View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2016, 00:28
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default End of play (Day 1)

American Jimmy Walker says that finding the fairways is crucial at Baltrusol after his opening round of 65 at the PGA Championship.

Walker shot a bogey-free 32 on the back nine, having started at the 10th, and a birdie at the first made it five gains in seven holes from the 13th.

His one and only bogey of the round came at the sixth after he had pulled his tee shot left into the rough but a 30-footer for birdie at the seventh got him back to five under.

"I made a lot of really quality shots on my front nine, the back," said Walker. "I made some good putts and hit a close couple of times. The birdies on 15 and 16 were nice and I made a good par on 17 - I had to pitch out in the fairway and lay-up again.

"I made a good par save on four. Hit some quality shots coming in on seven, eight and nine, so that was good.

"The rough is a challenge. You can either catch a nice lie or you can get one that's a pitch out. You really wanted to stay in the fairway so you can have control of the golf ball.

"The greens were very receptive. I felt like if you were hitting from the short grass, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted with the golf ball in the green."

Having set the pace early, Walker believes he has done everything he can to come give himself a chance of coming out on top come Sunday.

"It would be huge [to win a major]," Walker added. "The whole purpose and the goal in being here is to win.

"I feel like I've prepared and I'm ready to go this week. It's nice that that's what showed today. I felt like I was ready to go. So winning a major is huge. Three more days to go. There will be a lot more too."