View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2015, 21:32
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Joe Philbin - Sacked

Dolphins sack coach Joe Philbin (October 5 2015)

Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin has been sacked in the aftermath of their Wembley loss to AFC East rivals the New York Jets on Sunday afternoon.

For the second successive year an NFL head coach has paid with his job for a Transatlantic defeat, with the Oakland Raiders removing Dennis Allen last September following their 38-17 loss to the Dolphins in the capital.

Like Allen, Philbin's position seemed untenable after a lacklustre London performance where Miami were poor across the board against the Jets, who won the 100th meeting between the two by a 27-14 scoreline.

Philbin, who had not presided over a winning record in his three previous seasons in the Sunshine State, had said he was not worried about his job security in his post-game press conference at Wembley but, less than 24 hours after full-time, he was fired with the Dolphins at 1-3 for the campaign.

In a statement, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said: "This was a tough decision for me to make knowing how tirelessly Joe worked in his four years here to make this a winning team.

"He is a man of the highest character and integrity that I developed a close personal relationship with.

"I am extremely disappointed with how we have started the season, but I feel confident that we can improve quickly with the talent we have on our roster. We will soon be announcing an interim coach to lead the team going forward."

The Dolphins later announced that Dan Campbell, their tight ends coach for the past five seasons, would assume the role of interim head coach.