Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sam Alladyce - Not worried

Old January 29th, 2015, 15:32
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Allardyce angry with Senegal FA .. January 29 2015

Sam Allardyce is certain Diafra Sakho will not be banned from turning out for West Ham and has aimed a shot at the Senegalese Football Federation for its handling of Cheikhou Kouyate.

Tensions between the Hammers and Senegal have been strained in recent months and culminated earlier this week when the national coach Alain Giresse questioned why Sakho was fit enough to turn out against Bristol City when he had been ruled out of the African Nations Cup through injury.

The 25-year-old had been struggling with a back problem but came off the bench to score the only goal in West Ham's FA Cup fourth-round win in Bristol, while Giresse's side were knocked out of the African tournament with defeat against Algeria on Tuesday.

Sakho received criticism from fans on Twitter and Giresse was bullish when questioned but Allardyce, who revealed after the game at Ashton Gate that the player had travelled by limousine rather than flying with the rest of the squad, has again defended the decision to play his top goalscorer.

"I'm not worried at all he could be facing a ban whatsoever," he said.

"We've stuck to every rule and regulation in the book by the FA, by FIFA and by UEFA. We have not breached any rules and regulations whatsoever and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed by Senegal's reaction.

"He (Sakho) is coping fine because he has got enough to burn his bridges with, they (Senegal) are falling out with us.

"If anything we should be falling out with them but we are not, we are keeping it at a very professional level, like we always do and like I said we have done everything in the rules to comply with what is happening."

Allardyce also confirmed Sakho will travel to Anfield in the same manner he made the trip to Bristol, but his compatriot Kouyate may not be available for selection against Liverpool following a late return.

The midfielder had linked up with Senegal but Allardyce and West Ham had struggled to contact the former Anderlecht man and arrange his journey home - with Kouyate now expected back later on Thursday.

"The other player that we had available has been difficult to find over the last 48 hours," Allardyce continued.

"We know where he is but we have had trouble finding him. If you speak to other managers in the Premier League, if they are honest like I am they will tell you the same story.

"We are expecting him back today after chasing him down for the last 48 hours. He could play against Liverpool."

The Hammers travel north looking to pick up a Barclays Premier League double over Liverpool having beaten Brendan Rodgers' side 3-1 earlier in the campaign, with any positive result keeping West Ham ahead of their opponents in the table.

Allardyce played down reports linking both Sakho and fellow summer recruit Enner Valencia with a move to London rivals Chelsea and insists he will not be looking to bring in any other forwards during the January transfer window.

"By email, text or phone? How have they sounded us out?," the 60-year-old replied when asked about reported contact from Chelsea.

"The only way it has been sounded out is through the media, certainly not through club to club."

"With us having Andy Carroll, Diafra Sakho, Carlton Cole and Enner Valencia we have more than enough front men to cope with the demand for the rest of the season. In the summer we'll reassess our aims and the squad but for now we're fine with the four options we've got."

Although a new striker may not be on his shopping list, Allardyce again said he would like to complete a move for Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher.

The 30-year-old Scot has been told he can leave Old Trafford on a free transfer and Allardyce remains interested, whilst also confirming a deal is close for Hamilton full-back Stephen Hendrie - although he would not link up with West Ham until the summer.

"It is still a possibility. It's not dead yet, so it still could happen," Allardyce said of a move for Fletcher.

"You have to be patient sometimes. We're not desperate, as we've got several good options in midfield but we want to add to that if we can."
Old January 31st, 2015, 17:58
Derby Winner

Darren Fletcher deal is OFF
Old January 31st, 2015, 19:31
Dedicated Punter

Did his arse fall out
Old January 31st, 2015, 19:47
talk sport tipster

He would have been a typical West Ham player to ......Think they will regret it if it was West Ham that pulled out...
Old February 8th, 2015, 17:06
Derby Winner

Another game thrown away by West Ham after dominating Man Utd

1 - 1
Old February 8th, 2015, 17:08
talk sport tipster

A bit unlucky in the end but at the start i think the Hammers would have taken a point and gone for Sunday lunch....
Old February 9th, 2015, 15:14
Derby Winner

Red face Draw felt like a defeat

Downing: Draw felt like a defeat ..

West Ham will hope to respond from a result which felt like a loss by recording a victory at Southampton.

Midfielder Stewart Downing told whufc.com: "We needed the win to go back above Liverpool, but we didn't lose the game and got a point, so we can go to Southampton and look to win."

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce questioned United's long-ball tactics afterwards as Marouane Fellaini caused havoc, leading to Blind's leveller.

Downing added: "We're frustrated because we thought we were the better team.

"They played a lot more direct than I thought they would, but we dealt with it and it's the only real chance they've had."

Left-back Aaron Cresswell praised Cheikhou Kouyate, the midfielder who was deployed in defence and scored a superb goal to put the Hammers in front.

"I don't think he quite knew what he was doing," said Cresswell, tongue in cheek.

"It was a great finish. He has come into centre-half and he did an excellent job and deserved man of the match."

The late concession did not dent the Hammers' belief too much.

"We are still full of confidence and we know we deserved the full three points over the 90 minutes and it was not to be," Cresswell added.

"We are full of confidence for Southampton on Wednesday and we are looking forward to it."
Old February 13th, 2015, 12:49
Derby Winner

Carroll set for spell on sidelines

Sam Allardyce expects to be without injured Andy Carroll for at least a month after the West Ham boss confirmed the striker has torn a ligament in his knee.

West Ham's Andy Carroll faces yet another injury lay-off after manager Sam Allardyce said the striker could miss up to six weeks with a knee problem.

The 26-year-old was forced off in Wednesday's 0-0 draw at Southampton as the visitors finished the game with only nine men following a red card for goalkeeper Adrian - a decision against which the club have since appealed.

It is the latest in a long line of injury problems for the England international, who has only started 24 Premier League games since making his move to Upton Park permanent in the summer of 2013.

And Allardyce now expects to be without the Hammers' club-record signing for the coming weeks - despite not yet knowing the full extent of the damage to Carroll's knee.

"I think a full diagnosis is yet to come, it will probably be by the end of Friday," Allardyce said when asked about the severity of Carroll's newest setback.

"It is likely to be a few weeks, the medial ligament on the side of his knee has a tear in it from a fairly innocuous collision. He is wearing a brace.

"I would have thought four to six weeks out if we are lucky, depending on Andy's recovery. Some players heal quicker than others. It is a big blow for him and us. It is another blow we have to cope with."

The club had initially thought the problem was the flaring up of a previous knee injury - but Allardyce confirmed that this is a new issue and has said Carroll must remain strong to overcome another spell on the sidelines.

"It is a completely new injury," explained Allardyce.

"We thought it might be a recurrence but we have analysed it, unfortunately it is a new one and looks more serious than the original one.

"It is traumatic when someone is going through a period where you overcome one injury and another occurs. We thought we were there and then (he was injured against) Liverpool and now this one in a short period of time.

"It is very depressing for Andy but he knows the process and he has to be strong to overcome this injury as quickly as possible."

Whilst Carroll will be missing for the FA Cup fifth-round clash at West Brom on Saturday, Allardyce will welcome Mark Noble and captain Kevin Nolan back into his squad for the fixture at the Hawthorns.

During his press conference to preview the West Brom game, Allardyce was handed a copy of the dossier distributed by Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal on Tuesday.

The Dutchman reacted to Allardyce labelling the Red Devils as 'long-ball United' after van Gaal's side scored a last-gasp equaliser at Upton Park last Sunday.

The four-page pamphlet highlighted statistics which van Gaal used to refute suggestions United have reverted into a direct, long-ball team but Allardyce responded nonchalantly when handed the paperwork - refusing to allow the spat to linger.

"I shall have a look when I get the opportunity," he said.

"I don't think there is any point in me going into again. It is what it is, he has made of it what he has made of it, I said what I saw on the day and it has moved on. We have played another game in the Premier League since then and our focus is now on the FA Cup and progressing to the next round."
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:36
Dedicated Punter

He must be concentrating on qualifying for Europe
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:55
Derby Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part-Timer View Post
He must be concentrating on qualifying for Europe