Thread: TPC @ Sawgrass
View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:04
Dedicated Punter

Default TPC @ Sawgrass

Hi All,

The TPC @ Sawgrass starts tomorrow in Florida - widely reknowned as the Tours "5th Major", the event is always worth watching as a spectacle, not least for the infamous 17th green - which from the tee looks like a postage stamp...and having stood on the tee myself, I know!!!

From a betting perspective, the event is theoretically more attractive with the fact that the TPC is Tiger-less...an operation keeping the phenom on the sidelines. So for a nice change, its not just a likely each-way value bet we can search for.

My idea of the winner at this stage is Jim Furyk. Around the 18/1 mark, Jim is one of the most accurate, consistent tee to green players on the circuit and has the stats to back it up, which is absolutely necessary at Sawgress. He has a very deft short game and while his putter can take some time to heat up, he can make enough putts to always keep himself there and there abouts at the business end of tourneys. He has a good record in past TPC's and has the big event temperament to do very well this time around.

For other players who will give you a very good run for your money and good e/w alternatives, with chances to turn your stake into a very nice payday, look at Hunter Mahan (75/1 Bet365), Justin Leonard (70/1) and Paul Casey (100/1). The first two again are very high on the greens in regulation and driving accuracy stats lists, with Leonard enjoying an Indian Summer of a season in his long and distinguished career. Hunter Mahan has a big win waiting to happen in him whilst Casey - a Brit based in America - keeping himself focused on the bigger events this season to continue his push for a Ryder Cup place and he was very much in the mix at the Masters until a final round mare - which at Augusta is very easy to do.

My bets/forecasts for the tournament then :

2 pts win Jim Furyk
2 pts e/w Justin Leonard
1 pt e/w Hunter Mahan and Paul Casey