next couple of weeks."

On a first half-penalty incident involving Murray: "I think I clipped him, the ref's probably not got the best of angles but it probably was a penalty if you look back at it."

Brighton manager Chris Hughton's view of the penalty claim: "From where we were in the dugout, we had a very good view of it, straight away I thought it was a penalty. We're really, really disappointed with that. We have two officials that can make a judgement on that, and if a referee doesn't see it, then when you have a linesman that's on that side, it makes it a tougher one to take."

Of his side's dispay: "We have to be realistic, we weren't at our best, we made errors for the goals, but these things will happen against good teams. Credit to the players, you had a Stoke team who at times were very happy to defend their own half. We learned a bit today against a good, solid, manly team. We are learning."

Stoke manager Mark Hughes: ""My initial reaction is tinged with disappointment. Any away point gained is a good result usually, but having got into a winning position twice that's where the disappointment lies. The goals were avoidable, I didn't feel Brighton created anything of real significance. We'll take a point but maybe with a slight hint of disappointment as well."