View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2014, 19:23
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Wink Al's back and going in the Arc !

Al Kazeem given Arc go-ahead

Owner John Deer confirmed Al Kazeem an intended runner in Sunday's Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp.

Roger Charlton's six-year-old also holds an entry in Saturday's BMW Cumberland Lodge Stakes at Ascot, but he will instead bid for Arc glory for a second time, with regular rider James Doyle set to be on board in Paris.

The three-times Group One winner was brought back into training with Charlton earlier this year following an unsuccessful stint at stud.

Following a pleasing comeback at Newbury and a return to winning ways in the Winter Hill Stakes at Windsor, Al Kazeem came up short when fifth in the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown, but Deer is keen to see how he fares back over a mile and a half.

He said: "I'm pretty sure he's going to go to France.

"He seems to be in good form and is going nicely on the gallops and we're keen to give it a go.

"I'm not sure what the ground is going to be like, possibly good to firm.

"I believe James is available, which is a big help."

Al Kazeem was a creditable sixth in last year's Arc, but looks sure to encounter less demanding conditions upon his return to France.

Although there is little rain forecast, course officials have no plan to water, according to the International Racing Bureau.

A statement on the IRB website read: "The ground (on Tuesday) at Longchamp is officially good.

"The clerk of the course has said that there is very little rain forecast for this week and he does not intend watering and expects the ground to be good.

"He will try and have it the same as it was for the Arc trials on September 14."