10:15
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

USPGA Championship...

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:45
talk sport tipster

Default USPGA Championship...

Starts this Thursday at the Oakhill Country Club....all four days fully covered on sky sports.

This is the unofficial fifth major and lets put our heads together to see if we can get another winning bet on the golf.

So far this season we have showed good profits on golf bets so lets have your FIVE AGAINST THE FIELD.......

Selections should be posted by Wednesday so we have time to get our bets on.....
Old August 3rd, 2008, 19:56
lee

right where do you start with this great 90th uspga at the well reknown oakland hills the course is reportedly to be 1 of the hardest courses in america i believe it was once quoted as the monster (i'd have to check but think it was ben hogan )
i don't normally have a bet til at least after the 1st round as you can gauge how players are coping better
the course has had a few changes in recent times 1 of the biggest is the par 3 9th hole which has been lenghthened by 38yds to make this a longish 257yds (this by the way would be classed as a par 4 in my book )
the course on a whole has a hell of alot of bunkers flanking fairways and greens
it is a longish course standing at 7395yds par 70
in my eyes the consistant fairway finders and greens in regulation players will be the pace setters this time around so my 5 to watch at this moment (before 1st round ) would be
1) Lee Westwood he is playing so consistantly at the moment and in my eyes he deserves a break (oh and i already got money on him )currently 22-1
2) Robert Allenby he's consistancy at hitting greens in regulation should stand him in good stead 40-1
3)Phil Mickleson he is just starting to hit some form at the right time and should not be taken lightly 15-2
4) my outsider each way bet would be Zach Johnson for no other reason than his accuracy in the driving stakes 55-1
5) and my last this will have to go to Vijay Singh he keeps plugging away season after season and is probably about time he won another big tournament 18-1

all prices from bet365
(by the way i will not be held responsible for anybody who backs any of these unless they win then i want a cut lol)
and besides i will probably change my mind after the 1st round and i'll re evaluate then
Lee
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:26
talk sport tipster

Default Well Lee..............

Your going for the in form players....SINGH has just won the Bridgestone with Westwood second and Big Phil 4th.

Straight long hitting is whats required (thats me out then) and i think this will be well worth watching and im sure we can get the winner between us.

Ian Poulters playing well as are quite a few of the europeans so maybe one or two of them will be right up there in contention.

I will be having a study and will post my five on Wednesday....
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:42
Dedicated Punter

I will post my selections up over the next day or so...
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:33
Dedicated Punter

Default Last Chance Saloon..

Had a very mixed bag of results so far with my Major Golf predictions so far...a few nice returns, some very close calls and good runs for my money, and some absolutely atrocious performances - heres hoping the last Major will see a much better return.

My three mainstays on the US Tour, whom I have followed religiously, Villegas, Mahan and Weekley, all have possibles against their names, but IMO have not yet shown the consistency you really need to be a Major winner - that said, I will however be keeping a vested interest in Hunter Mahan, purely because he needs to let some action back up his words recently about the Ryder Cup, and also in US Tours he has played very well. Its also worth noting his second round at Birkdale was level par, and his style of play could very well suit the Oakland Hills course.

Bally's inadvertent bet on Lee Westwood may yet pay dividends, but im gonna leave him alone and my main European pick will be Robert Karlsson . Karlsson has been awesomely consistent this season, has performed very well in the Majors to date, and shows no signs of slowing down. Very straight, high in the list of GIR's and at 66/1 looks great value.

My next selection is Stephen Ames. Ames has been fairly quiet this season but has made the cut in all Majors so far, and played very well at the recent WGC event, though never threatened the leaders. Hopeful of a very big week.

4th up is a bit out there, as he has no real form to point to, other than a succession of made cuts. But he is a past USPGA winner, has experience round this course having been part of the US Ryder Cup team that played there, and also needs a big finish to give himself a shot of being part of this years Ryder Cup. That man is David Toms. Toms is usually arrow straight and excellent from tee to green. A cold putter normally is Toms weakness that means he posts consistent scores around par, -1, which so easily could be mid 60's rounds. I just have a snakey one for Toms, under the "good run for your money" umbrella.

My last pick is Bart Bryant. Again, another relative unknown, but he is sixth in accuracy off the tees and high up in the GIR's category. This will stand him in fine stead around Oakland Hills, and its also worth noting Bryant has performed very well in his last three Majors. Definitely worth a shout against bigger names.

My bets therefore will be :

2pts e/w Hunter Mahan 40/1
2pts e/w Robert Karlsson 66/1
2pts e/w Stephen Ames 80/1
1pt e/w David Toms 125/1
1pt e/w Bart Bryant 200/1

Good luck all, should be a great finale to the golfing season - until the Ryder Cup anyway!
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:32
talk sport tipster

Default Superb write up..........

Mark... Yes Hunter Mahon is a player i have been following too. Has been playing really well without quite winning but has the game to take a major if everything falls into place.

Im going to have a little study this morning so will post my selections later...
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:58
Dedicated Punter

Here are my 5 against the field, picking them on previous USPGA form, not necessarily on current form.
Ernie Els 3 top 10's in last 5 years, 16th in other and missed a year through injury trading @ 30
Adam Scott, 2 top 10's in last 4 years and 12th last year. Trading @ 38.
Geoff Ogilvy, top 10 last 3 years trading @ 44
KJ Choi again, top 10 twice last 4 years and 12th last year. Trading @ 50.
Woody Austin, 2nd last year and made the cut previous 5 years. Trading @ 210

Good luck all
Old August 6th, 2008, 14:25
talk sport tipster

Default This should be a good one..

12/1 the field.....thats how open this major is. Some of the more fancied players come here in very good form but this is a monster of a course with driving accuracy being the main thing players need here.
Not one of the top four in the betting feature in the top 100 on driving accuracy so that has to be taken into consideration when selecting your choices.
Darren Clarke came back to form last week but he wouldnt be for me till showing a little more. Paul Casey in my opinion is a much better match play player then he is a strokeplayer. Lee Westwood has been knocking on the door but i fear his putting will let him down here and that also applies to Sergio who although great from the tee is let down by some terrible putting.
Mickelson will have trouble keeping the ball on the fairways and this could be his downfall and i think the same fate will apply to Singh
Harrington has had another great year but i think his game was geared to the British open and for that reason hes not one i will be backing..

So who do i think could be taking the final major come Sunday night...?

ERNIE ELS (32/1 BETDAQ)..Is a player this type of course suits and hes slowly coming back into form after a few good finishes. At the price i think hes value compared to some of the more fancied players.

STEWART CINK (46/1 BETDAQ)..A player i have backed all season to no avail but hes number one on the tour in all round stats and his consistancy is second to none. If he can just keep that one average round off his card then im sure he will be in the last couple of groups come Sunday.

HENDRIK STENSON (50/1 BETDAQ)..Could be one of the forgotton players here..top 15 on the tour in scoring averages hes a player who has a major in him and this one in my opinion is his best bet. Has been there in two of the majors this season but in both fell away chasing down the leaders. If he can get an advantage going into the final round he will be very hard to peg back.

CHAD CAMPBELL (70/1 BETDAQ)..Heres a player who has been around the top 20 for a few years now and is 2nd in total stats this season and comes here playing the best golf hes played for a number of seasons. Very accurate of the tee and one of the best greens in regulation players on tour. These are the atributes that are needed to win round here..A very good e/w bet .......

STEVE FLESCH (500/1 BETDAQ)..WHO...? i hear you ask...Well hes been playing well over the last few weeks and this is the major hes had the most succsess in over the last few years.A very underated player who i think could suprise a few this week and make the top 6 for a massive e/w payout..

This is sure to be exciting and hopefully between us we will have a few runners come Sunday afternoon......GOOD LUCK GUYS...
Old August 6th, 2008, 17:01
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default I'll Stick with

Jim Furyk..e/w around 25/1

oh must tell ya this................DEAD MAN WALKING

The room was full of pregnant women, with their partners. The Lamaze Class
was in full swing. The instructor was teaching the women how to breathe
properly, and was telling the men how to give the necessary assurances to
their partners at this stage of the pregnancy.

She said: "Ladies, remember that exercise is GOOD for you. Walking is
especially beneficial. It strengthens the pelvic muscles and will make
delivery that much easier!" She looked at the men in the room. "And
gentlemen, remember. You're in this together. It wouldn't hurt you
to go walking with your partner."

The room suddenly got very quiet as the men absorbed this information.

Then a man at the back of the room slowly raised his hand.
"Yes?" answered the teacher.

"I was just wondering,"the man said.

"Is it all right if she carries a golf bag while we walk?"

glk benny
Old August 6th, 2008, 17:03
talk sport tipster

loooooooool, u cant even get rid of them for a few hours golfing...