Thread: Predictions?
View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2007, 16:13
Totally biased football fan!

Hi PFan,

I take your point about so many Utd fans who have never been to OT or Chelsea fans that have never been to the bridge. This fact can be used against any successful club in the last 40 years, E.g. Leeds Utd of the early 70's, Liverpool of the late 70's and most of the 80's, Everton in the 80's, the blip by Blackburn in the 90's, Arsenal in the 90's, Utd in the 90's and 00's and now Chelsea. If ever M'boro, Derby Portsmouth or say Villa become sucessful, i'm sure they'd have a bigger fan base with some of the fans never going to the ground to see a game.

It's a logical step for any one new to football to follow a successful club. The other reason to follow a club is parental/peer pressue. My 2 sons follow Utd how ever my daughter follows Chelsea - plan to have DNA testing regarding her - some say it's poor parenting on my part regarding her choice of club! Could be worse she could support the Micky mousers.

As for my club, they have been the best supported football in the last 60 years. Out of the last 60 seasons, Utd have had the highest average attendance 46 times. 7 out of the 14 when they did not, it was due to ground redevelopment. We even had the highest average in the country when we were in the old 2nd division. We averaged 49K, the next best was Liverpool at 46K who were in the old 1st division.

I personally welcome all supporters to my club, whether they come to the game or not. I'm lucky that my circumstances allow me to attend 20+ matches a season. Others pay the their Sky sports subs and support football that way.

To be honest the way football is bleeding the fans dry, we should all stay away and make them think again!!! But like so many i'm an addict!

I started in life with nothing and i've managed to keep hold of most of it