12:28
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

NFL Season 2008/09

Old September 4th, 2008, 12:23
lee

Know what you mean about the weather changed my tee time to 9.20 on sunday then checked the weather and supposed to be severe weather warning for sat and sun
Old September 7th, 2008, 16:24
talk sport tipster

Default Not long now.....

Mark till a night of NFL.....the bets are on and im looking forward to a few good games..

STEELERS - 6.5.........Won 38-17
COWBOYS -6............Won 28-10
COLTS -9.5.............Lost 13/29
EAGLES -9...............Won 38/3

Pays 13/1....

Last edited by Tony2005; September 8th, 2008 at 07:53.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:55
talk sport tipster

Default Great nights viewing....

But of course the late game on sky was the one that let the bet down with the Colts losing 13-29......

They were shocking giving the ball away a few times when in posession...

Good first week effort Sharkey 3 out of 4...
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:17
Dedicated Punter

Yes, great to have the NFL back and was superb action - was very surprised/disappointed with the Colts losing at home, quite comfortably in the end as well, to the Bears, i thought the four timer was looking very safe until their dismal showing.

I will do a full round up of week 1's results, actions, injury updates and a preview of week 2 tomorrow, once the two Monday night games have been played - there were a fair few shock results, and one injury that has rocked the NFL world......
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:07
Dedicated Punter

Default Week 1 Results/Review

WEEK 1 RESULTS

Washington Redskins 7 - 16 New York Giants
Detroit Lions 21 - 34 Atlanta Falcons
Cincinatti Bengals 10 - 17 Baltimore Ravens
Seattle Seahawks 10 - 34 Buffalo Bills
New York Jets 20 -14 Miami Dolphins
Kansas City Chiefs 10 - 17 New England Patriots
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20 - 24 New Orleans Saints
St Louis Rams 3 - 38 Philadelphia Eagles
Houston Texans 17 - 38 Pittsburgh Steelers
Jacksonville Jaguars 10 - 17 Tennessee Titans
Dallas Cowboys 28 - 10 Cleveland Browns
San Diego Chargers 24 - 26 Carolina Panthers
San Francisco 49ers 13 - 23 Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears 29 - 13 Indianapolis Colts
Minnesota Vikings 19 - 24 Green Bay Packers
Denver Broncos 41 - 14 Oakland Raiders

TOP THREE PERFORMANCES OF WEEK

1. Chicago Bears
2. Carolina Panthers
3. Pittsburgh Steelers

WEEK 1 REVIEW

As usual in Week 1, a few eyebrow raising results and a couple of teams having a few question marks placed against them, even at this early stage, whilst a few other teams have question marks taken away from them and replaced with exclamation marks.

The biggest jaw drop of the day though came in New England, where for 10 minutes or so it seemed business as usual for the Patriots....Tom Brady making pass after pass and marching down the field towards the Pats first Touchdown against the helpless Chiefs.....and then disaster. Brady takes a massive hit from one of the Chiefs defensive men and goes down, having to be carried off the field. Brady's backup QB, Matt Cassel, comes in and just about leads the Pats to victory over the Chiefs but the news come through that Brady is now OUT for the season, needing reconstructive surgery on his knee.

The effect this has not just on the Patriots, but on the NFL Superbowl scene as a whole cannot be understated. I have been trying to liken the loss of Brady to a Premiership footballer to give you a parallel...quite simply i cannot do it on a one for one basis. The closest i can get is to like saying Man Utd lose Ronaldo, Rooney and Ferdinand for the whole season 10 mins into their first game. The Pats will still be a force, as would Man U, but severly weakened and impossible to replace him - they do have a relatively soft/easy schedule this season - but it will still be an achievement for them to make the playoffs now.

This really blows the AFC picture wide open, especially for Indianapolis, but they also had a shocker this weekend...losing at home to the very unfancied Bears bad enough, but the Colts also had injury concerns - top RB Joseph Addai being knocked out of the game, and they looked very lethargic and dull throughout the game.

Only the Steelers really showed their class in the AFC this weekend - a comprehensive victory over the Texans with the Texans scoring two late TD's with the Steelers on auto pilot and playing a few reserve players giving the scoreline some respectability. Narrow, though poor, losses for the two other main AFC protagonists, the Jaguars and the Chargers, will soon need to be eradicated, especially after the good showings of the Bills and Broncos. The Jets also had a good win, though the quality of opposition for the Jets and Broncos needs to be considered here.

In the NFC and the Cowboys looked scary good against the Browns. It looked like they could score at will, with Tony Romo having plenty of time to find his excellent receivers, as well as RB Marion Barber pummeling the Browns D on the ground. With the Eagles showing no mercy to the hapless Rams and the Saints prevailing in an epic encounter with a very good Buccs side, and not forgetting the Giants and the Packers wins here either, the Cowboys will need to maintain this level of performance to keep their noses in front in the NFC race. Honourable mentions must go also to the Panthers - they could be a dark horse, the Falcons - very encouraging start and also the Cardinals.

MY CURRENT TOP 5 RANKED TEAMS AFTER WEEK 1

1. Dallas Cowboys - looked impressive on both sides of ball

2. Pittsburgh Steelers - great win, could be the new #1 in the AFC

3. New England Patriots - a win, but at what cost? Time will tell.

4. San Diego Chargers - last second loss hard to take - should bounce back tho

5. Indianapolis Colts - lucky to be still #5 - another poor showing in Week 2 tho and they wont be with plenty of teams snapping at their heels
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:41
Dedicated Punter

Default NFL Regular Season - Week 2

Here are this weeks fixtures and Laddies odds on the games without handicaps - remember Home team is listed second.

Sunday Games

18:00 Oakland Raiders 17/10 Kansas City Chiefs 1/2
18:00 Tennessee Titans 10/11 Cincinnati Bengals 10/11
18:00 Indianapolis Colts 5/6 Minnesota Vikings evens
18:00 New Orleans Saints 10/11 Washington Redskins 10/11
18:00 Green Bay Packers 20/33 Detroit Lions 29/20
18:00 Chicago Bears 13/8 Carolina Panthers 1/2
18:00 New York Giants 2/9 St. Louis Rams 7/2
18:00 Buffalo Bills 2/1 Jacksonville Jaguars 5/12
21:05 Atlanta Falcons 27/10 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5/17
21:05 San Francisco 49ers 27/10 Seattle Seahawks 5/17
21:15 Miami Dolphins 23/10 Arizona Cardinals 5/14
21:15 New England Patriots evens New York Jets 5/6
21:15 Baltimore Ravens 9/5 Houston Texans 5/11
21:15 San Diego Chargers 20/23 Denver Broncos 20/21

Monday Night Games

01:15 Pittsburgh Steelers 5/14 Cleveland Browns 23/10
01:35 Philadelphia Eagles 5/2 Dallas Cowboys 1/3

What we should be looking for here are the hot teams with an attractive matchup, as well as the teams who we expect to be doing well at the business end of the season to come back strong from Week 1 losses or poor performances.

First one you would suggest would be Jacksonville at home to Buffalo, but the manner of the Bills win, coupled with the way the Jaguars struggled on offense screams to leave this one alone - the Jags are pretty banged up currently after getting pounded by the Titans and need to be watched only at the moment.

Next up though is the Chargers - San Diego suffered a last second loss to the Panthers in week 1 that 95% of the time they would have won, and more importantly QB Philip Rivers showed some consistency and range meaning they wont be reliant on LaDanian Tomlinson and their explosive defence. They are away in Denver, and whilst the Broncos had a great week 1 win, it was against the shockingly poor Raiders. San Diego will know if they lose this game they will already be 2 games behind the Broncos in their division, and whilst the Broncos will be their main competition and fired up for it, the Bolts will be too strong and equal up their record. At pretty much evens i dont think you can argue.

Indianapolis have a hard game away at Minnesota, who again will be anxious not to lose their first 2 games with so much expected from them. But the same can be said for the Colts - they will need their offense to click though and last week it simply didnt. The Vikings are strong defensively and this one is too close to call - leave it be.

My next selection is very difficult to say, because i have to say that I fancy the New Orleans Saints to beat my Washington Redskins, especially at 10/11. Although the Saints have lost their #1 WR this week to injury for 6 weeks, i fear they will still have far too many offensive weapons for the Skins, who themselves will struggle to put points on the board. Unless Washington can find their passing game and quickly, and be able to bully Drew Brees (the Saints QB) when on defense, it could get very messy. Only home field advantage for the Skins, outdoors on grass, and my unshaking adulation for Washington stops me from napping the Saints here....but i cant ignore them either.

I cant remember the last time the Patriots have been EVS for a game without a handicap start for their opposition....if the injury hadnt happened to Brady they would be about a 1/6 shot away at the NY Jets - but such is the impact of Brady's loss that the Jets are now favourites, albeit very slight, to win the game off level. The Jets won last week against the poorly Dolphins, but this is all about how New England will perform without Brady. Everything is still there but him....can Matt Cassel keep them going though? The truth is no one knows - one thing is for sure the Pats will run the ball more which will slow their offense down and keep the opposition in the game for longer. This will be very much a litmus paper test for the Pats and one to note for future reference against a team that they would normally beat out of sight even with Brett Favre. If the Pats win, even narrowly, we can tip them with confidence in future. A loss though, and we may find alot of value in their opposition in future weeks.

Cannot see anything but a win for the Giants and the Cowpats, though they wont have it as easy against the Eagles as they did against the Browns, and will be nice little fillips for the coupon, whilst Pittsburgh should do something similar to Cleveland as Dallas did.

MY WEEK 2 SELECTIONS

3pts accumulator on :

San Diego WIN @ 20/23
New Orleans WIN @ 10/11
Pittsburgh WIN @ 5/14
N Y Giants WIN @ 2/9
Dallas WIN @ 1/3

Good luck...and this week if one result lets me down...PLEASE let it be the New Orleans game............
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:55
talk sport tipster

Default Well we were so close last weekend...

So hopefully we can go one better this week...

Really enjoyed the first games shown on tv (except the one that let us down)

There are some crackers on this weekend and also i think The Browns might start to show some form even though they have a toughie against the Steelers..

Old September 15th, 2008, 12:56
Dedicated Punter

Looks like its gonna be one of them season....

San Diego lose AGAIN in the last second and last play of the game.

New Orleans beating Washington with 6/7 minutes left to go till Jason Campbell suddenly finds form from nowhere and leads the Skins on two TD drives, including a 70 yard bomb to Santana Moss that has one house in Burton on Trent rocking with delight....who cares about the betting slip after that!

Pittsburgh and NY Giants win as expected, Dallas play tonight.

The last weekend that both Derby County and Washington won......probably the mid 80's......definitely seems that long ago!!!!!!!
Old September 15th, 2008, 13:16
talk sport tipster

The last weekend that both Derby County and Washington won......probably the mid 80's......definitely seems that long ago!!!!!!!

Yes but Washington have been winning most weekends....

Another near week again...but i think when we hit we will go on a nice little run of taking the bookies for some cash.....

Lets just call it borrowed money at the moment.....
Old September 15th, 2008, 14:56
Dedicated Punter

Default Ha Ha Ha Tony...

If only that were true...its been pretty lean in Washington over recent seasons...last years playoffs were as much a surprise as Derby's promotion the season before...before that they were both about as bad as each other!

But Washington are competative and if Derby's performances continue as they were on Saturday, the future is looking nice and bright...well, brighter than pitch black anyway!!!

Will do my usual roundup of week 2 tomorrow once the Cowpats/Eagles game has been played out. Definite hard luck story though from the bet of Week 2.