11:05
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Racing > Dog Racing

Maybe not the end for Wimbledon

Old April 16th, 2016, 18:07
talk sport tipster

Default Maybe not the end for Wimbledon

Wimbledon: up to two years rolling extension

WIMBLEDON has done a deal with Galliards around a two years rolling contract that would be dependent on the new London Mayor turning down the ambitious AFC development plan that was called in by Boris Johnson.

In any case it has been guaranteed for six months, given there is a six month notice termination clause. This means the William Hill St Leger and RFS Puppy Derby can take place as scheduled in October/November. It might mean next year's Derby is safe too.

Clive Feltham, MD of the GRA, said on Saturday: "We have a done a deal, and it's structured in a way to keep greyhound racing alive as long as is possible - and who knows, it could prove long term if the new Mayor comes out in 'our favour'.

"I'm grateful to both Risk Capital and Galliard Homes who have agreed the extension, and the potential length is encouraging. It has obviously been very stressful for all our trainers and staff, but the loyalty they have shown is incredible. There is real determination to make it work if possible and the support we have had from the greyhound community is tremendous."

However, Feltham warned there was set to be a shortage of dogs. "Some trainers have left, others are on the point of doing so. We are talking to them, and hoping they can stick it out longer. Provisionally, and with Euros football ahead anyway, we plan to race Thursday and Saturdays through to the Derby final, and then just Saturdays after that until September 1.

"Our RPGTV deal on Thursdays ends after the second Thursday in May, but we'd hope to resume from September 1 and then run Thursdays and Saturdays for the duration.

"If the kennel strength picked up, then we could re-introduce Thursdays earlier, maybe partially.

"But the Leger and Puppy Derby will take place this year at Wimbledon, and yes possibly the Derby next year - we will be talking to William Hill about all these plans. I'm also grateful to Paschal Taggart and Diane McLean of the We Want Wimbledon campaign. Their support and vision has been vital, and we just don't know where it might lead."
Old April 17th, 2016, 00:45
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Old April 18th, 2016, 06:22
talk sport tipster

Industry delight at news of Wimbledon reprieve

DIANE McLEAN, the barrister and greyhound owner leading the campaign to save Wimbledon Stadium, on Sunday warmly welcomed news of the agreement to maintain greyhound racing there.

A two-year extension has been agreed between the GRA and site owners Galliards. Either side can give six months’ notice but it means this year’s William Hill Leger and RFS Puppy Derby can go ahead, and possibly the 2017 Derby too.

“It is excellent, it would be far harder were the stadium already gone, and the new mayor is bound to take note that there is an alternative,” she said.

“Paschal [Taggart] intends to formally submit his plan for a new greyhound track the day after the Mayoral election next month, and I think it’s dawning on Galliards that the negatives surrounding the AFC scheme are substantive. It might end up suiting them to do a deal around greyhound racing, and a new stadium. It’s a good option for them to have, and for us would be the dream result.”

Taggart, the Irish businessman whose vision has been a modern super greyhound stadium alongside a site development, remains cautious.

He described the extension: “All very positive, but I do not have any trust in Galliard Homes. I believe the only reason they are continuing greyhound racing in the short term is they do not want the same reaction as happened when they made a big mistake in closing Oxford Stadium.” A Galliard development plan there got left in limbo due to local political opposition.

GBGB chairman Tom Kelly said: “Well done Wimbledon. Another small piece of good news but still an agonising wait for the final verdict [of the new Mayor].”

Keith Hallinan, Wimbledon’s general manager, reported a lot more smiling faces at the track on Saturday night than there have been of late.

“Obviously some staff, previously told of the June 11 and June 18 ‘farewell’ meetings, have been left dizzy by the change of news, so I think it will take a day or so for it to sink in,” he said. “That’s understandable, but it was also mainly positive. The staff love the greyhound business here, and we’re so fortunate to have this type of commitment.”

Hallinan, on whose shoulders making the survival package work now falls, added: “I had a meeting with the trainers and their reaction was fantastic.

“One or two said that with a possible two-year lifeline, they felt fairly positive some owners would now invest in new dogs. Again, the trainers have shown real determination. It’s deeply appreciated.”

Dave Lynn, Hills’ head of sponsorship, said: “This is really positive news. Is it common sense prevailing? Hopefully. We will of course remain committed to the William Hill St Leger this year [at Wimbledon] and the sport generally, underlined by our latest sponsorship at Peterborough [Puppy Derby].

“As regards the Derby, any decision regarding the renewal will be made after this year’s final when we’ve had time to consider all our options.”

Wimbledon’s trainers were also delighted. Bernie Doyle said: “We mustn’t get carried away. Of course it still remains to be seen what the new Mayor says, but you have to say the potential two-year length of the new deal is encouraging.

“It makes me feel all isn’t well with the football project, and of course it was always hugely ambitious for the site, compared to greyhound racing which fits perfectly.

“A couple of months ago we were given a closure date, owners have lived on the edge of uncertainty for seemingly years, but now there is hope you can envisage people sending in dogs again. I think the kennel strength will build.

“I think the Sun’s campaign has also been vital, I’d like to say thank you to Mark Sullivan, who has helped get across the issue to a broader audience.”

June Harvey said: “I’m delighted . . . Boris Johnson will get two hugs from me now! It almost seems hard to believe, but we also all know greyhound racing is far better suited to the land there. Obviously the number of available dogs is an issue, trainers do want to make it work, and the initial scaling down to Saturdays may be sensible.”

Tom Levers, a fellow Wimbledon trainer, added: “It’s great news, and you now have to feel Galliards may have come to realise the AFC scheme isn’t as gilt-edged as it might have initially seemed.

“In any case greyhound racing needs a track in London, and greyhound racing is also an asset for the capital. We’re happy to continue to do our best.”

Richard Rees moves to Hove next month. He said: “Everyone in greyhound racing should and will be delighted at this. I’m looking forward to the fresh challenge Hove offers me, but will be definitely back supporting Wimbledon when it plans to stage opens for RPGTV on Thursdays later in the year.”