Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Racing > Dog Racing
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Eye Onthe Storm crashes out of the Derby

Old April 30th, 2010, 12:52
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Eye Onthe Storm crashes out of the Derby

Friday is the second day of the first round heats for the 2010 Greyhound Derby which now takes on a completely different light after the disaster for ante-post favourite Eye Onthe Storm, who appeared to break down at the third bend when holding a qualifying position. The race continued to stunned silence.
Irish Laurels hero Sevenheads Bay, after mastering Barnfield Rocky, had taken a lead down the back, but was picked up by Fraser Black's Krug Ninety Five (8-1, 28.72sec) on the run in with Barnfield Rocky third.

So the value is still there for 'Freedom Emma' who runs (10 30 Saturday), with nearly all Firms still laying 100/1 with the exception of SkyBet 66/1 ..
I really dont know why Skybet bother with this type of betting, virtually every dog (bar one) they come out so much under priced, and in a lot of cases HALF the price that other firms offer ...
My other ante post bet now for this race is DALCASH SCOLARI - (10 00 Saturday) generally on offer at 50/1, but SkyBet as expected only 40/1 (joke) ..

I'm hoping 'Eye Onthe Storm' injury is not as bad as feared and he makes a full recovery, I know Mark and the kennel staff will be devastated by what happened last night....

benny
Old April 30th, 2010, 14:33
talk sport tipster

Tipoki's stunning clock, Eye Onthe Storm is out

Heat 1

Eye Eye Pickle

Swift Planet

Lenson Bolt

Eye Eye Pickle made all, flying out, moving wide early and was never threatened at any stage. Swift Planet held second throughout. Lenson Bolt looked in danger of elimination after being baulked wide at the first bend by the running off Deanridge Flash, but battled on up the run in to sneak through. The time of 28.48sec was called as a new track record from the new side.

Heat 2

Westmead Bond

Deanridge Imp

Slick Robert

It was a similar race in heat two with Westmead Bond pinging to make all. His time of 28.38sec was also termed the new track record. Deanridge Imp was second up, but never threatened the winner. Slick Robert, who caused a delay to the race when it was discovered he was wearing a jacket with a Paddy Power logo and this had to be removed, may have been done few favours by the fuss. He was crowded on the run up, first and third but managed to qualify.

Heat 3

Loyal Rebel

Faypoint Man

Blonde Banjo

This was again trap to line – by Loyal Rebel. However he was bustled up by odds on Faypoint Man, who has started slowly and then moved off at the bend and crowded with Borna Payment. He came with a strong run but was held by threeparts of a length in 28.61sec. Blonde Banjo was second to half-way, and took third.

Heat 4

Archaton Pine

Tranqui Time

(only first two qualify)

A messy heat (all unseeded) with Archaton Pine showing the best pace up from six and cutting the bend. The field all bunched early with Tranquil Time emerging second, and favourite Droppys Bradley, who started slowly, sufferingthe heartbreak of going out in third place as there were only two qualifiers

Heat 5

Bubby Totti

Bosscroker

(only first two qualify)

At last, a race won off the back, and in tremendous last to first fashion by old timer Bubbly Totti – who might be four years old, but showed great zest and enthusiasm as he powered through to lead up the long run in. Bosscroker, who had disputed from half before leading at the third, was second . Early leader Monleek Cowboy was destined not to survive despite finishing third

Heat 6

Westmead Scolari

Glynscross Mal

(only first two qualify)

Another from the rear, this time Westmead Scolari, slow away, but went up fast before going off wide at the turn. Glynscross Mal had pinged but was beaten for pace up by Shams Star, who was clear down the back before tiring badly. Glynnscross Mal found himself back in front but had no answer to the run of Westmead Scolari, and was almost knocked out when Romeo Maldini came last, but missed out by a head when finishing such an unlucky third.

Heat 7

Bandicoot Tipoki

Astral Bound

Honey Trampas

Bandicoot Tipoki blew these away. Astral Bound and Bridge Bond trapped marginally ahead, but Bandicoot Tipoki was different class as he effortlessly surged to the front. This lookedand was a track record with 28.26sec. He won by over seven lengths

Astral Bound turned and stayed second. Honey Trampas needs to sharpen his trapping, but survives for Sunday's draw.

Heat 8

Yahoo Jamie

Moneygall Obama

Rainham Giles

Yahoo Jamie trapped and raced to a fastest sectional so far with 4.72sec. He moved to the middle from trap six (he is seeded middle) and was a comfortable near five lengths winner.

Moneygall Obama and Rainham Giles go through.
Men Of Hope moved wide after a first bend baulk.

It looked a fast time, but not as fast as kennelmate Tipoki. It was 28.55sec.

Heat 9

Droopys Joe

Judicial Pause

(only first two qualify)

Another win off the back as game Droopys Joe battled to the front down the long run in to peg back Judicial Pause by just over a length (28.65sec). Judicial Pause who had flown early after showing an impressive burst of to beat up Stemart Knut (unluckily third in a two qualifier heat - the last one of those this evening)

Heat 10

Krug Ninety Five

Sevenheads Bay

Barnfield Rocky

Disaster for ante-post favourite Eye Onthe Storm, who appeared to break down at the third bend when holding a qualifying position. The race continued to stunned silence. Irish Laurels hero Sevenheads Bay, after mastering Barnfield Rocky, had taken a lead down the back, but was picked up by Fraser Black's Krug Ninety Five (8-1, 28.72sec) on the run in with Barnfield Rocky third.

Heat 11 (and last of Thursday)

Broadstrand Bill

Fear The Blue

Deanridge Ammo

Westmead Carl turned sharp left from trap 3 to hamper the inside pair, and then went up fast, though Broadstrand Bill (10-1), given all the room in the world, tookthe advantage and kicked clear rounding the first two bends. Westmead Carl tired, with Fear The Blue running on well to be only beaten a neck, with Deanridge Ammo in third another two lengths back.

Old April 30th, 2010, 14:35
talk sport tipster

A night of shocks, sadness, and records . . .

WELL, the competition promised to be full of shocks and the opening night of the williamhill.com greyhound Derby certainly did not disappoint.

With the ante-post favourite, Lenson Bolt, Slick Robert, Faypoint Man, and old favourite Bandicoot Tipoki on the card there was an abundance of top-notch greyhounds to entertain, with a few surprises from the new kids on the block too.

Eye OnThe Storm’s sad,sad departure from the competition actually gave me the worst, and the best moment of the evening in completely contrasting ways. No-one ever likes to see a dog of that calibre break-down, and it was all too reminiscent of the sad night that Premier Fantasy left the Derby. The high-point actually came when the crowd applauded him as he was carried away by his kennelhands. Yet another reminder of the generousity of spirit, and passion that greyhound fans have for the sport. After being at Imperial Kennels the other day we all send out best wishes to Mark and the team, and hope the outlook looks okay for ‘Frankie’.

The opening heat saw a storming run from Eye Eye Pickle, and the first lowering of the track record with a time of 28.48. The well-backed Lenson Bolt happily qualified for one of my favourite owners in the game Len Ponder, with Dean Child’s Swift Planet in second.

Westmead Bond showed a clean pair of heels to win thesecond heat, and possibly the Guinness Book of Record award for the shortest track-record in existence, when just 15mins after ‘Pickle’s win he shaved ten spots off the new track record to score in a scorching 28.38.

Faypoint Man failed to oblige for odds-on backers, instead leaving victory to Alec Stone’s Loyal Rebel, whilst Archaton Pine lead-home Tranquil Time leaving favourite Droopys Bradley cuttingly eliminated in third place.

Wewere standing at the track tonight and it was ‘here come the girls’ as I jumped up to bet with my all-female team off Charlotte clerking, and Ruby – one of our local cashiers on the bag. I’m not sure whether the glamour attracted any new clientele, but it must be a first for greyhound racing to have an XX-chromosome lead bookies!

Anyway, I hadn’t expected any real fireworks on the betting front, but heat five attracted a spread of money for plenty of different dogs. Fair bets were fielded for Monleek Cowboy in trap two, and Bosscroker in five left us with almost a skinner for one of my favourite veterans Bubbly Totti. Stevie Fluin’s syndicate dog then fired one hometo a few ‘aye, ayes’ from the Hills pitch! Early money always talks volumes though, and the shrewdies were out as soon as we priced-up the heat to take the opening 7-2.

Westmead Scolari fired another win in for theindomitable Derby combination of Nick Savva and Bob Morton coming from behind to pick-up Glynncross Mal and prevail by half-a-length.

The aforementioned Bandicoot Tipoki duly obliged my nerdy side (Crash Bandicoot computer game fan!) to prevail for Derby king Charlie Lister and also made it a triumvirate of track records with an electric 28.26sec. But it was Yahoo Jamie’s victory that truly shocked me. Having gone through the card earlier on he was one that really left me cold and I thought he and Troys Expert were opposable, in favour of Moneygall Obama. With the five-dog unlayable, it was ‘pay, pay’ to the punters this time, but I sincerely felt that the blue dog,brave in defeat was the one to take out of the race. If he’d broken level with Jamie he’d have gone even closer, and he palpably deserves another look in the next round. Yet another lesson in never underestimating Charlie Lister!

The Hungarian-trained Stemart Knut attracted a fair amount of money in the ring – although none of it came from South London accents! Which goes to show what a multi-national following this sport attracts. Droopys Joe fired in another one for favourite backers after being punted into evens from 6/5, and obliged in a fair time of 28.65.

Friday looks like being another belter of an evening. Mesedo Blue represents 2008 winning trainer Seamus Cahill in the opener, whilst Fear Zafonic will be looking to emulate his lightning-fast trial of last week in heat 14 at 8.15pm. I’m looking forward to seeing Diane Henry’s Juvenile winner Ten Large Down come out at 9.15pm, and some well-informed individuals tell me to expect big things from Westmead Grant at 10pm.

If Friday night delivers half of what we’ve seen Friday, it’ll still be a night to remember. Get down to the ‘Don or watch in any of the Hills shops, or online at www.williamhill.com. Just don’t miss out!

Latest Hills' betting (12-1 the field):
12-1 Banidcoot Tipoki, Fear Zafonic, 14 Mesedo Blue, Nambisco, 20Ten Large Down, Toomaline Jack, Tullymurry Jack, Westmead Grant, Yahoo Jamie, 25 Kurg Ninety Five, 33 Barefoot Bullet, 40 bar.

Old April 30th, 2010, 14:37
talk sport tipster

You win a Derby, then get such a horrible body-blow

A HORRIBLE drive home lay ahead for Patrick Janssens, assistant trainer for Mark Wallis. He was trying to put a brave face on things – and it’s not the end ofthe world – but it was the last time we will see Eye Onthe Storm race.

It is not a good memory, as the stricken dog kept on trying to run, but this appeared a severely broken hock and there can be no point bringing a dog of that class back. A few moments after the race, the only issue for me was just how bad was the injury? But it sounds as if a career at stud now awaits, so again, it’s not hopeless.

Total silence enveloped the stand when he broke down at the third. He had overcome his poor draw, and looked set to qualify, but scrimmaging in front caught him slightly unawares, then suddenly he had injured himself.

It was a racing injury. There is no fault, but that does not make it any easier to bear for his connections. The Derby dream has ended – and for a kennel that last year went through the most unexpected high thanks to Kinda Ready.

Hard to imagine that the very next night of the same event held this. Life and sport can be so cruel. It will be hard for owner John Keefe; his brilliantly fast dog had delivered such wonderful wins to excite and dream over. But now, John will be only shedding tears.

It is these highs and lows of this game which are so extraordinary. To think on the same evening, less than an hour earlier, we also saw one of the all time great runs.

Bandicoot Tipoki is a dog of the highest class, and although Bridge Bond and Astral Bound both trapped ahead, within strides Bandicoot Tipoki blew them away with the most extraordinary burst of raw speed.

You shiver when you see such ability and power. It was a newtrack record for the changed circuit, and who knows how long it will stand, maybe just one night. But its manner will last for ever in those who witnessed it.

Two contrasting elements: one unwanted, the other rare and so sought after. One dream shattered, another [Ray White’s] is fuelled up by his Tipoki. This is the Greyhound Derby.

Old May 11th, 2010, 22:17
Dedicated Punter

Not logged on for a while.

I have backed Bandicoot Tipoki (was 33/1) and Westmead Grant (42/1) and have just backed Nambisco (16/1) antepost.

Will be laying Toomaline Jack to qualify in the 3rd round - got a horrendous draw he could well win but at the likely odds of 1/4 to qualify ill lay it!