View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2016, 14:40
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Wink Icespire - (One for the notebook)

Icespire strikes on debut - (October 10 2016)

Icespire became the latest offspring of Frankel to make a winning debut when she came from last to first to land the Bathwick Tyres British Stallion Studs EBF Maiden Fillies' Stakes at Salisbury.

There was plenty of stable confidence in the youngster, wearing the colours of her sire's owner Khalid Abdullah, and it was justified as she showed a touch of class, despite an inauspicious start.

Rab Havlin was in no hurry on the John Gosden-trained filly, who was wearing a hood, after she missed a beat coming out of the stalls.

Once she got into a rhythm, Havlin asked her to weave through the field which she did with the minimum of effort.

Soon in front, the 6-4 favourite won comfortably by four lengths from Mouille Point, with Crimson Lake a neck away in third.

"She just stood in the stalls. She was relaxed, but a month ago she was a bit of a handful," Havlin told Racing UK.

"She was the ultimate professional but when the gates opened she stood still, so I just took my time on her.

"She used to get on her toes a bit, but we've kept the same rider on her every day. She wears the hood at home every day and has been as good as gold on it.

"I rode her work on Friday and she felt classy and she gave me that feel here.

"She'll definitely get further. She's a lengthener and she settled into a rhythm really nicely.

"She's a big-framed filly and will be a lovely filly next year."