Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

'Frankie and Johnny' are lovers ..It's Their Derby

Old June 7th, 2015, 10:29
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Talking 'Frankie and Johnny' are lovers ..It's Their Derby

Golden Horn banished any fears over his supposed stamina limitations after storming to a roof-raising victory in the Investec Derby at Epsom.

In stark contrast to the near-muted response that greeted surprise Oaks winner Qualify 24 hours earlier, wild celebrations were the order of the day as Frankie Dettori delivered the 13-8 favourite with a perfectly-timed run to collar stablemate Jack Hobbs and provide trainer John Gosden with a famous one-two.

Not only did the victory underline the training talents of the Newmarket handler and remind everyone that Dettori is still riding at the top of his game, it vindicated the decision of owner Anthony Oppenheimer to stump up the £75,000 fee to supplement the son of Cape Cross.

As the stalls burst open it was clear the race was going be run at a true pace in order to find any chinks in the armour of the doubtful stayers, with Elm Park and Hans Holbein setting a scorching gallop in the battle for early supremacy.

All the while Dettori was happy to bide his time near the rear of the field, negating any freshness in the impressive Dante winner as he set out to make sure he got the trip.

As the field turned for home there was still plenty to do for the eventual winner, who had just three horses behind as Hans Holbein looked to kick from the front and steal a race-winning advantage.

The move was not to work, though, as Jack Hobbs loomed large approaching the two-furlong pole in the hands of William Buick.

But within a matter of strides the son of Halling, running in the blue silks of Godolphin following his recent purchase, was joined by Golden Horn with Dettori now in full flow aboard the market leader.

After hitting the furlong pole together, Dettori forced his mount into an advantage he was not to surrender.

Continuing to pour it on from the front, the pair eventually crossed the line three and a half lengths to the good of Jack Hobbs, with the William Haggas-trained Storm The Stars a further four and a half lengths adrift in third.

It marked a victory that saw Gosden claim a second Derby win following the triumph of Benny The Dip in 1997 and become the first trainer since 2002 to saddle the first and second home.

Gosden said: "He was pretty keen in the first furlong and I thought that I maybe had him a touch fresh.

"Frankie did a lovely job. He just put him to sleep, being the old head he is. When the others went to make it a true test he didn't panic. I said to him 'don't press the button until you are inside the last two furlongs'.

"These things are made to look simple and it could have been a complete mess if he'd gone too soon or let him roll up there with the pace, but he did it all right.

"William said in the Dante that Golden Horn hit the line strong. I think that is a key factor. Another key factor is that, like his sire Cape Cross, he is a very laid back and relaxed horse.

"We talked after York about supplementing him and then we talked on the phone, but Mr Oppenheimer had already made his mind up so I didn't have to persuade him.

"Golden Horn is in the Eclipse, so we'll talk about that again - if he is in good form and he's OK after this race, then that would be a target for him."

Frankie Dettori, winning jockey "We've won the Derby! I can't believe it. John has won it without me and I've won it without him and, finally, 20 years later, we're back together and we've done it together."

While the victory was not a first for Dettori after Authorized for Peter Chapple-Hyam in 2007, it was one that in many ways meant much more to the popular Italian, coming in what has been a resurgent season and for an old ally in Gosden.

Dettori said: "The horse wanted to run for me today so, for the first two or three furlongs we had a slight argument and that's why I took him back a bit.

"I was convinced he would stay, but everything that everyone was saying started to play with my mind a bit.

"He hit a flat spot but when I gave him a crack he took off and when I got upsides Jack Hobbs I knew that I had won. I then went numb the last few yards, I was in shock and disbelief that I was going to win the Derby.

"John and myself go back 20 years. I was meant to ride Benny The Dip, then I won it with Authorized and finally we've done it together. John has been very constructive in my career, as a friend and like a father figure, but now we are good mates."

Achieving a life-long dream, Oppenheimer said: "Once he won the Dante, I didn't take too much persuading to supplement him for Epsom. It's a bit of a no-brainer to go for the best race in the world. I had total confidence in the trainer and the jockey.

"It's quite brilliant. This is the race you want to win. It is something that both my father and myself have aspired to do."

While Jack Hobbs had to settle for second best, Gosden stressed compensation could await in the Irish equivalent with it put forward as a possible target.

Gosden said: "I am beyond delighted with Jack Hobbs. I thought William gave him a gorgeous ride.

"He kept him back, managed to get him on the correct leg going down the hill, which is fundamental, and gave him a chance to get balanced down the road.

"He picked up sweetly and it was nearly a winning run. Jack Hobbs has gone via an unconventional route, but I did supplement him for the Irish Derby and I would like to go to the Curragh."

As for third hone Storm The Stars, he could now be stepped up in trip and put his credentials on the line for a shot at the St Leger.

Haggas said: "It was a great run and I am very pleased with it. He has come on again and run a great race. I was thrilled.

"He got beaten by two horses that were quicker than him.

"You would have to say he would go down the St Leger route. If we look after this horse he is going to get better and better."

Below - Frankie Dettori and John Gosden embrace after winning the Epsom Derby
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:47
Derby Winner

Default Golden Horn heads to 'Eclipse' next..

Gosden focuses on Eclipse for Horn . (June 7 2015)

Impressive Investec Derby winner Golden Horn will aim to extend his unbeaten record in the Coral-Eclipse at Sandown on July 4.

Despite the Cape Cross colt quashing all doubts about his stamina at Epsom, he will revert to 10 furlongs next month.

Stablemate Jack Hobbs chased him home, as he had in the Dante Stakes at York, and he will stay at a mile and a half for the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby at the Curragh on June 27.

"He's in the Eclipse, he's not in the Irish Derby, it was something we discussed at the supplementary stage that we wouldn't put him in," said Gosden.

"The Eclipse in July looks like the direction we'll go and then possibly on to York for the Juddmonte (International).

"He's come out of the race well and it is fair to say the Eclipse is uppermost in my mind.

"For Jack Hobbs he'll run in the Irish Derby and then we'll give him a holiday as he's a big, rangy horse that will make a nice four- and five-year-old - as you could see in his frame yesterday, he's not yet fully furnished."
Old June 7th, 2015, 17:12
Derby Winner

Dettori: My biggest thrill

Frankie Dettori says he is still struggling to come to terms with his Derby win yesterday after he clinched victory on Golden Horn.

Dettori won the Epsom classic on Authorized in 2007 but his career has been through plenty of troughs since, and victory on John Gosden's striking colt was his first in a British classic since Blue Bunting's 1000 Guineas win in 2011.

He was not given much of a chance to celebrate on Saturday, as he went on to ride at Lingfield where he picked up another winner, but Dettori enjoyed a party in Newmarket later in the evening and reflected further on Sunday morning.

Speaking to Sky Sports News HQ reporter David Craig, Dettori said: "I was telling my dad last night that in my 28 years in racing, that was the biggest thrill I ever had. He’s a great horse and it’s the best race in the world to win.

"Basically after that I was more or less dragged off the horse for press interviews, then I had a drink with The Queen and was whisked off to Lingfield for a winner there.

"I came home to a mad house with friends and family, and we had our celebrations. I’ll be honest, I didn’t have a chance to look at the race so I am looking forward to putting my feet up and let it all sink in – I still can’t believe it."

Dettori has won just about every big race in the world during his glittering career, but his hunger for the sport remains infectious even though he admits his retirement might not be too far away.

He added: "I’ve probably got five years left of my career so the years are running out. The Derby is a one-off, just once a year like the Monaco Grand Prix, Wimbledon or an FA Cup final, so you don’t get three or four goes a year.

"For that race you need a special horse and you also have got to do the right thing, and they all came together on Saturday for a fantastic day. Emotionally I was thrilled and I cannot put into words what I was feeling.

"I’ve had a great start to the season, I’m riding well but to think you are going to win the Derby is unthinkable. When it does happen, you've got no words to say how happy you are. It’s 280 years of racing history, it is the race everybody wants to win and I’ve done it – I’m just going to enjoy it now."

Dettori has been through plenty in the last five years, at one time looking set to hang up his saddle when he was banned for six months for taking a prohibited substance.

But he has enjoyed something of a career rebirth, partly thanks to his association as retained rider for Al Shaqab Racing, although it was in the black and white silks of Anthony Oppenheimer that he celebrated Epsom victory on Saturday.

And he feels more able to enjoy big-race victories now he is one of the veteran jockeys in the weighing room, having possibly taken things for granted in his younger years.

"I’ve had a colourful life. Ups and downs, but the last two or three years more downs than ups. This is a massive boost for my confidence and my life, and for my family as well because my kids are old enough to understand. To see the joy in their faces was fantastic," he said.

"I rushed off to Lingfield last night and when I walked into the track I got a standing ovation – I was just like – wow! How great the public has been, it shows the importance of the Derby. Sometimes you forget how racing is such a well followed sport and I really appreciate all the well wishes.

"I was meant to go to Goodwood today but I don’t think I am capable to ride a horse. You get to enjoy it more because you understand the importance of it. When you are young you just carry on.

"When you get the chance to speak to someone like John Terry you realise how important it is to win the Premier League, and it’s like that when you win the Derby.
Old June 7th, 2015, 17:14
Derby Winner

Horn's owner harbours Arc dream .

Golden Horn's owner/breeder Anthony Oppenheimer has revealed he "would love" his brilliant Investec Derby winner to go for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp in October.

Oppenheimer would first like to see Golden Horn show he can go right-handed which would be achieved by running in the Coral-Eclipse at Sandown next month.

So far the Cape Cross colt has run either on straight or left-handed tracks.

"I would certainly be up for the Eclipse. I'd just like to make sure because he would be going the other way round (right-handed) and one or two horses don't like going a different way," Oppenheimer told At The Races.

"We've just got to make sure he's OK leading with the correct foot.

"He's had three races (this season) and we just want to see how he handles a couple more races before we decide on anything else.

"I'd love to run him in the Arc.

"There might be a Champion Stakes I'd be interested in, more probably the English one (at Ascot), and maybe the race at York (the Juddmonte International).

"I want to make sure he goes the other way round and he wouldn't want to run on soft to heavy ground. He'd just hate it. There's an awful lot to think about.

"You must take each race as it goes. He showed a touch of temperament at the beginning of the Derby which surprised us because he's a very sleepy horse. Frankie (Dettori) was brilliant at settling him down.

"The Derby got to him with the crowds and everything and we want to make sure that doesn't happen again."

When Golden Horn's racing days are over, Oppenheimer's aim is to stand the son of Cape Cross at stud in the UK.

"The intention is, at the moment, to stand him somewhere in Newmarket or certainly in England anyway. That is what I would love to see," he said.

"I want to use him and go and see him when I want to. I can't stand him at my stud as it's not big enough.

"My ambition is to stand him for the British breeders rather than anyone else."