View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2017, 23:44
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default John Gosden says Cracksman will head for The Derby

John Gosden is aiming his exciting colt Cracksman at the Investec Derby Trial at Epsom after deciding to skip the 2000 Guineas. (Racing UK)

Owned by Anthony Oppenheimer, the son of Frankel created a big impression when winning on his debut at Newmarket in October.

Cracksman galloped at Chelmsford before racing on Thursday under Frankie Dettori with stablemate Bois De Boulogne.

"Frankie was on board Cracksman and went what the Americans call wire-to-wire," said Gosden.

"I was pleased with the way he lengthened well. We are pointing him towards the race at Epsom.

"We did supplement him for the Derby. We had him entered in the Guineas, but he looks like he will be more happier over middle distances.

"He won a mile maiden at Newmarket on his only start last year and came up the hill well."

Another Frankel colt, Monarchs Glen, will be stepped up in class after making a mockery of an opening handicap mark of 87 at Kempton on Wednesday evening.

Gosden said: "He is very talented and he won his maiden well. He is a strong-willed horse. He finally relaxed after the back straight. He surprised Frankie how well he defeated a field full of winners.

"We will head towards the Classic Trial at Sandown."

Shutter Speed, a daughter of Dansili, has won her only race to date but Gosden will keep her low-key for now.

He said: "She is more likely to go to the conditions race at Newbury on the Friday. She has been working nicely and I am looking forward to running her. The Guineas is not on the agenda.

"She has been very good at home and I am happy with her. When she won her maiden it was only in the last furlong that she asserted. Everything she has done suggests she is more of a mile-and-a-quarter filly.

"I like to take things one step at a time, but if she is good enough she will then go for a smart fillies' race."