View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2015, 15:07
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Al Kazeem still brilliant in the Cup

Popular veteran Al Kazeem clinched another Group One prize in a thrilling renewal of the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh.

The Roger Charlton-trained seven-year-old claimed the first of three top-level victories in this event two years ago and returned from an unsuccessful stint at stud almost as good as ever last season, going down narrowly in the Champion Stakes at Ascot.

Having made a winning reappearance at Longchamp before being denied by Cirrus Des Aigles in the Prix Ganay, Al Kazeem was sent off at 3/1 on his return to Ireland and raced with his usual enthusiasm throughout in the hands of James Doyle.

Postponed employed a front-running role from the outset, with fellow British raiders The Grey Gatsby and Al Kazeem his closest pursuers.

Heading inside the last two furlongs, Al Kazeem was initially short of room as he angled for a gap between runners, but bravely went between rivals to get to the lead.

For a moment it looked as though Fascinating Rock was being produced to foil the raiding party, but Al Kazeem held him off under a jubilant Doyle, who was winning the race for the third successive year.

Postponed was close-up in third, with 11/10 favourite The Grey Gatsby a disappointing fourth.

"I can't speak highly enough of this horse," Doyle told At The Races. "The ground today was absolutely perfect. I just felt it was a bit holding in France and he got stuck in it, but he's a class horse and once he got his shoulder in that gap I knew he'd take a bit of beating. He's a big horse.

"I knew passing the three he was cantering and we were going very well. He's everything you look for in a racehorse. He looked an absolute picture beforehand and he's a credit to his connections."

Al Kazeem: A brilliant performance from the popular veteran.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg al-kazeem-sl_3054463.jpg (95.9 KB, 0 views)