10:07
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The US Open Golf...Forum selections

Old June 16th, 2008, 07:07
Dedicated Punter

All this betting in play...working out who's who and what what....takes all the fun out of the actual event!!!!

Absolutely superb US Open - I would suggest the perfect course set up to truly test the worlds best players.

All due respect to Woods - he hasnt looked comfortable all week but its a testimony to the man that he is still in with a shout of winning, which you'd have to make him heavy favorite to see off the very plucky Mediate, though he has done little wrong and will be a big underdog in name only.

Very unlucky Westwood...a great effort and what could have been - it was there for the winning.

Villegas just couldnt find the birdies when he needed them - a level par round for him today would have seen him finish 4th and mean a very nice payout, but +2 for the round ended him tied 9th - still well happy with the pick though and he definitely looks one to follow in future.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:21
Dedicated Punter

I agree, the golf was incredibly exciting. The betting in play enables you to get yourself in a position to win money, surely the ultimate reason for gambling??
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:25
Dedicated Punter

All depends really....for full time, serious gamblers who depend on profits to live (or hope to anyway) then yes, but for the most part a bet is more for some added value/spice to an event you'd either not normally be watching or watching anyway but having a bit of a vested interest.

I made my selections pre tournament and stuck by them throughout....it would be quite easy to keep picking new players round after round, hole by hole, but im not so caught up in making money from sports i love watching and playing because it takes away the whole enjoyment aspect from it. Just my opinion of course, but i wonder how many bets its taken people to actually make a profit from the US Open, if people have indeed, that have been made differently from original selections???
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:11
Dedicated Punter

I posted my selections the day before the golf started, unfortunately mine were crap, unlike yours. Nothing unusual there, I was looking at £100+ loss. After backing Garcia again @ 95 it enabled me to lay him off after day 2 and have an overall profit. Then in a moment of drunken bravado laid Woods @ 2.36. I have posted how I got out of that and now will make a very small profit however wins. I agree it would be nice to sit and watch your selections doing well from day 1 and not need to do anything about it. Unfortunately I was never in that position
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:40
Dedicated Punter

I didnt win a pip out of my selections mate - close, in the tip of Villegas especially - but whilst all my guys were in the hunt at some point and all made the cut and all threatened to turn my bets into winning ones, none did.

Ultimately, I could have placed saver bets in game on Tiger, Westwood, Karlsson, Els, etc plus all the rest that could have (eventually) made my original stake a no lose or even a small profit - but to me, purely IMO in this instance, it kinda defeated the object. I wasnt gambling on the Open to really make a profit, I was just putting a stake on my selections to give me a bit more excitement in watching them. If they won, or finished top 5, then great, I win some cash as well...but if not, its meh....just a bit of disposable cash gone to whichever bookie i placed the bet with.

Ive never really had the time or inclination to go into these exchanges - i guess im an old fashioned punter - basically my instincts and reading of events against the bookies on the odds he's offering. If im right, i win...if im wrong, he does. I get my betting enjoyment like that, and out of little side bets that I had with Bally and Tony, not just covering all options as that, to me, takes away a lot of the significance of the game/tourney. In reality, I should have gone straight to the exchanges and bet on Woods to beat Mickleson so it was a no lose bet with Tony, but that in a way defeats the object for me, as then i wouldnt have cared less who prevailed out of Lefty and Woods. Same with my bet with Bally...

Each to their own mate - fully respect your involvement and knowledge on the exchanges. Its just not for me, thats all. Not yet anyway!!!
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:57
talk sport tipster

Default Exchanges and betting in running............

Well guys i have to agree with both of you on certain points you have made..
The only sports i really play up the exchanges are Golf and Cricket. The exchanges are great if you can get on something at a big price and manage to get your stake back and have a free bet sometime during play.

Now it all depends of what sort of stake you are putting on in the first place...If im having £10 or £20 on a 7/2 shot like Woods was pre tournie theres no value in laying off as what are you going to get? even laying for the original £20 stake at evens only gives you a return of £50 not really worth doing...

Now i had £120 on Woods at 7/2 and another £30 on at 7.2 after the first hole db on day one....that gave me a total win of £636.00 after my stake...now i laid him at 1.4 for £150 which ment i had my stake back and still won £426 if he won it....so having a free bet on a virtual odds on shot.

I will lay off another £250 today at about 1/2 so giving me a £250 profit he loses and a £299 profit if he wins...

This is FREE money.....i also backed a few players in running hoping that they come in so i can do the same, some worked others didnt....

Take the Footie i backed holland at 15/1 for £60 and laid them off at 5/1 giving me a free 10/1 bet but can still lay off more if they make the final as they will be no bigger then evens....

But like i said its not everyones way of betting and i never lay off on horses as i dont see the value in that.

Anyway Sharky you had a great run with your selections and was a little unlucky at least one didnt return some cash.....ELS hit me a little hard by treble bogying when safely in a e/w position but thats golf and to be honest what great viewing it has been....and dont write off Mediate just yet...i think there could be one more twist in this championship....
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:46
talk sport tipster

Might have a Free link to this tonight for the pc if anyone wants it......i will post it just after 5pm if they are showing it..
Old June 16th, 2008, 13:01
Dedicated Punter

I need to get a fiver to you as well Tony....

I can play you Heads up for $10 some time and lose on purpose (im saying nothing about thats the only way i would lose hehehe!) and pay you in that way? Or if you have a Paypal account or something?

I'll be seeing Bally soon to take his note off him.....-9 indeed....-6 indeed......

On the subject of laying bets off, I wonder if our tired Virgin champ will consider laying off his £20 e/w on Westwood for the USPGA at 35/1???
Old June 16th, 2008, 13:16
talk sport tipster

Default "The Virgin"

.....I think he must have had a few drinks to celebrate his victory in the forum game........before lumping on Westwood in a Major thats weeks away..

Maybe hes nicked the price....

Yes think we said even par or just under....-9 it was never going to be, the last time under par won the US Open was 2002 at Pebble Beech.

Dont worry about the fiver just yet im sure we can sort that out...

Anyway should be a good match today as long as Mediate doesnt think hes beaten before they tee off.....
Old June 16th, 2008, 15:29
lee

Ok ok let the humiliation begin you could of at least let me get home from work 1st here it is i'm sorry my tipping in the us open was absolutey terrible i know nothing about golf and i hope nobody backed my selections there that's the apology out the way