Old May 16th, 2008, 18:54
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Unhappy Walthamstow .... The End

Lord Lipsey(bgrb)press Release In Relation to Stow

Dave Smith (essex)
United Kingdom

16 May 2008 19:28

STATEMENT FROM LORD DAVID LIPSEY, CHAIRMAN OF THE BGRB, IN RESPONSE TO TODAY’S ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE DIRECTORS OF WALTHAMSTOW STADIUM
16th MAY 2008

Following today’s news of the forthcoming closure of Walthamstow Greyhound Stadium, Lord David Lipsey Chairman of the British Greyhound Racing Board, said:

“Everyone with an interest in greyhound racing will miss the unique sense of style with which Walthamstow Stadium has hosted greyhound racing. Away from the very centre of London, its famous neon frontage has become one of the capital's most recognised landmarks.

“While no-one who follows events at Walthamstow will be hugely surprised by this very sad news, it is a great pity to lose one of the sport's flagship venues at a time when attendances at other stadia appear to be increasing. This demonstrates the difficulty of making a decent return from greyhound racing on city development sites - and therefore strengthens the need to improve greyhound racing's public appeal and economic success

“I am pleased that the Chandler family have given supporters of the track time to be able to say their 'goodbyes' before locking the gates for the last time.

“BGRB Welfare Officer Peter Laurie and Welfare Committee Chairman John Haynes will be making arrangements to visit the stadium early next week to discuss how the welfare of the dogs will be safeguarded. The BGRB Trainers Assistance Fund keeps a reserve to help in instances of track closure, although we hope that given this period of notice, many will find opportunities to continue training at other tracks.

“My sympathies go out to the owners, trainers and kennel staff connected to the track, to all the staff, the track bookmakers and by no means least of all, the race goers who have helped make greyhound racing at Walthamstow the wonderful experience it is and always has been.”

-------------------------------------------

Sam O'Donoghue
United Kingdom

16 May 2008 19:33

Well thats ok then?
What a waste of time,he should be plugged into the neon sign and left to hang there,the bloke is a disgrace and a self serving prat.

------------------------------------------------

Steven Maguire
Ireland

16 May 2008 19:44

sad day for greyhound racing best track in BRITAIN

-------------------------------------------------

Old May 16th, 2008, 19:04
talk sport tipster

Another bloody supermarket..............wheres dog racing going to be in another 10 years..........?
Old May 16th, 2008, 19:15
Derby Winner

Default hmmm and Reading Closing

In the Autumn......
Old May 16th, 2008, 19:25
talk sport tipster

can u name the big dog tracks that have closed in the last 15 years...
Old May 16th, 2008, 22:10
Dedicated Punter

omg disasterous for dog racing, wimbledon next?
Old May 17th, 2008, 17:33
Dedicated Punter

Wimbledon will not close for a while yet.... devastating news about the stow the countries premier track :(
Old May 18th, 2008, 16:36
Derby Winner

Default Some phone call i've had !!!

Well unconfirmed news is, that Mark Wallis (top trainer at the "Stow") will be going to Oxford.....now that is good news
Mark is a top man and a good poker player, i was with him at last years Grosvenor UKPT in Luton, and a nicer guy you couldn't wish to meet...
If we ( talksportforums.net ) ever get to the stage where we get a racing greyhound, then Mark's the man to train it for us...... Also if you have a moment, type "Mark Wallis" in your seach engine to Mark's web-site, you'll see he's running a very good little competition Any thoughts ? benny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan_glly.jpg (10.8 KB, 0 views)
Old May 18th, 2008, 19:07
Dedicated Punter

mark will NOT go to oxford
Old May 18th, 2008, 21:19
Derby Winner

Default well Matt

You could be right , but i think after the Derby there might be a clearer picture...........heard it from a reliable bookie..
Old May 19th, 2008, 21:52
Derby Winner

Angry ..........

Mark's view on Walthamstow closure, quote "If there was one newsletter I did not want to write then this is the one - the sad news on Friday of the closure by mid August of our beloved Walthamstow. It has left myself, my wife Sarah, and my staff totally devastated. At the moment I'm still trying to take in what has to be a serious blow not just for us and all my loyal owners but for the sport we love as a whole. For the time being I feel real anger at the whole situation but I shall not use our website to voice my opinions right at this moment. I would like to reassure all my owners that the welfare of the greyhounds in our care is of the utmost importance and hope that everyone would bear with us for the time being until the picture becomes more clearer".

"The timing of the above situation couldn't have been worse with the Blue Square Greyhound Derby in full swing but our two remaining entries Commander Chief and Seanis Lad gave us all something to smile about as they superbly progressed into Tuesday's Quarter Finals. Unfortunately Seanis Strike, who had won so well in round two, lost the battle to be fit for the third round after a sprained ligament in the wrist prevented him from taking his chance. Hopefully it won't be a long term injury and this fella will be one of our big race stars for the rest of the year".

updated by BTD