View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2008, 14:54
Dedicated Punter

Default The Shark's Divisional Review

Seeing as at least two people are enjoying the NFL season preview (or just humouring me!) and seeing as im a total NFL junkie, i thought id do a division by division review for the forthcoming season.

Wont do them all in one go, just one at a time over the next few weeks, but i'll start with the one I know most about, and will try and be as fair and objective as possible...though please note this first one will be like me trying to review a division that contains just Derby Co, Notts Forest, Leicester Chity and dirty Leeds.

NFC EAST - teams : New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles and the Washington Redskins

Last season order of finishing with season Won/Loss record:

1. Dallas Cowboys 13-3 (lost to Giants in NFC Divisional play off game)
2. New York Giants 10-6 (won the Superbowl)
3. Washington Redskins 9-7 (lost to Seattle in Wildcard play off game)
4. Philadelphia Eagles 8-8 (did not qualify for playoffs)

DALLAS COWBOYS.

Swallows the bile back down.....Dallas are known as "Americas Team" and are probably the most famous/successful NFL team of all time (very arguably). They currently have a very strong squad, lead by QB Tony Romo, though he is more famous for dating Jessica Simpson. But with Marion Barber at RB, and the "love him if he plays for your team otherwise hate him" Terrell Owens at WR, they do, unfortunately, remain the team to beat in the NFC East. Notorious for starting off awesome and then choking as the season heats up (like Liverpool in the EPL) Dallas will be looking a postseason football at a minimum but will be many peoples tip to be the NFC rep at this years Superbowl.

Offensive Rating : 9/10
Defensive Rating : 8/10

My prediction : 12-4, playoffs but no SB appearance again for the Redskins most hated of rivals.

NEW YORK GIANTS.

I still do not know how this bunch of non-descripts won the Superbowl. OK, non-descripts a touch harsh, but the "Big Blue" surely cannot repeat last years against all odds success. They have lost one of their talismen, Jeremy Shockey, to the New Orleans Saints, and have a few injury concerns, but either way, Eli Manning and Co will not be a surprise package anymore and have the weight of defending Champs to play to as well. In this rough and tough division, I see them struggling, even though their coach, Tom Coughlin, will be as tactically astute as ever.

Offensive Rating : 7/10
Defensive Rating : 7/10

My prediction : 7-9, no playoffs this year and a poor defence of the Crown.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

New Head Coach Jim Zorn brings his West Coast offense to DC, which should give more potency to Washingtons offense, which sometimes does struggle to put points on the board. However, young QB Jason Campbell will have more weapons to fire this season, with the Skins using their draft picks wisely to enhance their WR corps which now looks very healthy, along with top notch TE Chris Cooley and stud RB Clinton Portis. The defense has also been strengthened, with Pro Bowl veteran Jason Taylor added to a high rated D from Miami which will give the Skins a great pass rush as well as a talented secondary. For once the Skins have a decent looking schedule and if they can negotiate the usual intense games against their divisional rivals, they could well push the Cowgirls all the way.

Offensive Rating : 7.5/10
Defensive Rating : 8.5/10

My prediction : 11-5, playoff football...and im dreaming of what could be for my beloved boys....

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

The Eagles will always be dangerous opponents, but they are not the force of a few seasons ago, despite having probably the best all purpose RB in the NFL in Brian Westbrook. Their QB, Donovan McNabb, is now aging and quite injury prone, and there seems to be no confidence in the backup QB's in Philly. The defense is very suspect against the pass, and games often end in shootouts. The Evil Birds will be no pushovers, but I think there is more hope than expectation in Philly this season, and a .500 record will be fairly well received I believe.

Offensive Rating : 7.5/10 (would be 6 if not for Westbrook, watch out of he gets injured!)
Defensive Rating : 7/10

My Prediction : 7-9, struggle again for Philly and a battle to avoid the wooden spoon placing with NYG.

NFC EAST OVERALL

Without doubt the most combative division in the NFC and rivalled only by the AFC South in the NFL overall. Much will depend on the divisional matchups - if these are shared equally then you could again see three teams qualifying from this division. However i see the division being a shootout between the two most intense rivals in the NFL, the Cowboys and the Redskins, with both the Giants and the Eagles struggling to keep pace.

1. Cowboys
2. Redskins
3. Giants
4. Eagles