View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2009, 15:45
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Final Touches

Champion Hurdle favourite "Binocular" satisfied trainer Nicky Henderson in a racecourse spin at Kempton ahead of his Cheltenham Festival bid.
The five-year-old has dominated the market for the Smurfit Kappa-sponsored event after scoring an easy success at Ascot before Christmas.
He has not been seen on the track since December but was reunited with big-race rider Tony McCoy on Wednesday morning, when he was one of seven horses to work on the all-weather at the Sunbury venue.

Galloping in company with Coral Cup-bound The Polomoche, Binocular worked over a mile and a half, setting off from the two-furlong marker before completing a full circuit of the track.
Henderson said: "Tony got off and said he had a good blow.
"You could see from where we were standing he had a blow and he had another one turning in. He's a stuffy horse and needs plenty (of work).
"He is one person that we've not run since December on purpose and we could have done without 14 days locked up in the cupboard so to speak.
"He was the interrupted person. He was the one horse that needed this workout more than the others - they were here for a day out and a bit of fun.
"He is stuffy and will do that (have a blow), and The Polomoche is a very good work horse."

Stable jockey Barry Geraghty was aboard The Polomoche and also partnered JCB Triumph Hurdle favourite "Zaynar" as he undertook a similar gallop.
The four-year-old is unbeaten in two British starts but he was made to work by the McCoy-ridden Aigle D'Or - another Coral Cup contender - in their spin.
Henderson added: "He wants pace but it's all there and he keeps picking up and picking up like he did at Ascot.
"Barry said Ascot didn't suit him as well as Newbury. He is lazy and probably a bit inexperienced but he jumps."

Cesarewitch winner Caracciola was also in action with Zaynar and Aigle D'Or and he will tackle the Pertemps Final, although Henderson has already set his sights on a big Flat prize for his veteran performer.
He explained: "We're getting him ready for the Melbourne Cup as his owner is very keen.
"Tell that to the Aussies and they'll go ballistic as they've never seen a 12-year-old before."

Others having a spin were the Geraghty-ridden My Petra, and French Opera, who was steered by Marcus Foley.
The latter is set to bid for glory in the Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Chase - a race named in memory of Henderson's father - but My Petra's target is far from certain. "I'm not sure where My Petra will run, she's there as a standby for Chomba Womba in the David Nicholson," he explained.
"She has plenty of other entries and where she runs will depend on the ground as she likes it quick."

Kempton clerk of the course Brian Clifford had prepared a strip around the outside of the track for Henderson's team and the Seven Barrow trainer acknowledged his efforts.
"I want to thank Kempton and Barney Clifford very much as they have done a very good job of setting the track up as we want it," he said.

Henderson has not yet completed his Festival preparations, with leading World Hurdle contender "Punchestowns" and Cheltenham Gold Cup hope Barbers Shop set to be put through their paces over the weekend.
"We will work another batch of horses at Newbury on Sunday including Mad Max, Punchestowns, Barbers Shop, The Market Man and a few others, to do the same thing as we've done this morning," Henderson added.
"These were the early-in-the-week horses and to go to Newbury would be too close to the Tuesday and Wednesday of the Festival."

update BTD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Punchestowns_1657953.jpg (18.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg zaynar_1642814.jpg (33.3 KB, 0 views)