Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Walter is staying !!!!

Old September 5th, 2008, 23:31
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Walter is staying !!!!

West Ham have confirmed the signing of Uruguayan defender Walter Lopez on a one-year contract.

The 22-year-old was a free agent after leaving River Plate and had attracted interest from across Europe.

However, having impressed during a trial period at Upton Park, he has decided on a switch to England.

He has already earned three caps for his country, while his attacking instincts mean he is equally comfortable operating in a midfield role if required.

Hammers caretaker manager Kevin Keen admits he has been impressed by the youngster during his time at the club and is tipping him to be a success.

"Walter is a very attacking full-back who can get forward," Keen told the club's official website.

"Like (fellow new recruit) David Di Michele, he is another West Ham-type player who will hopefully show everyone at the club what he can do."

Lopez has previously enjoyed spells in Spain and Mexico but is delighted to have arrived in the Premier League.

"I am really happy to be here and I hope to have a good career," he said.

"Upton Park is a beautiful stadium and it will be great to play for West Ham. I am looking forward to it.

"It is a great club and there are some great players at the club. I know about many of them like Lucas Neill and Craig Bellamy. Everyone has made me feel very welcome.

"I watch the Premier League all the time on TV. It is the No.1 league in the world, the best and it is great to be part of it.

"I am very happy that I am here and I get to play for West Ham. The fans are very passionate and I hope to show them what I can do."

Walter Lopez
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walterlopez_1172287.jpg (27.9 KB, 1 views)
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:30
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default I'd luv it !!

Former West Ham favourite Paolo Di Canio has revealed his "pride" at being linked with the Upton Park managerial vacancy and claimed the claret and blue shirt "still feels like a second skin".

The 40-year-old Italian, who played for the Hammers between 1999 and 2003, is one of the names being touted as Alan Curbishley's successor following his resignation on Wednesday.

Di Canio, who gained his UEFA coaching licence in April, told the Sun: "West Ham is a unique club and history means something. The fact we've had so few managers and the fact the vast majority were former players is important.

"For me the shirt still feels like a second skin and I've followed West Ham as a fan ever since I left. I saw them play twice last season and know some of the players personally.

"Of course, as a professional, I'm going to consider every offer. But the fact that I've been linked to the West Ham job is a huge source of pride for me."

Di Canio is a controversial figure but he insists his career can follow the same path as Roy Keane, who is now a respected manager at Sunderland after a fiery career on the pitch.

"When you grow older, if you're intelligent, you learn your role and adjust," he continued.

"Look at Roy Keane. As a player, people talked about the red mist descending, they said he could channel it on the pitch but that he was simply too intense to be a manager.

"Well, look at him now. He has embraced his job and his responsibility. He's doing a great job at Sunderland and you can see he is calm and controlled during and after games.

"Why? Because he's an intelligent guy who has grown into a different role. I like to think it can be the same with me."

updated BTD

You'll do for me, Paolo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paulo_Di_Canio_654944.jpg (19.2 KB, 0 views)